Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    "How do awful people use dating sites"? Wow, what a thread title. There are plenty of decent people using dating sites that simply don't have chances to meet people. A lot of people go the dating site route so they can be more selective. Being matched up based on interests and values can streamline the process of meeting someone you're compatible with. Like everything in life, there will be successes and failures when using such a service.

Deleted
    Most people have a good side. Just because you think someone is awful, doesn't mean everyone of the opposite sex in the world thinks they're awful. Dating sites open up a massive pool of people making the odds increase that someone out there is going to find something about you they like. No one is perfect. Most of us dislike something greatly about their partner but make compromises and learn to love the good things. People who never got dates because they are "boring, shitty people and no one likes them", as you say, are only boring shitty people to you. Someone out there will not only like them, but love them, just gotta find the right person.

Of course, on a cynical side, a lot of people present their best attributes on a dating site - but doesn't everyone do that? When you meet someone you fancy in a club or restaurant or at the gym or work or wherever it is you meet new people, you don't go right in there with "Oh hi, I have athletes foot and anger management issues." No matter whether it's online or in person, most people put their best face forward when meeting others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    It's no different than any other method of getting a date I suppose. You show your best qualities, and hide the bad ones. You wouldn't get a date anywhere by going up to a girl and saying "Hi, I have athletes foot".
    Haha I guess some girls could find that quirky .

If you think your athlete's foot is preventing you from finding girls. Why not simply treat it ?

Also I bet people who you find boring and awful have a few friends of their own who disagree with you. Just because you've judged somebody doesn't mean they are what you perceive them to be.

I once met a partner on the internet and happened to be one of the best relationships I've had. Don't see why it has to work any different than real life, might take a few more steps though.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2013-01-05 at 03:58 PM.

Deleted
    Just because you think someone is "shitty and boring" it doesn't mean they
    a) actually really are
    b) there aren't similiar people in the world who are looking for someone

On the internet you can get to know a lot about a person before you even talk to them in text online so it makes it very easy to find a date that is/could be compatible with you.

I've never tried online dating nor could I because there aren't enough people in my country doing it (yet), but the idea is good.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2013-01-05 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezeburger View Post
    Dating sites creep me out. But I know a lot of people who really like them. I also know a lot of shitty, boring people who use them and somehow get dates. People who never got dates without using dating sites because they are shitty, boring people and nobody likes them. How does this work? Are people who use dating sites just less discriminating? Lonelier? Or, more likely, are my acquaintances simply lying in their biographies? If so, how do they finesse their terrible personalities into something worth meeting for lunch at Applebees?

Take myself, for example. I have anger issues and don't like to do a lot of things. I also get athlete's foot all the time. How would I go from that to eligible bachelor? Hypothetically, of course.

OP me thinks you need to not look at the bad side so much.. Who's to say who's eligible?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    It's no different than any other method of getting a date I suppose. You show your best qualities, and hide the bad ones. You wouldn't get a date anywhere by going up to a girl and saying "Hi, I have athletes foot".
    Or "hi, I have anger issues, hopefully you'll never have to cope with that, but who knows!"

As a moderator on okcupid, I see some very messed up stuff, for first messages. Try being nice and bringing up a topic that perhaps the girl may like or something you two have in common. Avoid talking about athlete's foot and anger issues...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Not having to be face to face, people open up more, which leads to setting up the date. It is once they meet up in person when things get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezeburger View Post
    Dating sites creep me out. But I know a lot of people who really like them. I also know a lot of shitty, boring people who use them and somehow get dates. People who never got dates without using dating sites because they are shitty, boring people and nobody likes them. How does this work? Are people who use dating sites just less discriminating? Lonelier? Or, more likely, are my acquaintances simply lying in their biographies? If so, how do they finesse their terrible personalities into something worth meeting for lunch at Applebees?

Take myself, for example. I have anger issues and don't like to do a lot of things. I also get athlete's foot all the time. How would I go from that to eligible bachelor? Hypothetically, of course.
    no offense, but you really sound kinda pathetic. Are you just ranting about your lack of success on dating sites or are you looking for advice on using a dating site?

Seriously, if you have athletes' foot, treat it...seriously.
    And just because you think people are shitty and boring, doesn't make them shitty and boring. It's just your opinion. Just because, as an example, a girl who loves to read isn't an attractive quality to you, doesn't mean that it won't be to someone else. Hell, it's an amazing way to get a conversation going if you've read a lot of the same books and from personal experience can lead straight into the bedroom.

Personally, for me, it's a way to meet a lot of people that I wouldn't have otherwise known or got to know. I don't like the whole bar scene because I really don't drink that much, and honestly sex while drunk isn't usually that good at least when you compare it to not drunk sex. Hell, my opinion is that if you have to get a girl drunk to have sex with you, that makes you kind of pathetic. But if you get a girl to sleep with you that's stone cold sober, then you know she really wants you.