Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"Still working on that thing that has spells land on different parts of the body?" :o

In the recent MMO blue posts, someone asks GC on Twitter: "Are you guys still kinda working on that thing that has spells land on different parts of the target's body?"

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...22272966160384

Yeah. It won't be anytime soon though. It's a big project.
    I had no recollection of this info ever being mentioned before, does anyone know when Blizz first discussed this?
    They make it sound like it's years away if ever coming, but locational damage sounds fantastic. I would never dare to think it was anything like Tera, but a man can dream. Still, even if it's very different, it sounds like the sort of thing I've always wondered about existing somewhere in an experimental room at Blizzard HQ where all the devs are playing strange modified "what if" versions of WOW with strange and wondrous mechanics and content. It's cool to know they're messing around with stuff like this after 8 years.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but I'm curious when this information was first learned about?
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    having random arrows over my body means hunters don't really aim.

OT: that would be cool, but first character updates for convenience.

Deleted
    Hmm I don't really see how this implementation could make a big difference when it comes to visuals. Most spells are as big as the character itself, and it affects the entire body ( incinerate, lava burst, frostfire bolt, deep freeze, etc ) I'd see this having a major impact only for hunters, and maybe icelance spamming mages....
    But I would like to see a huge Lava Burst aimed for the enemies face....xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    Hmm I don't really see how this implementation could make a big difference when it comes to visuals. Most spells are as big as the character itself, and it affects the entire body ( incinerate, lava burst, frostfire bolt, deep freeze, etc ) I'd see this having a major impact only for hunters, and maybe icelance spamming mages....
    But I would like to see a huge Lava Burst aimed for the enemies face....xD
    Hello, PvE game.

Deleted
    Ugh...where is my brain at. Forgot about the overly grown bosses that roam the world these days xD. My bad ( though some have attackable limbs )

Hunter headshots = crits?

Just throwing it out there.

They've mentioned it briefly in passing before that it's something they'd like to do. Since it'll be purely cosmetic though, I doubt we're gonna see it this expansion.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Hunter headshots = crits?

Just throwing it out there.
    That would be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone probably asked about it at one of the past Blizzcons and GC most likely said "sure that would be cool"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not even sure if I'm confused about this or...just not have any feelings about this. Well...here's hoping more tweets and blue posts come out.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

That'd be pretty cool as long as it was purely aesthetic.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

I remember reading about this a while back in what I'm pretty sure was a blue post. It'd just make your firballs or w/e hit the first part of an enemy model they touch instead of going to the single point in space where the enemy technically exists. It would be aesthetic. So like if you shoot a fireball at onyxia from her left maybe it would hit her wing or somesuch.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine this won't ever see the light of day.

It'd require a massive rework of how animations work for spells, plus it would have to be random or everyone would just shoot fireballs at your groin and arrows at your knee.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    something like kill cams, finisher moves would be nice.
    f.e.
    a fire mage that kills his enemy should go up in ashes instead of the common death animation. Same should go for ele shaman.

Arcane should turn enemy into dust (recolor of ash effect)

Melee should either behead, cleave the body etc. less bloody effect for non-plate melees and more bloody for plate melee.

obv it is just the death animation that changes.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    something like kill cams, finisher moves would be nice.
    f.e.
    a fire mage that kills his enemy should go up in ashes instead of the common death animation. Same should go for ele shaman.

Arcane should turn enemy into dust (recolor of ash effect)

Melee should either behead, cleave the body etc. less bloody effect for non-plate melees and more bloody for plate melee.

obv it is just the death animation that changes.
    The last thing we need is to slow the game down. Kill cams would make you wait longer to release, and finishing moves would mandate slow motion which would annoy everyone.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    "obv it is just the death animation that changes."

Ofc it shouldn't slow the game down. The regular death animation change a bit, and in most cases, turning into ash WoW-style (f.e.) should be faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of when--in late BC or early Wrath, I think--they made Mind Flay target the enemy's face "for proper meltage". It was just a cosmetic change, but it was definitely a cool thing. xD

I don't really understand how this could be implemented with WoW's lock-on targeting system. It's not like you can aim attacks at certain parts of a character's body. They've done this kind of thing with raid bosses a few times just by making different body parts separately targetable.

If they have hinted about working on this kind of thing, I would assume they were talking about a future project like Titan, not World of Warcraft. I don't expect them to completely overhaul the combat mechanics of an 8 year old game.

melees would be affected pretty hard by this i guess 8> "woops i slipped and only graced your right foots middle toe" maybe somedy here knows the combat logs from dwarf fortress?

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess they'll just randomize the X/Y-axis of the spell/projectile a little, based on the target's hitbox. Of course the randomizing would be regulated, doesn't make much sense to get a record-high crit when the attack hit the target's hand. Or something like that, just a little diversity. Nothing I'd jizz my pants over but it's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    maybe somedy here knows the combat logs from dwarf fortress?

HAHAHAHAHA YES, oh man that shit's hilarious.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home