Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Its a pretty common practice in real life. There are some auction houses that plant people in the crowd who have the job of raising the bids on some items. When people see someone else bid on something they begin to think it is worth more. If those two people get into a bidding war then the perceived value rises in the minds of the other bidders.
    That doesn't mean it's not a scam in-game. Remember in-game =/= real life. I can't go around killing people in real life and taking their money without the likelihood of consequence.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    I can't go around killing people in real life and taking their money without the likelihood of consequence.
    Unless you do it on a low level alt

Quote Originally Posted by Graph View Post
    Yeah this happened to my friend. And the guy that did it to him got banned for a few days, plus my buddy got his gold back.
    So your friend got rewarded for trying to scam this guy? That doesn't seem right. He had every opportunity to tell him that's not what it's worth or that it's on the AH for cheaper.

What if someone who wasn't the guy who put the item up was trying to buy it for 10k then decided he didn't want to spend the gold? Would you try to get him banned because your attempt to scam him backfired?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how it is banable. Unless, like some people mentioned, it was a one on one chat with a person. No promises were made saying "Yes I Will buy that item."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    So your friend got rewarded for trying to scam this guy? That doesn't seem right. He had every opportunity to tell him that's not what it's worth or that it's on the AH for cheaper.

What if someone who wasn't the guy who put the item up was trying to buy it for 10k then decided he didn't want to spend the gold? Would you try to get him banned because your attempt to scam him backfired?
    No, I'm saying there was a xmog item in the AH for some amount. And there was someone looking to buy the same thing for 2-3k more, so my friend bought it out and tried to trade with him the guy said he didn't want it anymore.

And before he even bought it out I told him it was most likely a scam because the guy was posting it in trade for 10-15 minutes. And the item was in the AH for cheaper.
    Last edited by Vober; 2013-01-05 at 04:35 AM.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Deleted
    If anyone is dumb enough to go for it then you deserve the extra gold you can get.
    I vote no, its not a scam.

No idea but try it out and get back to us.
    Would love to see some drama about "getting a few days ban" or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graph View Post
    No, I'm saying there was a xmog item in the AH for some amount. And there was someone looking to buy the same thing for 2-3k more, so my friend bought it out and tried to trade with him the guy said he didn't want it anymore.
    Unless your friend was promised he would buy it off him before he bought it off the AH then it wasn't a scam. That person looking for it could've found it for cheaper by someone whispering him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillemus View Post
    Because ethics has nothing to do with that? It's like saying that it's okay to to beat a person up, as long as you're wearing a mask, because the offense is not in the action but in whether or not you suffer the consequences of your action.
    I wouldn't agree these two examples are equal, though. One person sees a chance to take someone else's item they can buy and immediately resale for profit only to find out they've lost their "client." The other is physically assaulting someone for any reason whatsoever.

It may be "unethical" but it's preying on a seller's instinct. Not on someone's health.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/SCAM?s=t

Yes, it's a scam you're actively trying to defraud someone. Both people involved are dicks.

Unethical. Now if you promise a specific person to purchase it from them for a particular price, that should and likely would, be bannable. But here, there's always the risk that someone else could have already sold you the item if it was a legit transaction. Or changed your mind, "Sorry, I saw something else that I want more."

Is it wrong of you to do it? Yes, it is. Which doesn't excuse them for trying to make a quick profit off of you. Two wrongs don't make right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is a scam, you are cheating people out of money. Granted you are being smart to do that but it is pretty diabolical.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    If anyone is dumb enough to go for it then you deserve the extra gold you can get.
    I vote no, its not a scam.
    Well, of COURSE it's a scam! The question is whether it's a bannable scam. I'd say it probably isn't, unless he makes a specific promise to purchase from a specific person.

It's not a scam, it's a selling tactic. If people don't do their homework and buys overpriced stuff on AH (just like most AH items), how is that remotely your fault for trying to sell an item? You can't be punished for people's ignorance, simple as that...

Thats not scamming , person A sees that you want item X for Y cash and he buys it off the auction house, even tough u put it it there.. You have done nothing wrong lol. Altough it can be sort of a douche move^^ its not against any rules

Quote Originally Posted by Excellent View Post
    Steal any bicycles today SunBakedDuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SunbakedDuck View Post
    Thats not scamming , person A sees that you want item X for Y cash and he buys it off the auction house, even tough u put it it there.. You have done nothing wrong lol. Altough it can be sort of a douche move^^ its not against any rules
    If he took the gold from those that WTB in trade chat and the auction got sold on an alt and suddendly he logged off, yeah that would be a scam and really crappy thing to do.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I wouldn't agree these two examples are equal, though. One person sees a chance to take someone else's item they can buy and immediately resale for profit only to find out they've lost their "client." The other is physically assaulting someone for any reason whatsoever.

It may be "unethical" but it's preying on a seller's instinct. Not on someone's health.
    It was the fact that he said fuck ethics because he was on a low level alt, so he didn't care about ethics because he didn't have to face the consequences, much like a person with a mask wouldn't have to face the consequences.
    I guess I'm trying to make OP realise that he actually himself thinks that what he is doing is wrong as he is not willing to stand by his actions on his main char, as I'm sure he would agree that putting on a mask would not make beating up a person anymore right.

OT: I would say it's very dependent on the mood of the GM dealing with the question, if he feels that saying in trade "wtb XX for yy k g" is a binding agreement you're in trouble, personally, I would say that as soon as you respond a whisper confirming your intentions of purchase you're in the scam zone, anything before if they get it off AH before contacting you, you can basically just claim that you already found a seller and they should be none the wiser.
    Last edited by Lillemus; 2013-01-05 at 05:04 AM.

What are you talking about? Blizzard, actually ban someone for breaking the rules? Lol. Now, since we have established you wont get banned, the only thing you should be concerned about are any trolls or bubble busters in trade who will look it up and announce in trade that its cheaper in there. Not to mention there is one major flaw in your plan. You aren't the only one posting the patterns. You would have to be the Lowest price in order for someone to actually fall for that. IE they make the maximum profit by buying the lowest priced item off the ah, not the one closest to your asking price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    What are you talking about? Blizzard, actually ban someone for breaking the rules? Lol. Now, since we have established you wont get banned, the only thing you should be concerned about are any trolls or bubble busters in trade who will look it up and announce in trade that its cheaper in there. Not to mention there is one major flaw in your plan. You aren't the only one posting the patterns. You would have to be the Lowest price in order for someone to actually fall for that. IE they make the maximum profit by buying the lowest priced item off the ah, not the one closest to your asking price.

They have banned people for breaking the rules, don't pretend it isn't true.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I think it's kind of questionable. Think about it.

One guy is pretending he will buy it just to get people to buy something he already listed.

But the other guy is kind of lame too, since instead of informing him that one is up on the AH for less, he's going to try and buy it and get a nice profit for himself.

Both are being opportunists and hiding information from the other, but one of them loses.