Thread: Gear models?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gear models?

As someone who is considering buying this game, I was wondering if those of you who have put some time into it are pleased with the way armor and weapons look. As odd as it may sound this is sort of a big deal to me so give me your thoughts on it please. I like my characters to look bad***

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you wanna do and what armor/weapons you wanna sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

gw2armor.com

weapons I find most to be quite boring, some are cool but due to not being dyeable (seriously anet...) sometimes weapons just don't fit with gear so it's a whole new lvl of planning.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary you can check the legendary weapons here (although I advise using youtube so you can see the effects)

I can't say I am too please with the look of equipment in the game or the limitations. It's one of my few gripes with the game; cosmetic options are about as sophisticated as Everquest 2.

Don't really enjoy any armor or weapon skin in the game. I sometimes transmute high level gear to low level gear appearance. Because its the least cringe inducing.

Fairly terrible and generic stuff.

So..the general consensus is that gear looks lame.
    How does it match-up to WoW?

Better than World of Warcraft, in my opinion.

World of Warcraft is one of the most repulsive MMOs I have ever played. It looks like someone threw-up a box of crayolas on Saturday morning cartoon models.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Ultor View Post
    So..the general consensus is that gear looks lame.
    How does it match-up to WoW?
    There are some pieces that look ok, some look crappy , some look awesome. Especially plate. Plate is nom-nomable.
    However this is just my personal opinion.
    Weapons however, are a whole different story. I am a BF Sword type of guy and I only like 2 greatswords in the game (legendaries don't count) and I own one of them so that's a fail for me (no incentive to go do other stuff)
    Overall though, apart from the really high-end pieces, i think they went for a sort of realism with the sets. (Once again talking mostly about plate and leather since I have only leveled a Thief and a Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

World of Warcraft is one of the most repulsive MMOs I have ever played. It looks like someone threw-up a box of crayolas on Saturday morning cartoon models.
    I like you. Anyway, you really think the armor and weapons looked that bad in WoW? I thought some of them were pretty cool, which I guess means I'll like Gw2 based off what you said. Maybe you're just a much tougher critic than I am on this area. :P

I'm split down the middle for both weapons and armor. To me, some weapons/armor pieces look fantastic, while others look like garbage. It's all subjective.

In comparison to WoW, armor is a lot less ridiculous in most cases, mainly due to a more realistic aesthetic (as opposed to WoW's cartoon-ish style).

Having been on a Sword Art Online bent recently, there are plenty of gear options I wish would exist in GW2 that don't (as well as the lack of weapon dying capability that Fencers mentioned).

Indeed, it's better than WoW's. Well apart from certain DK and Warrior tiers everything else just sucked

Check out Dulfy.net. Plenty of weapon models there. She just put up the axe skins gallery today.

I think like most games there's good and bad, but it all depends on what you think looks cool.

Check the "post your character" thread for lots of examples. I find some hideous but others are pretty sweet. Everyone has different tastes, the transmog system in gw2 is also pretty flexible.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Ultor View Post
    I like you. Anyway, you really think the armor and weapons looked that bad in WoW? I thought some of them were pretty cool, which I guess means I'll like Gw2 based off what you said. Maybe you're just a much tougher critic than I am on this area. :P
    Yea. World of Warcraft looks terrible. It has to. It runs on an engine over 10 years old. World of Warcraft is essentially a Warcraft 3 mod.

Do note I am not a 12 year old boy in spirit or actuality. The appeal of huge shoulder pads, spiked helmets, swords the size of surf boards and other "badassery" of cartoon-ville is not particularly strong for me.

However, might be worth taking a look through the screenshots of regular forum users here.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ter-Screenshot

Wide range of styles and graphics fidelity. It's mostly user screenshots too.

Very well might be a scholar shows up to dungeon like this or this. Skimpy outfit thieves, rangers & engineers abound. Along with incredible hulk looking Charr & Norn and human soldiers.

I don't want to wear any of that stuff personally. But ya know, World of Warcraft looks like; this.

Which is like, awful.

Deleted
    Do note I am not a 12 year old boy in spirit or actuality. The appeal of huge shoulder pads, spiked helmets, swords the size of surf boards and other "badassery" of cartoon-ville is not particularly strong for me.
    a bit offensive dont you think?

i like the graphics and overall design of wow. i have to agree that its a bit behind time but blizzard lately started to improve the graphics step by step. after all its a matter of taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    a bit offensive dont you think?

i like the graphics and overall design of wow. i have to agree that its a bit behind time but blizzard lately started to improve the graphics step by step. after all its a matter of taste.
    What's there to be offended about its just an opinion on someone's particular taste, but to OP some armor are cool looking personally I think cloth gear is the most well done of the three armor types.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're into Medieval/Scandinavian Mythology, then you'll love the armors they have to offer, especially for Heavy armor, it's the whole reason why I play the game, so much influence from both sides.

10+ Year Old Account
    After wearing what amounts to a tapestry rug in WoW for umpteen years, I am quite enjoying the light gear models in GW2.

http://gw2armorgallery.com/human-light.htm

I'm up to 250+ dyes. The possibilities are endless.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    What? The armor looks absolutely amazing in GW2.

http://www.gw2armor.com/

I wear Norn cultural tier 3 armor myself (heavy), which looks pretty ''bad***'' imo. Also know that you can combine, transmute and dye all armor.
    Last edited by mmoc3157d46ea6; 2013-01-05 at 12:05 PM.

I love this thread where people mix various armorsets to get a new fantastic look

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/.../page__st__270

my favourites:

Deleted

Idd, most of the armor in wow is basically just a recollor of the skin. some sets doesn't even look like armor : /