Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    melees would be affected pretty hard by this i guess 8> "woops i slipped and only graced your right foots middle toe" maybe somedy here knows the combat logs from dwarf fortress?
    DF overdoes it a little in the specifics department. And then puts thorns on it. Made from Leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    I guess they'll just randomize the X/Y-axis of the spell/projectile a little, based on the target's hitbox. Of course the randomizing would be regulated, doesn't make much sense to get a record-high crit when the attack hit the target's hand. Or something like that, just a little diversity. Nothing I'd jizz my pants over but it's nice.
    More likely the spell aims for random parts of the model, otherwise you'd end up with spells hitting despite visibly missing.

A few people need to get back down on the ground though. This is a visual change, not you aiming for specific bodyparts for special effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    I don't really understand how this could be implemented with WoW's lock-on targeting system. It's not like you can aim attacks at certain parts of a character's body. They've done this kind of thing with raid bosses a few times just by making different body parts separately targetable.

If they have hinted about working on this kind of thing, I would assume they were talking about a future project like Titan, not World of Warcraft. I don't expect them to completely overhaul the combat mechanics of an 8 year old game.
    You're right, overhauling the entire combat system of an 8-year-old game would be pointless. Luckily this isn't a complete combat overhaul, it's just a visual thing. Sometimes Explosive Shot hits the boss' face; other times, it hits his thigh. The damage is still the same and there are no additional mechanics, it's just that the projectile hit in a different location on the enemy's model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    More likely the spell aims for random parts of the model, otherwise you'd end up with spells hitting despite visibly missing.
    Ah, yes, of course.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Hunter headshots = crits?

Just throwing it out there.
    Maybe add it as a proc move that is exclusive to hunters? Would definitely give the class a more unique feel and enliven the currently dull playstyle.

In-game decapitation please.

(For all the men playing female draenei, of course)

More death animations would be nice, they already have a "turns to ash" animation for warlock portals don't they?

It seems interesting...

Mostly I'd just like to know where the info came from in the first place.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    having random arrows over my body means hunters don't really aim.

OT: that would be cool, but first character updates for convenience.
    Just be sure not to aim at their kne-

Nevermind.

Anyway, it'd (it'll) be interesting to see how they go about doing this kind of thing... I know some cast animations are pre-set to rig in with the casting model's mouth/hands/etc, but a random target for spells strikes me as much more complicated.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Honestly, for most classes, this would be nice... not so much for hunters.

We're supposed to be master marksmans. Hitting a leg when we're aiming to kill... not so mastery.

They weren't talking about a positional based combat system any different from now, it was referring to purely visual aesthetics along with stuff singed skin and clothing after being hit with fire or tattered clothing at low durability. It was a blue post in early Wrath if I remember correctly. Maybe early Cata.

I don't understand why this is an interesting idea. Players would just aim for the part that does the most damage every time, thereby negating the whole point anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darqhur
    I don't understand why this is an interesting idea. Players would just aim for the part that does the most damage every time, thereby negating the whole point anyway.
    Not how it works... other people seem to not get this as well.

Say you're a caster:

This is how the visual combat system works as of now:

1.You fire a spell.
    2.The spell zips towards the boss
    3.It hits the boss in the chest for X amount of damage
    4.Repeat from step 1 until boss is dead

What would happen under this NEW system:

1.You fire a spell
    2.The spell zips towards the boss
    3. The visual effect can randomly hit the boss in the arm or leg or chest or head or whatever for X amount of damage
    4. Repeat from step 1 until boss is dead
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    I don't really understand how this could be implemented with WoW's lock-on targeting system. It's not like you can aim attacks at certain parts of a character's body. They've done this kind of thing with raid bosses a few times just by making different body parts separately targetable.

If they have hinted about working on this kind of thing, I would assume they were talking about a future project like Titan, not World of Warcraft. I don't expect them to completely overhaul the combat mechanics of an 8 year old game.

it would work exactly the same as it does now, but instead of hitting the face or neck point of the boss model, it would choose maybe 5-6 different locations of impact, and instead of flying off to the face it might hit the side or the leg or wigs if the boss has them etc, all these other things ppl are bringing up is likely not technicaly possible, as for the amount of work required, i doubt it is very much but it is more than they are WILLING to put into something like this, the risk doesn't =/> reward, so it is on a backburner/not being touched.

Quote Originally Posted by darqhur View Post
    What a weird way of looking at aim oriented combat. While this isn't what's being talked about, if it were, the whole point of the game would be trying to not miss, yes. But that's like saying if people died when they fell in a pit while playing Mario that "people would just avoid falling in pits". lol

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 01:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    They weren't talking about a positional based combat system any different from now, it was referring to purely visual aesthetics along with stuff singed skin and clothing after being hit with fire or tattered clothing at low durability. It was a blue post in early Wrath if I remember correctly. Maybe early Cata.
    I think I am starting to remember this. I'm glad to know they still are messing with ideas like this after 8 years. I love all flavor animations and wish we had a lot more. Most of my fun in WOW is from controlling these characters like puppets.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I think it'd be interesting to have it tie into a killing blow.

Deleted
    Okay, this is one of the things that players will rage SO HARD when it's implemented in game and its just random hits over targets body, not headshots with double damage or something else they have speculated in their own minds.

As said before, I think it only randomizes where your projectiles hit, as now they all will hit in same spot in the middle of the target (chest usually). No any damage modifications, just random hits over target.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's simply about projectiles flying into different parts of the model instead of one point. No big deal.

I think I remember the post now which was talking about ice shards sticking in people's chests.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    I think I remember the post now which was talking about ice shards sticking in people's chests.

Imagine those sticking in your head and arms!