Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Rift storm Legion on Steam $23.99

Got a question if I buy Rift Strom Legion on Steam, but I had bought Rift originally on amazon can I still get the expansion from steam or will that just not work? Thanks!

Whenever I just click buy on steam it tells me that I can't buy the game cause I don't own rift original. :/
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

You will need to buy Rift on Steam in order to purchase Storm Legion, as it is an expansion it is just like DLC, you need the original game to purchase it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    You will need to buy Rift on Steam in order to purchase Storm Legion, as it is an expansion it is just like DLC, you need the original game to purchase it.
    But I have the original game I just didn't buy it with steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    Actually, you don't have to buy the original game if you do the raptr deal. Also a free month.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post
    But I have the original game I just didn't buy it with steam.
    I assume Steam gives you a product key for it, which you can just attach to your account on your Rift account management page. From there I would imagine you can just install/play Rift through Steam (or not), or have your already existing client updated.

I didn't purchase/upgrade through Steam so I don't know exactly how it works, that's just what I would imagine would be the process.

I just purchased it and when I went to play it it provided me with a key.

Been wanting to try rift for a while, the price point convinced me.

EDIT: I actually purchased a combo of rift and expansion for $29.95

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    I assume Steam gives you a product key for it, which you can just attach to your account on your Rift account management page. From there I would imagine you can just install/play Rift through Steam (or not), or have your already existing client updated.

I didn't purchase/upgrade through Steam so I don't know exactly how it works, that's just what I would imagine would be the process.
    Alright ty, I will try it hopefully I wont get screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post
    Alright ty, I will try it hopefully I wont get screwed.
    If you do somehow get screwed, which I do not think will happen, call Trion. They have excellent customer service and will get whatever gets screwed up fixed in record time and usually when somethign does get screwed up, their fault or not, they will throw you some time. Short waits and quick resolutions with bonuses thrown in is all I have ever heard about regarding Trion CS.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dang...I had thought it wouldn't go on sale. I guess having my Harbinger was worth the extra 6 bucks to have a more enjoyable leveling experience.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    OMG rift must be losing subs like no tomorrow they are having a sale.

^ sarcasm if you didn't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    OMG rift must be losing subs like no tomorrow they are having a sale.

^ sarcasm if you didn't notice.
    So you are quitting? Can I haz your stuffz?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    So you are quitting? Can I haz your stuffz?
    I need plat like whoa. Leveling crafting got expensive when I hit Cape Jule.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's a bit expensive, but if you're a Runecrafter, you end up making a ton of bank. I've made stupid amounts of plat off of it since maxing it out a few weeks ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a bit expensive, but if you're a Runecrafter, you end up making a ton of bank. I've made stupid amounts of plat off of it since maxing it out a few weeks ago.
    That's why I'm broke in the first place though, can't sell anything b/c I'm too busy breaking it all lol. I also got stuck in a weird spot where I need 301 to RB SL gear, but don't have the mats to get over the hump. It's easier to farm cloth/leather when that happens, but items to RB aren't as easy.

That's why I'm broke in the first place though, can't sell anything b/c I'm too busy breaking it all lol. I also got stuck in a weird spot where I need 301 to RB SL gear, but don't have the mats to get over the hump. It's easier to farm cloth/leather when that happens, but items to RB aren't as easy.
    Run lvl 50 dungeons/experts if you need mats to get over the last bit of the hump.

I'm assuming they didn't reduce the cost of getting from 250ish-300? It makes sense for it to be expensive when that's current, but whenever an expansion hits it's always a pain to get through that bit without having time to farm mats of that level/quality.

Main: Forager / Butcher / Runecrafter
    Alt 1: Mining / Armorsmith / Outfitter
    Alt 2: Foraging / Apothecary / Artificer

Main generates plat and mats, Alt 1 has a pretty easy time leveling because of preexisting mat caches, and feeds main additional greens to runebreak. Alt 2 did really well with this expansion - Apothecary is really easy to level (relatively low mat costs), and provided a very high drop rate of Major Catalysts from daily quest bags for a while (averaging 2-3 each day).

Don't know that this is perfectly optimized - I also still don't have a weaponsmith - but it works rather well for keeping the plat and mats readily available to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Run lvl 50 dungeons/experts if you need mats to get over the last bit of the hump.

I'm assuming they didn't reduce the cost of getting from 250ish-300? It makes sense for it to be expensive when that's current, but whenever an expansion hits it's always a pain to get through that bit without having time to farm mats of that level/quality.
    Yeah they didn't 'really'. I found out the hard way that there were some new recipes available from the trainers on Cape Jule to get from 280-300 with lanzan, because I spent money on crap to make green recipes hoping for procs. That is one thing that isn't explained very well. They should either have the recipe on the trainers out in the old world or have them tell you to go out there.

Having me waste plat b/c I have no idea is kinda silly. And runecrafting doesn't really have a way to catchup like that, since the items I crafted from outfitting turn into old materials and not new mats for runecrafting.

Did we ever get a definitive answer to this? I was thinking of picking up Storm Legion and the price point is nice, but I'm wondering about the "Requires RIFT on Steam" statement as well. I added my install of RIFT to my Steam Library, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiqd View Post
    Did we ever get a definitive answer to this? I was thinking of picking up Storm Legion and the price point is nice, but I'm wondering about the "Requires RIFT on Steam" statement as well. I added my install of RIFT to my Steam Library, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
    Someone start up the Elar signal!

but seriously, anyone want to message him? A lot of people probably need to know if they can get it. (esp raptr people)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Well unfortunately I saw this thread and thought I'd give Rift another go due to the Steam sale, but I warn people DO NOT buy the expansion through Steam unless you also purchased the original through them. It wouldn't let me buy it, saying I don't own the original with them but I thought I'd be clever and "gift" the game to myself hoping there'd just be a code; there isn't.

There's threads around the internet stating they're not compatable, and I can't get them to work, so I'll be chasing up a refund in the morning. Steam are way too full of themselves.

TLDR: Steam expansion doesn't work with standard Rift installs.
    Robtrina of Sylvanas.
    Robwong of Sylvanas.
    Roblína of Sylvanas.