Idea for a new Rogue mechanic

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my rogue and the fact that rogues haven't seen much change in the past few expansions. Then it hit me rogues could use a new Garrote mechanic. Please before you blast the idea just hear me out.

Think of this new mechanic as an ability like the Snobolds in the Gormok the Impaler fight in ToC. Rogues can latch on to their target. The target can take no actions against the rogue (*line of sight*) and the garrote deals minor damage over time or silences the target. The rogue can not take any additional actions during this time or he breaks the garrote early. If the rogue mantains the grip for 8 seconds the target becomes stunned for 8 seconds. While the garrote is being held the rogue's energy is recharging. Other creatures/players can attack the rogue normally... however, the garroted target takes half the damage applied to the rogue during this time.

In effect, the rogue can lock down a single target. Used strategically it could give rogues a new toolkit that could be expanded on later... such as applying poisons to garroted target. It also allows a teammate's dots time to tick for full duration, it gives the rogue an emergency meat shield and it gives rogues an active energy recharger for those longer energy starved fights.

Though most importantly it offers the Rogue class something new and different to play with that is not just a rehash of other abilities for another class. The old garrote could survive with a name change such as Slipknot, Hangman's Noose, or Gallow's Hold.

Just a thought, so tell me what you think.

Deleted
    I honestly don't think rogues need even more CC. Cheap Shot, Kidney Shot, Blind, Dismantle, Gouge, Smoke Bomb, Shiv(with Paralytic Poison), Garrote and Sap. I can already lockdown a target until its dead, so no need for an additional cc.

What rogue needs is survivability (gets better with 5.2) and more sustained damage outside of Shadow Dance and Shadow Blades.

Deleted
    Brings nothing to PvE and even more CC in PvP where there is already way to much CC, I'll pass. Would rather see a rework of numbers for finishers and less passive damage.

I want to see orc rogue using it on a gnome....

on the other hand a gnome would have an exclusive chance to ride a tauren.. (before getting roflstomped afterwards).. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

OP, and too many ways to screw that up.

Removal of SnD would be interesting - way too much damage tied to it in PvE, lots of downsides for PvP (sustained damage being much less important, not enough energy/CP to maintain an additional finisher up, etc).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    I want to see orc rogue using it on a gnome....

on the other hand a gnome would have an exclusive chance to ride a tauren.. (before getting roflstomped afterwards).. XD
    I wanna see it in a gnome vs gnome duel... Where the rogue has an orb of deception. Tauren rogue = win.
    Why is there no "Demonhunter" hero class yet? He was only the coolest hero in WC3. Get busy Blizzard.

Heres the thing. The more CC you give a class, the less damage it can do in pvp. Hence why in Wrath, we did terribad damage-but we could CC like gods. To the point where yea, we were needed 24/7 but really only as support.

No more CC please.

Quote Originally Posted by Parawhore View Post
    Heres the thing. The more CC you give a class, the less damage it can do in pvp. Hence why in Wrath, we did terribad damage-but we could CC like gods. To the point where yea, we were needed 24/7 but really only as support.
    a pure dps class being a support class imho is a sh*t game design, thanks again GC, plz blizz bring Kaplan back...

Deleted
    T-down. This in duels just sounds ridiculously good.