Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

To buy or not to buy a 3DS...

So I picked up my old original DS yesterday and started playing Pokemon Platinum & White on it, and I'm enjoying them again, which made me want to play the current gen of the games (X and Y) which for all I know are on the 'next gen' DS'. So the factors I'm considering in buying a 3DS (preferably) are: When the next DS/model will be out, Game compatibility and Value for money/Is it worth it for the prices these days. Replies are appreciated

Deleted
    Can you afford one? Yes/no? Choose one and there is your answer.

3DS is going to be around for quite a while. Its also a huge workhorse compared to the DS. I've never had problems with backwards compatibility, though some games don't respond to the joystick that well.

7+ Year Old Account
    OoT remastered
    Mario Kart
    Animal crossing

Do it..

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Have you messed around with the 3d yet? I find it to be a gimmick, and uncomfortable most of the time. If I ever felt the need for a portable gaming system (I actually have the cheap vita for netflix...), I'd get the 2ds.

Deleted
    Temptation, overpowering, but i want to buy D3...

And that's almost a hundred pounds ;_;

Also if you like Pokemon the Pokebank is a god send.

Quote Originally Posted by TheThirteenthWorstGamer View Post
    So I picked up my old original DS yesterday and started playing Pokemon Platinum & White on it, and I'm enjoying them again, which made me want to play the current gen of the games (X and Y) which for all I know are on the 'next gen' DS'. So the factors I'm considering in buying a 3DS (preferably) are: When the next DS/model will be out, Game compatibility and Value for money/Is it worth it for the prices these days. Replies are appreciated
    Buy! Maybe. If you liked ruby and sapphire, remakes of those are coming out in november. Im going to go pre order my copy tomorrow. It can get an app for free to play youtube videos. It can connect to wifi. So its internet capabilities are already infinatly better then the ds since it can handle the higher internet encryption and works with your home wifi. It is amazing if you go over the road and can get a connection to the internet. There is no news on the next gen consoles yet, so can't say when they will be out. We only have a code name as of January. Oh! I you can get celebi too. If you get the pokebank before September 30th.

You will just have to decide how much use you will get out of it. It also allows you to get games digitally if you prefer that method.

I picked up a 3DS XL earlier this year. Love it!!!! I put a 32gb memory card in it and it holds tons of games. We take it on every trip we go on now. Tons of games for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Have you messed around with the 3d yet? I find it to be a gimmick, and uncomfortable most of the time. If I ever felt the need for a portable gaming system (I actually have the cheap vita for netflix...), I'd get the 2ds.
    2ds is like a bigger, clunkier version of the 3ds. For portability the 3ds really is better.

Deleted
    For all saying 2DS I really don't like the aesthetics of the 2DS, I prefer the portable original style of the 3DS I'd have to save for a while to get it, is it worth £150 for a new one or is it more worth it to get a preowned for £80?

Quote Originally Posted by TheThirteenthWorstGamer View Post
    For all saying 2DS I really don't like the aesthetics of the 2DS, I prefer the portable original style of the 3DS I'd have to save for a while to get it, is it worth £150 for a new one or is it more worth it to get a preowned for £80?
    Ive never gotten something preowned because im paranoid. I would find out if the place you get it has at least some form of warranty for it if you get preowned.

I have a 3DS XL, and so does my husband. We both love them! I primarily play pokemon... so... I had to upgrade because I was still using a DS Lite. Pokemon X/Y were worth it, and I imagine the Hoenn remakes will be as well!

If you have the money, and are enjoying the games again. Might as well take the dive.

bought my own 3ds XL just to play pokémon X, it was the best money i've ever spent, and with the new game coming out in november, i can say that i'm getting hyped.

if you enjoy pokémon and can afford it, i'd say go for it!
    I like my coffe like my mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its defiantly one of the best investments I've made ever. Has some great games and of course it's portable.

Deleted
    Do you like Monster Hunter, yes or no? If no, don't buy one.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    3DS is definitely worth it, if you're looking for a portable gaming experience. It's got a nice library built up by now, and will definitely have a few more Pokemon games coming up (since you mentioned X and Y).

Considering how long the DS lasted, and how many upcoming games there are for the 3DS, I think you can be assured that it'll be around for a long time too. I think the only thing you really need to think about is if you'll like enough games to justify buying it!

Sorry but I don't even need to read the thread. 3DS is amazing. I LOVE mine. It's my freaking baby. I say this as somebody who primarily PC games. I could not live without Zelda and Bravely Default, or Mario Kart for that matter.

God didn't even remember Pokemon. There's just so much yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia
    Has anything pushed you to the edge of quitting WoW?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreall
    Long Distance relationships and Justin Bieber

10+ Year Old Account
    I use my 3DS on a daily basis, but to buy it just for pokemon is up to you. I didn't quite enjoy Pokemon XY as much as the previous games as there was barely anything for me to do after I beat the game.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    the 3ds xl is amazing. i got mine over a year ago. the only game i have is pokemon Y. if your going to try and go national dex and do competitive wifi battles. thats hundreds of hours. i just finished the regional dex and ive been doing alot of online battles, i have around 250 hours clocked in so far.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.