Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Could Nintendo go third party?

I mean, the Wii U is flopping. Could it cause them to go software only?

Speaking of which, do you think they'd make more money as a software only company?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    doubt it, the wii was very successful, they have enough cash to weather the storm. if their next console probably for 2018-2020 flops too, then this could be a real possibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo is sitting on a lot of hard cash, they could afford making losses in millions for decades without going out of business, it could happen in the future but it is unlikely right now.

But they could probably make more money as a software only company.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, people need to stop posting these damn topics.

Deleted
    Hopefully not.

Could yes? Yes, it's not impossible.
    Should they? No, they are the kings of gaming and will remain that way.
    Will they? No, they have tons of cash in the bank and the Wii U will serve as an important learning experience on how not to advertise and release a console, even though it is still selling and will sell even more once their huge titles get put out.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    If Apple ever would want to go serious about their iToys becoming more of a gaming platform (ie new apple-tv etc having more of a gaming functionality than scoreboard-centric "game center"), I think Nintendo is the first company they would look to make a partnership with.

Otherwise, I think they'll stand on their own for a while longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still hope Nintendo tries to buy Capcom as that would throw a huge wrench into a lot of things and would be extremely hilarious to watch the fanboys of various sorts cry in unison.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    Just so you know, Nintendo has publicly stated--in not so many words--that if they leave the console business (in that they do not make their own), their IP goes with them.

The Wii U is not flopping "hard", either. Sure, sales have not been strong, but Mario Kart 8 certainly helped prop it up. Smash Bros. U and Zelda U will likely have the same effect.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Could, yes. It is unlikely since Asian companies have too much pride and Nintendo does what it pleases.
    (Yeah, sorry I snuck in a Mundo joke)
    Stay salty my friends.

I wish they would do that , but I doubt that will ever happen . If Nintendo ever stops producing consoles , their games will go with them .

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Should they? No, they are the kings of gaming and will remain that way.
    Now that's just silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mario Kart 8 resulted in the sales of around a million more consoles, and the game itself has sold around 2.8 million copies. The system isn't on fire by any stretch, but its not 'flopping' either.

New Smash Bros and Zelda will have a huge boost on sales as well.

People also need to remember that Nintendo is the only company that consistently makes money on console sales. Meanwhile, Xbox has cost Microsoft billions (literally) and Sony has lost a ton of money as well.

So the Wii U's first year might have been rough, but they've got about a decade of making stupid amounts of cash from the Wii to weather many bad years.

This report says it best.

"Here's the exact quote taken from a feature in the latest issue of the UK's Nintendo Gamer magazine: "Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there's almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out - we're in the year 2075 by this point - they've got some of the most valuable intellectual property in gaming to sell off before the company goes out of business."

So yeah. We'll all be dead by the time Nintendo is in anything resembling serious financial trouble.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2014-08-06 at 01:46 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaese View Post
    Just so you know, Nintendo has publicly stated--in not so many words--that if they leave the console business (in that they do not make their own), their IP goes with them.

The Wii U is not flopping "hard", either. Sure, sales have not been strong, but Mario Kart 8 certainly helped prop it up. Smash Bros. U and Zelda U will likely have the same effect.
    That was stated YEARS ago and things change over time. If the supposed Iwata oust attempts are true, I can guarantee that particular notion is out the window if he ever gets replaced.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Going software only didn't work for Sega.

The only reason Sega is even still around is because of the merge with Sammy.

Could they? Yes
    Would they? No
    Should they? No
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    ... I really want to punch you, do you know how much fucking money a company with IP's like Nintendo has makes per one sold? Nearly 100%, they would not make more money and the Wii U is finally doing much better. God it's just like the PS3 all over again, "Sony is doomed", difference is that Sony was already in a really shitty financial situation whereas Nintendo has reserves to sit on.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    If Nintendo ever went out of business, I would fly to Japan and join the funeral service of a great company that brought joy to millions of people all over the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    If Nintendo ever went out of business, I would fly to Japan and join the funeral service of a great company that brought joy to millions of people all over the world.
    I'll buy your ticket and your alcohol for you since you're going to have a drinking problem afterwards.
    Hey everyone