Poll: Am I correct?

Valor Gear requiring Rep a non-issue

Since the expansion first came out we heard people complaining about having to farm rep to obtain valor gear. As someone who started raiding the second week the raids were out I only ever had to buy one piece of valor gear. I received all the pieces I needed from raiding. If you're raiding then for the most part you're going to get all your gear in the raid and won't need valor gear. And if you're not raiding then you don't need the gear to begin with.

I didn't need to buy any for my raiding main, but had to buy plenty for my non raiding alt which is fine.

Wow never seen this conversation before. You're always gonna see a million people saying stuff like "I didn't need to buy any items because I got everything I needed for raids from raids" (kind of hard to believe if you ask me, but there you go), while others go "I'm still using valor gear in every slot where one is available because nothing has ever dropped for me for those slots. I'm still using 3 valor items myself, and I've been farming 16/16 for a while with no competition on those slots, because that's RNG.

At the end of the day, if you're even remotely interested in gearing up your character for the sake of progression, then you need to get valor gear, if for no other reason than because you can't predict the future and you don't actually know if you'll win items for those slots or not, while you do know if and when you'll get your valor items.

This becomes less of an issue over time, obviously.

inb4 "1 piece of gear doesn't make a difference"; it does matter a lot when you add it up for every single person in the raid, especially as you add more than one item.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Worst poll options ever.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
    Worst poll options ever.
    So much this. You don't get full raid gear in one lockout. You most likely don't get full raid gear in the first month. Valor was needed if you don't want to hold your raid back.

Do you need full valor gear? No, but if you got zero pieces you aren't maximizing your character.

You need to buy the valor gear items so the piece in the slot you just bought drops for you in your next raid. Isn't that what VP is for?

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought some pieces of valor gear. Then the upgrade system came along and allowed me to not hit the cap

You couldn't really fill out item slots with VP since there was a 1k cap a week, and you could maybe get 2-3 pieces before you're likely to be so far into MSV that it didn't matter.

I am also the last person to ever do dailies. I did GL at first because I figured I needed to. But once I started to get some VP items and real raid gear, I realized that it wasn't mandatory to do the other reps that I unlocked.

I think that's the first step in not getting so worked out about it all.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So did we really need a brand new thread this far into the expac with some random guy telling us "raid for gear, if you don't raid you don't need gear"?

It all comes down to a big chunk of the WoW playerbase being unable to do any sort of cost-benefit analysis. It also makes me wonder what all these non-raiding people who "have to" get this valor gear do in the game that they actually enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    And if you're not raiding then you don't need the gear to begin with.
    Aside from to gear up and advance your character, which is one of the core motivations for playing an RPG in the first place.

The rep gating is just a very clunky and archaic system. I'd be less bothered if reputation grinds could be accomplished in more than one way, but as it stands so much of the game is tied into the process of doing dailies that it often results in people feeling like they have to do something they're not interested in just to progress at a reasonable rate.

For an MMO like WoW, it's not very smart to tie together a bunch of the progression systems, as it sidelines player choice and emphasises a very linear path of progression. When you're dealing with a ten-million player fanbase who have very different gameplay preferences, it's not good game design.

I used the VP bracers until I got the 509 ones. These poll options do not reflect anyone's actual experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    You couldn't really fill out item slots with VP since there was a 1k cap a week, and you could maybe get 2-3 pieces before you're likely to be so far into MSV that it didn't matter.

I am also the last person to ever do dailies. I did GL at first because I figured I needed to. But once I started to get some VP items and real raid gear, I realized that it wasn't mandatory to do the other reps that I unlocked.

I think that's the first step in not getting so worked out about it all.
    I thought it was fine. As you said, there was kinda a synergy.. yes, it might take you a month before you started having most of your raid gear. But at the same time, it took a month before you could really buy anything with VP.

I almost laugh when people talk about ´holding their raid back´.. really, you think that one upgrade every 3 weeks with VP is what makes or break progression?
    Last edited by Azrile; 2013-01-05 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    I almost laugh when people talk about ´holding their raid back´.. really, you think that one upgrade every 3 weeks with VP is what makes or break progression?
    If every raider does it or doesn't do it, yes that makes or breaks progression.

If people are just super outgearing content to compensate for a lack of skill, one upgrade will make no difference. If everyone is taking it to the max, one upgrade can mean the difference between a kill and a wipe. Our first H Gara'jal kill was right at enrage—he killed us as soon as he died. If one person had not been doing the absolute most to gear their character, that would not have been a kill. It was a flawless attempt that all came down to gear.

As a raider, I agree that valor gear is now a non issue. The upgrade system is now where you should be spending valor, unless you don't raid.

The only problem remaining is charms only available from daily quests (and soon pet battles, which are no better).

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 01:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Yes, yes I do. When you have 10 or 25 people doing it, it makes a huge difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnx014 View Post
    And if you're not raiding then you don't need the gear to begin with.
    Why are we at this again. I want to have good gear for solo, for faster quest completion, for achievements, to perform better in heroics/LFR, for the looks, for the feel of power as my Ilvl increases.
    Following your logic, i enlisted 6 reasons why i need gear, you just said "raiding". So, YOU do not need gear to begin with. This is flawed.

OT: I don't mind farming rep. I just keep thinking it will be over soon, it depends on how fast i am. It has worked in the past months.

And...
    Shouldn't there be at least some options like "I bought some pieces"? Just saying, but if someone has bought even a single piece, they'd feel forced to choose option number two, which starts with "You're dumb"...

Just be happy, I heard that there were talks in the Obama administration that they were going to start taking epics from the better players and break them down into hundreds of greens for the lesser players.