Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Monks new FoTM class?

As the title says will monks and i'm talking WW monks become the new FoTM class?

Recently changed mastery, old one became baseline.

a new 40yard aoe silence.

A stun, fear, and snare removal cd.

Incresed healing.

On ptr right now im beating classes i would never beat on live. Noticeing people are calling monks op as well. Just wanted to hear some non monk thoughts on this and other monks opinions wouldn't hurt as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    In my opinion it's rather powerful, however it seems monks are rather powerful to begin with. Gag order silence baked into their interrupt, double hamstring root, effective healing and defensive cooldowns (especially Touch of Karma, which has made more than one arena team mad). They seem like a solid class now save for the shoddy, uninteresting mastery, however the ptr makes them look like rogues and 30 yard range stealth abilities. While I'd agree that deadly reach was pretty bad, ring of peace seems over the top and makes that aoe stun in that same bracket that was already pretty powerful to begin with look like garbage. A stun removal cd imo was needed, but not a fear and snares as well, especially not one that reduces their duration for 6 seconds after removing them.

In short? They seem powerful and by the time we see 5.2 go live they will either maintain this power, or they will tweak it down.

Edit: Didn't realize hit and run had been changed, point still stands
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2013-01-04 at 03:13 PM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

They're unkillable on the ptr.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    In my opinion it's rather powerful, however it seems monks are rather powerful to begin with. Gag order silence baked into their interrupt, double hamstring root, effective healing and defensive cooldowns (especially Touch of Karma, which has made more than one arena team mad). They seem like a solid class now save for the shoddy, uninteresting mastery, however the ptr makes them look like rogues and 30 yard range stealth abilities. While I'd agree that deadly reach was pretty bad, ring of peace seems over the top and makes that aoe stun in that same bracket that was already pretty powerful to begin with look like garbage. A stun removal cd imo was needed, but not a fear and snares as well, especially not one that reduces their duration for 6 seconds after removing them.

In short? They seem powerful and by the time we see 5.2 go live they will either maintain this power, or they will tweak it down.

Edit: Didn't realize hit and run had been changed, point still stands
    On paper they do indeed look like a solid reliable class but they have quite a few holes in them. They have no secondary cc removal (currently). Their mobility is awkward at best. Touch of karma is alright but thats it for survivability. Spear hand strike is pretty much luck based, if you or the other person has the slightest bit of lag it will most likely not trigger the silence effect. I agree that ring of peace is quite powerful it also is somewhat needed. As they sit even as ptr assuming they didn't have ring of peace, there would be no reason to bring a WW monk to an rbg. I'd say increase the cd to balance it out. The nimble brew's removal of fears stuns and snares might seem over the top at first glance but it was quite needed, maybe remove the secondary effect which reduces any more by 60% for 6 seconds. Though looking at the receiving end of a WW monk with the new abilities i can see how they would be quite frustrating and personally i don't think its fair to make the assertion they are "op" until they have more testing done in the 3s area.

On a side note, i noticed a glitch that is making WW monks have some absurd healing. You can actually have 2 Chi Waves going at the same time. If you throw one out at max range you can get a second one in before the first one expires and the second doesn't cancel the first. It may not be so much a glitch as an oversight on Blizzards part.

They already had pretty strong damage and pretty damn good mobility. They didn't really fit into the whole playstyle of this first season which was jump into arena pop all CDs and win though.

Next patch I see both healing monks and dps monks being really OP if changes go live. Blizzard are renown for overbuffing.

What's this 40 yard silence?

Quote Originally Posted by Alidori View Post
    They're unkillable on the ptr.
    I feel like its more of an issue of people thinking they should just fall over without having to know anything about the class like they do on live and freak out when they don't.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 08:00 AM ----------

Ring of peace.

more like FotXPAC

Quote Originally Posted by Coraulten View Post
    I feel like its more of an issue of people thinking they should just fall over without having to know anything about the class like they do on live and freak out when they don't.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 08:00 AM ----------

Ring of peace.
    Yet any counter I have for them is countered with something annoying.
    They have two disarms, one being an AoE disarm/silence solar beam that moves with you. The chi torpedo is an amazing escape that is difficult to counter, as a warrior my charge doesn't quite stop them, they keep going for a little bit then get stunned and can run away. Paralysis is an instant, undispellable 20yd range CC...not to mention their healing is pretty damn good. I could keep going but I'm lazy.

I'm only speaking on experience with 2v2 or 1v1, I haven't seen 3s yet which is probably why they made these changes since no one plays them in 3s. Still, it makes it far too OP in anything else.

Deleted
    Paralysis is an instant, undispellable 20yd range CC...
    Not been on the PTR yet but been wondering a thing about paralysis, did it keep the double duration when used from behind when it was turned into physical?

Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Not been on the PTR yet but been wondering a thing about paralysis, did it keep the double duration when used from behind when it was turned into physical?
    Yeah it did.

They have two disarms, one being an AoE disarm/silence solar beam that moves with you. The chi torpedo is an amazing escape that is difficult to counter, as a warrior my charge doesn't quite stop them, they keep going for a little bit then get stunned and can run away. Paralysis is an instant, undispellable 20yd range CC...not to mention their healing is pretty damn good. I could keep going but I'm lazy.

I'm only speaking on experience with 2v2 or 1v1, I haven't seen 3s yet which is probably why they made these changes since no one plays them in 3s. Still, it makes it far too OP in anything else.
    It could be a hard warrior counter as it sits now. Most monks don't run a weapon chain so just disarm them when you get disarmed. Have never seen a ww monk spec into chi torpedo. The issue with charge sounds like ptr lag. And paralysis is indeed pretty strong now it should be made dispellable. And i agree the healing is quite good atm could be toned down just a tad. But yeah as you said this is all from experience outside of 3s. It feels like they will be quite strong in 3s but i don't think it'll cross the line into op.....well until we get storm earth and fire ;D

welcome to deathknights V2 =)

Quote Originally Posted by Garush View Post

Ring of peace :3. You can not dispel it. It silences everyone in the circle and it also disarms... ANNNND You can cast it on others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garush View Post

i havnt been on the ptr yet, but i think it means the silence has a 4yrd range, from what i understand it places something on the target, that silences and disarms everyone in a 8yrd range around the target for 8seconds or so.

Deleted
    Gonna need some tweaking for sure on PTR before release, because right now, with all the nerfs across the board, the monk buffs are way over the top, kinda feels like DKs all over right now, with every good ability out there being given to monks.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i havnt been on the ptr yet, but i think it means the silence has a 4yrd range, from what i understand it places something on the target, that silences and disarms everyone in a 8yrd range around the target for 8seconds or so.
    I'll elaborate, Ring of peace is an aoe silence you can cast on yourself, an ally, or an enemy within 40 yards.. From what i've seen i could be wrong, once the monk enters the ring where it was casted the effect trigger silenceing and disarming everything in the radius. If casted on self on on someone that your already inside the range of theres a delay on the effect. But for all intents and purposes its a 40yard range silence. (not 100% sure about the requirement of monk inside ring to activate just from what i've experience, will test it more)

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eskobar View Post
    Gonna need some tweaking for sure on PTR before release, because right now, with all the nerfs across the board, the monk buffs are way over the top, kinda feels like DKs all over right now, with every good ability out there being given to monks.
    It's not that every good ability blizzard randomly comes up with is just being thrown at monks. They have been missing some key mechanics that blizzard finally implemented and im sure there will be tweaks to tone down some of them.

10+ Year Old Account

This. WW Monks on the PTR are very Tanky and can basically escape any encounter they fall into.

heres the issue the monk buffs really are needed because of pve not pvp and they are gonna get nerfed because everyone is gonna cry on the pvp forums.

Play a monk in live right now and go tank or dps or heal and tell me how it goes when you get stunned esepcially while tanking.