Page 1 of 2
LastLast

2012 iMac Processor

Does anyone know the Intel model number for the 27 inch's i5 and i7 processor options? They are 3.2 GHz (turbo 3.6) and 3.4 GHz (turbo 3.9), respectively.

10+ Year Old Account
    they may be Apple specific SKUs, but try looking at the mobile line

Oh do they use mobile chips in their imacs?

And very nice system in your sig Cyanotical, that's quite the beast
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-12-31 at 06:03 PM.

Wikipedia says i5-3470S and i7-3770S. Sounds plausible when looking at the clock speeds.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    don't go for the laptop with an identity crisis that thinks it is a desktop.......

Please be constructive
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-12-31 at 07:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the iMac 27" with i7 and it works beautifully with WoW. Full graphics, no lag other than server once in a great while. I fully recommend the computer.

To note, it also works for all of my art purposes such as photoshop and illustrator. Anyway I digress. I can't find an actual serial number for the chip itself.

Thanks Casteel, does it say on the "about this apple" menu/screen thingy? Don't know if that's the actual name of that menu.

Also, what GPU did you get with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    don't go for the laptop with an identity crisis that thinks it is a desktop.......
    I'll agree that there are better options for the money, but if money is no object and that's what you're looking for, the power shouldn't be an issue for most users. The laptop i-series CPUs have plenty of processing potential to spare.

Advice for the OP: If you're in the market for an iMac and you're doing CPU comparisons, go for the i7. The laptop i5 isn't a true quad-core; it's a dual-core with hyperthreading. Plenty fast, but not quad-core.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    I'll agree that there are better options for the money, but if money is no object and that's what you're looking for, the power shouldn't be an issue for most users. The laptop i-series CPUs have plenty of processing potential to spare.

Advice for the OP: If you're in the market for an iMac and you're doing CPU comparisons, go for the i7. The laptop i5 isn't a true quad-core; it's a dual-core with hyperthreading. Plenty fast, but not quad-core.
    At 2560x1440 (iMac 27") and playing WoW, you seriously need to get the best CPU that's available (Which is currently the 3570(k))
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    At 2560x1440 (iMac 27") and playing WoW, you seriously need to get the best CPU that's available (Which is currently the 3570(k))
    and clocks upwards of 4.2 to atleast maintain steady playable fps with full ultra.

Sorry, I don't actually play WoW ^.^ I will be getting the 680mx card, mostly for my steam games, planetside, skyrim, all that jazz

10+ Year Old Account
    The same goes towards other games, especially Planetside except it's on the GPU part.

It's VERY GPU hungry, so is Skyrim when loaded with mods.

Are you sure you don't want a proper PC build? You'll get much more performance out of it.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Let him have what he wants. The GTX 680 MX isn't exactly weak, nor is the 3470S or 3770S

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not forcing him am I?

People come here asking for advice/questions, we give them answers.

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Let him have what he wants. The GTX 680 MX isn't exactly weak, nor is the 3470S or 3770S
    still mobile parts for a desktop at such pricetag a rather not scenario.

inux94 and shroudster, I actually have a self built system running a 4.6 GHz 2500k with a 580. I have other needs in my situation and an all-in-one is what I need currently Thanks for the suggestions though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    inux94 and shroudster, I actually have a self built system running a 4.6 GHz 2500k with a 580. I have other needs in my situation and an all-in-one is what I need currently Thanks for the suggestions though
    Still don't overestimate the mobility of an imac because the size.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's hard to process about "he wants an all-in-one"?

That's cool, you hate macs, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. OP wants a Mac and is just trying to find what processors they use. vesseblah was the only one who actually answered the question, and aside from 1-2 other people, the rest of you just went "loldontgetamactheysuck".
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    any chance you can outline the exact scenario you are in ?(location/distances/safe to keep things for longer periods of time/mobility via what medium/etc, allong those lines in details.)
    perhaps this could be a combination of prior threads aswell.
    more specifics on the situation is the best way we can help. (for example got an idea if you were to travel between 2 points on regular basis etc)
    you can consider it brand bias, however don't forget that it is actually based on performance numbers/benchmarks/statistics so one could say it is based on something logical. (but no more i digress, if anyone feels free to talk specifics just toss me a PM)

The 27" iMac CPU options are:

i5-3470S
    i5-3470
    i7-3770