Deleted

Sony using a system which is going to hinder sale of used games?

For reference I am going to use this webpage:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...ed-game-sales/

Of course I am not going to copy it all here, but it comes down to the fact that they want to implement chips on cd,s so that if you put it in your PS3 (or 4 in the future) it recognizes it. Then if you put it in another PS3(or 4) it will not work.

Now I don't think they will do this yet, and they have not done it yet.

But it would be a real bitchslap against consumers because reselling games and/or lending a friend a game would be dead.

they also put out a patent earlier in 2012 to put commercial breaks when you play video games
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    they also put out a patent earlier in 2012 to put commercial breaks when you play video games
    Well that is just insane on a whole new level.

Well to be fair they have already implemented something similar in that most of the time you are required to purchase an online pass for used games. It all boils down to what makes the company the most money, hell if they could they'd give games away for free to turn around and charge you twice the price of the game for the actual content. Sadly, IMO, it will only get worse as the years go by and gaming companies get greedier.

Deleted
    Luckily I don't own a PS3 anymore. I sold it after the entire PSN network was down for 2 weeks. That was such a humongous fail.

Fingers crossed that taking a sharpie to the outer edge of the disc will break the encryption this time around also!

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Luckily I don't own a PS3 anymore. I sold it after the entire PSN network was down for 2 weeks. That was such a humongous fail.
    current rumors is that the ps4 wont be backwards compatible either if thats the case ill buy a ps3 for the kingdom hearts remakes coming out this year then wont touch the ps4 unless a kingdom hearts game comes out for it
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Moved to VG Discussion. Seems more appropriate here than Gen OT.

Deleted
    As long as you don't require an online connection to play as the article suggests then hackers will definitely find a way around this, at least for offline play. They are merely delaying the inevitable.

However for online play, it's pretty clear that second hand disks won't be happening.

if they do this someone will make a chip reseter and resales will go on.

Well that would be a good way to kill console games.

I would think Gamestop and co (who make the vast majority of their money from used game sales) would do everything in their power to prevent something like this.

If they still plan on selling physical discs, then upsetting the brick-and-mortar retailers seems like a pretty terrible idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Used games is basically legal piracy anyways. It astounds me that people can be so against piracy, but defend used games so zealously.