Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

5.2 effects on pvp for Warriors

HUGE CHANGE 10-1-2013:

Warrior (Forums, Talent Calculator)
    •Defensive Stance now decreases damage taken by 15%, down from 25%.
    •Impending Victory now heals you for 15% of your maximum health, up from 10%.
    •Second Wind - Whenever you are below 35% health, you regenerate 3% health per second, up from 2%.

Talents
    •Second Wind - Whenever you are below 35% health, you regenerate 3% health per second, up from 2%.

Arms
    •Slam now does 220% weapon damage plus 2,193, up from 190% weapon damage plus 1,894.

Fury
    •Bloodsurge now reduces the Rage cost by 30 of your next 3 Wild Strikes, up from 20 Rage.

Protection
    •Unwavering Sentinel now increases the damage reduction of Defensive Stance by 10%.

Oh my... what I feared has actually happened. This is a big nerf for Warriors in PvP, purely for PvP aswell since protection Warriors get the 10% back from Unwavering Sentinel. They buffed Second Wind again but that's not even part of the discussion with this nerf anymore. I sit in Defensive Stance most of the time, but with this nerf I might change it to Battle Stance and just switch and sit in Defensive Stance when I'm walling. Hopefully Blizzard will change their minds. This is not good.

-------------------------------

Before I say anything go read up on the changes, I summed up the changes that affect Arms Warriors in PvP here:

•Taste for Blood has been redesigned. It now causes the Warrior to gain 2 stacks of Overpower (maximum of 5 stacks) when Mortal Strike deals damage or the target dodges, and no longer interacts with Heroic Strike. It now requires level 20 (was level 50).

•Slam now deals 220% weapon damage (was 190%).

•Shockwave now has a 40 second cooldown (was 20 seconds), striking 3 or more targets will reduce its cooldown by 20 seconds.

•Second Wind now causes a Warrior that has been reduced to 35% health or lower to regenerate 2% of their health per second (was 3%), and now generates 15 Rage over 10 seconds (was 20 Rage).

•Warbringer now reduces the target's movement by 50% for 15 seconds (8 seconds in PvP) in addition to its other effects.

•Storm Bolt now deals 125% weapon damage (was 100%).

•Glyph of Death from Above no longer increases the damage dealt by Heroic Leap.

First of all we can see that Blizzard thinks Shockwave has too much control atm by doubling the cooldown to 40 seconds. Hitting 3 or more targets will reduce its cooldown by 20 seconds, that's fun, but not very realistic in most Arena situations. A decent but very different alternative for Shockwave is Dragon Roar. A very strong damage ability but has a 1 minute cooldown, which I think won't replace the control Shockwave has. I can see many Warriors going Dragon Roar next patch because of the Shockwave nerf. In the end it's all about your comp, playstyle and preference. Í will probably stick to Shockwave.

The Second Wind nerf is a nerf that everyone knew was going to happen before MoP even came out. I don't think it's going to affect Warriors too much, at least, not in 3s. In 2s Second Wind is really strong and it will have a slight impact. I wouldn't be too worried.

Many high rated Warriors are already playing with the Storm Bolt talent right now, leaving Avatar behind. The % of Warriors that will choose Storm Bolt above Avatar is only going to go up with the 25% extra weapon damage increase and the nerf of shockwave. Control is only going to be more important with the overall nerfs of cc. I'm personally already playing with Storm Bolt, not liking the long cooldown of Avatar. It's very good for kills but also for peels.

With the Warbringer buff of slowing a target for 50% for 8 seconds I would say this is a no-brainer now. Glyph of Death from the above no longer increases the damage of Heroic Leap. No triple 50k crits anymore? Unfortunate.

Taste of Blood gets redesigned and thank God for that. Stacks didn't make any sense anymore after the nerf. It seems Mortal Strike, Overpower and Slam are the 3 abillities that can build up synergy without an annoying off-global Heroic Strike that you only use when you have one stack. The weapon damage of Slam gets increased by 30% aswell so there will only be an increase of damage.

Conclusion: Warriors will be affected by the control nerf but won't have any loss in damage and perhaps even an increase with the redesign of Taste of Blood and the increased damage of Slam (I'll have to play PTR for any of that information). The Shockwave nerf doubles its cooldown so the ability will have to be used very efficiently. Many will swap from Avatar to Storm Bolt and perhaps leave Shockwave behind for more burst with Dragon Roar but in the end, like I've mentioned before, it's all about your playstyle, comp, and preference.

Please leave behind more information if you have any and your thoughts about the Warrior changes.

I greet you.
    Last edited by Ariavo; 2013-01-10 at 12:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariavo View Post
    Before I say anything go read up on the changes, I summed up the changes that affect Arms Warriors in PvP here:

•Taste for Blood has been redesigned. It now causes the Warrior to gain 2 stacks of Overpower (maximum of 5 stacks) when Mortal Strike deals damage or the target dodges, and no longer interacts with Heroic Strike. It now requires level 20 (was level 50).

•Slam now deals 220% weapon damage (was 190%).

•Shockwave now has a 40 second cooldown (was 20 seconds), striking 3 or more targets will reduce its cooldown by 20 seconds.

•Second Wind now causes a Warrior that has been reduced to 35% health or lower to regenerate 2% of their health per second (was 3%), and now generates 15 Rage over 10 seconds (was 20 Rage).

•Warbringer now reduces the target's movement by 50% for 15 seconds (8 seconds in PvP) in addition to its other effects.

•Storm Bolt now deals 125% weapon damage (was 100%).

•Glyph of Death from Above no longer increases the damage dealt by Heroic Leap.

First of all we can see that Blizzard thinks Shockwave has too much control atm by doubling the cooldown to 40 seconds. Hitting 3 or more targets will reduce its cooldown by 20 seconds, that's fun, but not very realistic in most Arena situations. A decent but very different alternative for Shockwave is Dragon Roar. A very strong damage ability but has a 1 minute cooldown, which I think won't replace the control Shockwave has. I can see many Warriors going Dragon Roar next patch because of the Shockwave nerf. In the end it's all about your comp, playstyle and preference. Í will probably stick to Shockwave.

The Second Wind nerf is a nerf that everyone knew was going to happen before MoP even came out. I don't think it's going to affect Warriors too much, at least, not in 3s. In 2s Second Wind is really strong and it will have a slight impact. I wouldn't be too worried.

Many high rated Warriors are already playing with the Storm Bolt talent right now, leaving Avatar behind. The % of Warriors that will choose Storm Bolt above Avatar is only going to go up with the 25% extra weapon damage increase and the nerf of shockwave. Control is only going to be more important with the overall nerfs of cc. I'm personally already playing with Storm Bolt, not liking the long cooldown of Avatar. It's very good for kills but also for peels.

With the Warbringer buff of slowing a target for 50% for 8 seconds I would say this is a no-brainer now. Glyph of Death from the above no longer increases the damage of Heroic Leap. No triple 50k crits anymore? Unfortunate.

Taste of Blood gets redesigned and thank God for that. Stacks didn't make any sense anymore after the nerf. It seems Mortal Strike, Overpower and Slam are the 3 abillities that can build up synergy without an annoying off-global Heroic Strike that you only use when you have one stack. The weapon damage of Slam gets increased by 30% aswell so there will only be an increase of damage.

Conclusion: Warriors will be affected by the control nerf but won't have any loss in damage and perhaps even an increase with the redesign of Taste of Blood and the increased damage of Slam (I'll have to play PTR for any of that information). The Shockwave nerf doubles its cooldown so the ability will have to be used very efficiently. Many will swap from Avatar to Storm Bolt and perhaps leave Shockwave behind for more burst with Dragon Roar but in the end, like I've mentioned before, it's all about your playstyle, comp, and preference.

Please leave behind more information if you have any and your thoughts about the Warrior changes.

I greet you.
    "Second Wind now causes a Warrior that has been reduced to 35% health or lower to regenerate 2% of their health per second (was 3%), and now generates 15 Rage over 10 seconds (was 20 Rage)."

hopefully your right and blizz does not make 2nd wind so weak they brake it.going from 3% heal down to 2% then add in the -30% battle fatigue defuff and your looking at what 1.7% heal.now MS effects would effect that also.thats a huge nerf,like i said hopefully they dont brake the talent.

these nerfs+ the rest of the nerfs that warriors got in mop but warriors about one big nerf away from being cata bad again.if and when blizz nerfs cd stacking in 5.3 that will be what kils warriors.

look what monks got - Gag order silence baked into their interrupt, double hamstring root.warriors once had nice things .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    "Second Wind now causes a Warrior that has been reduced to 35% health or lower to regenerate 2% of their health per second (was 3%), and now generates 15 Rage over 10 seconds (was 20 Rage)."

hopefully your right and blizz does not make 2nd wind so weak they brake it.going from 3% heal down to 2% then add in the -30% battle fatigue defuff and your looking at what 1.7% heal.now MS effects would effect that also.thats a huge nerf,like i said hopefully they dont brake the talent.

these nerfs+ the rest of the nerfs that warriors got in mop but warriors about one big nerf away from being cata bad again.if and when blizz nerfs cd stacking in 5.3 that will be what kils warriors.

look what monks got - Gag order silence baked into their interrupt, double hamstring root.warriors once had nice things .
    Its ok for every class but warriors to have fun things. I love how 3% regen is bad for warriors when rogues have a 4.5% recuperate that can be put up at any given time given you have the combo points for it (Not that it's hard to get 5.)
    Last edited by Flalia4; 2013-01-05 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flalia4 View Post
    Its ok for every class but warriors to have fun things. I love how 3% regen is bad for warriors when rogues have a 4.5% recuperate that can be put up at any given time given you have the combo points for it (Not that it's hard to get 5.)
    Rogues give up alot of damage to recup, warriors do.... nothing.

And Recup is 3% every 3 seconds, that's 1% per second

Your really going to start comparing class specific ability's...Why not compare the entire class?

And honestly anybody that thinks that warriors will stay weak for longer then a patch never played another class. If warriors get over-nerfed then Blizzard will move heaven and earth to fix warriors but if warriors get over-buffed then they act slowly because they don't want to nerf the class to much.

But the only conclusion some players draw is that ''being bad for a month'' usually means that the entire expansion is ruined

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Your really going to start comparing class specific ability's...Why not compare the entire class?

And honestly anybody that thinks that warriors will stay weak for longer then a patch never played another class. If warriors get over-nerfed then Blizzard will move heaven and earth to fix warriors but if warriors get over-buffed then they act slowly because they don't want to nerf the class to much.

But the only conclusion some players draw is that ''being bad for a month'' usually means that the entire expansion is ruined
    warriors were the worst pvp class in cata for the last to seasons and did not get one buff.where is this hurry up and buff warrior crap your talking about?warrior have been nerfed since mop started,hell even the days before mop started.so dont give me that shit about blizz nerfs warriors slowly.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 12:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Rogues give up alot of damage to recup, warriors do.... nothing.

And Recup is 3% every 3 seconds, that's 1% per second
    2nd wind only kicks in at -30% hit-points-it has to be strong its a warriors ONLY HEAL when hes close to dying.are you really trying to say good pvpers can not kill warriors in pvp because 2nd wind?its only an issue to bad pvpers.hell recup in cata was 1000 time better then 2nd wind.hey let vansih "that bleeds dont stop anymore"and run around so no call and see me or catch me and heal to full.if i get low again then i just run away and heal to full again.if my emeny tries to stay with me i just cc his ass and vanish anyway.

and if you want to talk about giving up damage,hell warriors had it the worst for years until mop.pop shield wall and lose 75% of warrior damage for 40% REDUCTION in damage for 12 sec on a 5 min cd.and dont forget about the -10% damage debuff d-stance use to have.just tunnel the warrior and players could kill him threw shield wall easy.or just ff on him make him pop his cd's switch targets for 12 secs and back on warrior and hes dead.people forget that tunneling a warrior was the way to go for years in arena.im fuckign glad to see its not that easy anymore.much need buffs warriors got in mop,to bad we cant keep them.

2nd -going from 3% heal down to 2% then add in the -30% battle fatigue defuff and your looking at what 1.7% heal.now MS effects would effect that also.so whats that come out to,1.5%?lmfao and can only be used under 35% health.thats a huge nerf,like i said hopefully they dont brake the talent.2nd wind did not effect pve at all and only bad pvpers cried about it.i never had problems killing another warrior threw his 2nd wind.
    Last edited by meathead; 2013-01-05 at 05:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second Wind and Heroic leap glyph nerfs do affect me in Fury.
    But on other hand fury should have some buff in pvp to start with :/
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

With the extra TFB stacks, we'll have more rage to play with and sitting in defensive stance won't be as rage draining as before. Slam damage buff is really nice, it'll hit quite a lot harder now, and if you go MS > OP > OP > MS until 100 rage, you can do some nice soft burst with Slam and MS together. A good change in my opinion, moving away from one stack heroic strike.

The Warbringer buff is good for those who spec into it, but people have different preferences for charge talents in pvp so it's a kinda meh change, nice all the same. Heroic Leap damage removal is whatever to be honest. Second Wind nerf is getting close to overboard, with the Battle Fatigue kicking in, but as long as it doesn't get worse it'll still be useful for 3's for that life-saving extra healing, and still good for 2's. Storm Bolt is an okay change, but it's never really used for damage anyway, and unless your team needs a little extra cc, Avatar is still a good choice despite the long cooldown. Not sure about Bloodbath, but maybe if you're playing warlock/warrior in 3's, I haven't seen it much.

Shockwave nerf is pretty big but I'm willing to agree it was pretty powerful. I'm personally still gonna use it cuz it's that good, it'll still be a great ability when you use it at the right time for a kill/peel. You'll just need to be more efficient with it.

So warrior control is going down, small survival nerfs, and an increase in sustained damage. We might be slightly weaker but warriors will still be seen often at very high ratings.

I got a very very simple solution that won't cause any balance issues or QQ's... here it goes:
    ------------------------------------
    Second wind

When your stunned or immobilized, you generate 5% of your total health over 10 seconds,
    and $ amount of rage in addition over 10 seconds.

Simple and sweet to the point, just make it baseline for arms/fury and just add in a decent talent, or keep it as a talent... kinda dumb to make it proc at a low hp %.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current 2W: 3%HP/s
    After Battle Fatigue: 2.1%HP/s
    (After MS: 1.575%HP/s)

Post-nerf 2W: 2%HP/s
    After Battle Fatigue: 1.4%HP/s
    (After MS: 1.05%HP/s)

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 04:40 AM ----------

Its ok for every class but warriors to have fun things. I love how 3% regen is bad for warriors when rogues have a 3% recuperate per 3s that can be put up at any given time given you have the combo points for it (it's hard to get 5)
    Not all Rogues are Sub and can Premed-Recup from Stealth, plus, 0.7%HP/s (or 0.525%HP/s after MS) isn't better than what you get, at any point, even after your nerf.

A Warrior with 2W up in PvP with an MS effect on him heals more than a Rogue in PvE with Recup up, to be more specific.
    Last edited by Firebert; 2013-01-07 at 04:41 AM.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Current 2W: 3%HP/s
    After Battle Fatigue: 2.1%HP/s
    (After MS: 1.575%HP/s)

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 04:40 AM ----------

Not all Rogues are Sub and can Premed-Recup from Stealth, plus, 0.7%HP/s (or 0.525%HP/s after MS) isn't better than what you get, at any point, even after your nerf.

A Warrior with 2W up in PvP with an MS effect on him heals more than a Rogue in PvE with Recup up, to be more specific.

wow so its even worse then i thought-1.05% heal under 35% man they really love to fuck warriors over at every turn.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 03:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beefkow View Post
    I got a very very simple solution that won't cause any balance issues or QQ's... here it goes:
    Second wind

When your stunned or immobilized, you generate 5% of your total health over 10 seconds,
    and $ amount of rage in addition over 10 seconds.

Simple and sweet to the point, just make it baseline for arms/fury and just add in a decent talent, or keep it as a talent... kinda dumb to make it proc at a low hp %.
    it have to be on damage also or it would be to weak.without any heals a player can drop from 100% down to 0 in a few global's. they has to be a high % chance for 2nd wind to kick in off of damage,with burst and damage being so high now compared to cata.

it have to be on damage also or it would be to weak.without any heals a player can drop from 100% down to 0 in a few global's. they has to be a high % chance for 2nd wind to kick in off of damage,with burst and damage being so high now compared to cata.
    There is a reason why i said "make it baseline for fury/arms and just create a talent, or just leave it be", but since you think it will be TOO WEAK, they should just bring back blood craze, enjoyed that talent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefkow View Post
    There is a reason why i said "make it baseline for fury/arms and just create a talent, or just leave it be", but since you think it will be TOO WEAK, they should just bring back blood craze, enjoyed that talent.
    i was only trying to add input to your comment,no need for the attitude.

and yes as you suggested it,it would be to weak.
    "When your stunned or immobilized, you generate 5% of your total health over 10 seconds",

like i said it needs to have a % chance to proc on damage as well,a high % chance at that.theres no need to make it base line "but it should have been a long time ago".theres no need to make a new talent to replace it,2nd wind if fine as is.or they can change the #'s around and let it proc at higher heath levels.

Look, Warriors atm have 0 disadvantages atm, mobility is amazing, selhealing is amazing burst is great and control is really good.

It should be obvious to anyone, that all of this just doesnt work very well for any class, OFCOURSE THEY'RE NERFING IT...

I do have a level 90 warrior in pretty decent pvp gear, I've also got a level 90 monk, spriest and paladin, and it's just as boring to be on the recieving end of a warrior unloading all his CD's chainstunning you and whatnot, as it is to do it, once playing a warrior well was a challenge, nowadays it's just smach your CD macro and faceroll all over your keyboard, it's not even funny how easy it is.

There's nothing wrong in Warriors taking abit of challenge to play well, heck I'm changing from my Monk back to my Warrior now, due to 5.2 changes, no way I'm gonna waste my time playing some stupidly OP class, it's just not fun, and it often happen that Blizzard overnerf a class when they try to rebalance it, luckily this aint happening for Warriors this time around, the change is called for, I'm amazed they didnt remove shockwave's dmg component AND increase the CD, reduce execute's dmg, remove defensive stance for non prot spec (like monks have it), and remove doubletime, I honestly wouldnt have been complaining if they did, warrior burst would still be amazing, shockwave would still be usefull, heck monks take an ability that's alot worse than the current shockwave (0 dmg 1½ min cd), end tier for alot of classes are pretty bad, while Warriors have some quite good choices, Avatar for any other class would be godsend, even in it's current form.

So be glad that it's only a 2nd wind nerf, and bring out old time moves to survive again, atm warriors dont care about disarming, spell reflect /w shield etc etc. cus they can just rely on 2nd wind + def stance to make sure they survive the burst.

isnt the second wind nerf already live ?
    pretty sure GC said it is live. I haven't followed up on this

HUGE CHANGE 10-1-2013:

Warrior (Forums, Talent Calculator)
    •Defensive Stance now decreases damage taken by 15%, down from 25%.

Talents

Arms
    •Slam now does 220% weapon damage plus 2,193, up from 190% weapon damage plus 1,894.

Fury
    •Bloodsurge now reduces the Rage cost by 30 of your next 3 Wild Strikes, up from 20 Rage.

Protection
    •Unwavering Sentinel now increases the damage reduction of Defensive Stance by 10%.

Oh my... what I feared has actually happened. This is a big nerf for Warriors in PvP, purely for PvP aswell since protection Warriors get the 10% back from Unwavering Sentinel. They buffed Second Wind again but that's not even part of the discussion with this nerf anymore. I sit in Defensive Stance most of the time, but with this nerf I might change it to Battle Stance and just switch and sit in Defensive Stance when I'm walling. Hopefully Blizzard will change their minds. This is not good.

Yep, good patch notes, slam gets buffed (sweet, pretty much to compensate for losing TFB on heroic strike) unpopular talent gets buffed (Impending victory) defensive stance gets nerfed, other than that those are some really sweet patch notes, way to balance to game blizzard.

Lol, you're not SUPPOSED to "sit" in defensive stance, of course it needs a change of many non-prot warrs do it. I think it's funny watching people stream when they pvp with warr and sit in defensive stance while trying to kill people when they're not being attacked at all, DERP!

I'm also still waiting for Blizzard to make Slam/Storm bolt have more interesting mechanics. Off the GCD, lower rage cost for Slam etc. Also I think Shockwave should have it's cooldown reduced by 10 seconds for every target it hits, stacking up to 2 times. So it's not worthless in 2v2 scenarios or vs hunters.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Lol, you're not SUPPOSED to "sit" in defensive stance, of course it needs a change of many non-prot warrs do it. I think it's funny watching people stream when they pvp with warr and sit in defensive stance while trying to kill people when they're not being attacked at all, DERP!

I'm also still waiting for Blizzard to make Slam/Storm bolt have more interesting mechanics. Off the GCD, lower rage cost for Slam etc. Also I think Shockwave should have it's cooldown reduced by 10 seconds for every target it hits, stacking up to 2 times. So it's not worthless in 2v2 scenarios or vs hunters.
    I think what he meant by sitting in defense stance, that if he doesn't - he gets killed right away. Meaning, warrior has shitty defense outside defense stance, making him an easy target, and not letting him do any damage.
    Last edited by mmoc7570420288; 2013-01-10 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post

Since when are you 'suppose' to do anything? If you play any high rated teams they will switch very often, meaning if you get shit on in a switch without trinket and in BS it could be a one-shot. And watching 1200 mmr streams shouldn't really be an argument for anything. BS vs DS is DS hands down BUT also situational.

It's all about play-style, but saying "You're not supposed to sit in defensive stance" is a very wrong statement. Also, I don't like the word sit, of course you don't sit one stance when you can benefit from another but you should discuss the stances and their benefits. 25% less damage taken vs more rage is a very tricky choise, but it's PvP - it's not all about the damage output.