Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New PC, not a millionaire :)

So I want
    to buy a new PC, I've been looking around the internet for some hours now, and this is the best I could come up with (i think)

Intel i7-3770
    ASUS Motherboard H61
    2GB GTX660 MSI TWINFROZR III (overclocked edition)
    500GB 7200 RPM HDD
    8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Hyper-X Kingston RAM
    22x DvD DiscDrive
    Cooler Master Elite Cabinet
    700w PSU, Low Noise 17DB High-End
    8 Channels SoundCard, Surround Sound
    6x USB (2 at the front)
    Network Card 10/100/1000Mbit (gigabit speed)
    Temperature controlled CPU cooler

Those are all the infos I have available.

Since I'm not a millionaire I'm willing to spend 5k-7k kroner which is around 900-1200 dollars.
    The PC is 1000 dollars, give or take a few....That is with the CPU upgraded to i7-3770 (I do a lot of editing and use many programs at the same time, so was told that would be benificial)

I am not a computer wiz at all....But I'm pretty sure that with that PC I'm not getting super boned in the ***, please tell me if you think differently? And give me ur 2 cents.

also(I wish I could build a pc myself but, that's just not gonna happen with my 10 thumbs)

other than that, thank you in advance and have a nice Sunday

-Bingo
    Last edited by mmoc82e8c0f219; 2013-01-06 at 11:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks pretty good. What do you mean by 'editing'. A lot of people think they need an i7 because they do 'video editing' when their idea of video editing is converting a youtube clip to gif format every few months for reddit.

You can probably get a Z77 motherboard for about the same price, and it'll be a good option if you want to overclock, if you do decide on getting an i5 CPU, or a K Model i7.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-06 at 11:17 AM.

Deleted
    You might also want to consider an SSD. I got one with my new pc and now I don't think I can live without it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    You might also want to consider an SSD. I got one with my new pc and now I don't think I can live without it.
    I was actually 1-click away from adding it to cart, but I decided to wait a bit, in hope of prices dropping...They seems pretty high atm :/ but yeah point taken.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Looks pretty good. What do you mean by 'editing'. A lot of people think they need an i7 because they do 'video editing' when their idea of video editing is converting a youtube clip to gif format every few months for reddit.

You can probably get a Z77 motherboard for about the same price, and it'll be a good option if you want to overclock, if you do decide on getting an i5 CPU, or a K Model i7.

I never overclocked anything before, so I'm not sure what is safe and what is not....I'm using vegas for video editing, It does happen that I'm editing video/song have a game open and I'm watching a documentary at the same time. So the motherboard you mentioned is better if I'm up for trying to overclock?

Thx
    Last edited by mmoc82e8c0f219; 2013-01-06 at 11:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never overclocked anything before, so I'm not sure what is safe and what is not....
    These days its pretty easy. Just go into BIOS and tell it to use a 38x (3.8ghz) instead of 34x (3.4ghz stock). That's probably as high as I'd recommend with a stock retail cooler (which I have). With a nice 3rd party cooler, you can push that up to 4.5 or so. There are plenty of forum posts about it.

I'm using vegas for video editing, It does happen that I'm editing video/song have a game open and I'm watching a documentary at the same time. So the motherboard you mentioned is better if I'm up for trying to overclock?
    I did a bit of poking around, and it appears that Vegas -does- benefit from HT... but not by much. 20% at the most, but more likely around 10%-15% for rendering. So basically ask yourself... Is a 10% bonus to Vegas, and ONLY Vegas (most other programs don't benefit, and some, like Photoshop CS, specifically don't like it), is worth $100 or so.

As far as the board itself goes, the H61 chipset cannot overclock. Period. That is why the Z77 is often recommended since you can get them for just about as cheap (485 SEK for the one I bought about 2-3 months ago) and they support everything, and do everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    These days its pretty easy. Just go into BIOS and tell it to use a 38x (3.8ghz) instead of 34x (3.4ghz stock). That's probably as high as I'd recommend with a stock retail cooler (which I have). With a nice 3rd party cooler, you can push that up to 4.5 or so. There are plenty of forum posts about it.

I did a bit of poking around, and it appears that Vegas -does- benefit from HT... but not by much. 20% at the most, but more likely around 10%-15% for rendering. So basically ask yourself... Is a 10% bonus to Vegas, and ONLY Vegas (most other programs don't benefit, and some, like Photoshop CS, specifically don't like it), is worth $100 or so.

As far as the board itself goes, the H61 chipset cannot overclock. Period. That is why the Z77 is often recommended since you can get them for just about as cheap (485 SEK for the one I bought about 2-3 months ago) and they support everything, and do everything.
    Only motherboard I can upgrade to on the page where I found the PC is ASUS P8B75-M would that be beneficial?
    I'll reconsider the i7 and try to look into what of my programs exactly will benefit from multithreading.

Deleted
    Since its a prebuilt, i'm guessing it will be difficult to replace the motherboard and Power supply?

The CPU and and GPU are strong.

The motherboard is probably the cheapest Ivy Bridge motherboard you can get on the market. From the specs listed, i'm assuming there is no USB 3.0 support (there is a revision of the H61 that does support USB 3.0, but there are in total 8 USB ports on that version). No Sata III support either, not that important since you're not buying an expensive SSD let alone one of the more affordable ones. If I'm right, than that motherboard will limit your media storage upgrades that utilize those speedier connections. Something to consider. A H77 motherboard has those features and are relatively cheap, but in terms of real cost you're probably talking an extra 200-300 Kroner.

If you're not interested in overclocking, a H77 or even a B75 should be good for your needs.

The PSU, with no model number, is another point of contention. If you can get in contact with them and ask about the brand, that would probably be a good idea but my guess is since its a prebuilt, its probably a fairly cheap OEM PSUs to keep costs down. Cheap and poorly made PSUs can cause real instability to your system and they are arguably the most important component of any PC build.

Still, if you get 2-3 years warranty for free on that prebuilt and you're not too fussed about the small storage capacity and the lack of future connectivity, then that build should be fine for your needs.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-01-06 at 12:30 PM.

Deleted
    Hey bingo, nice seeing u here.
    Imo u're spending too much on the cpu and getting a crappy MB. I think an OC'ed 3570k will do better than your 3770, so i would say go for that and get a decent z77 MBwhile u're at it.

What site are you looking to order from?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    What site are you looking to order from?
    topdata(dot)dk

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 02:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alexzander View Post
    Hey bingo, nice seeing u here.
    Imo u're spending too much on the cpu and getting a crappy MB. I think an OC'ed 3570k will do better than your 3770, so i would say go for that and get a decent z77 MBwhile u're at it.
    Thx, yeh that's what the others said too...So there should be something to it I guess

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 02:05 PM ----------

SOO change CPU from i7-3770 to i5-3570k

change motherboard to ASUS P8B75-M (since I can't get the H77)

And figure out what PSU the shop is using....

That sohuld be what I've got from you guys so far right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bingobjarne View Post
    So I want
    to buy a new PC, I've been looking around the internet for some hours now, and this is the best I could come up with (i think)

Intel i7-3770
    ASUS Motherboard H61
    2GB GTX660 MSI TWINFROZR III (overclocked edition)
    500GB 7200 RPM HDD
    8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Hyper-X Kingston RAM
    22x DvD DiscDrive
    Cooler Master Elite Cabinet
    700w PSU, Low Noise 17DB High-End
    8 Channels SoundCard, Surround Sound
    6x USB (2 at the front)
    Network Card 10/100/1000Mbit (gigabit speed)
    Temperature controlled CPU cooler

Those are all the infos I have available.

Since I'm not a millionaire I'm willing to spend 5k-7k kroner which is around 900-1200 dollars.
    The PC is 1000 dollars, give or take a few....That is with the CPU upgraded to i7-3770 (I do a lot of editing and use many programs at the same time, so was told that would be benificial)

I am not a computer wiz at all....But I'm pretty sure that with that PC I'm not getting super boned in the ***, please tell me if you think differently? And give me ur 2 cents.

also(I wish I could build a pc myself but, that's just not gonna happen with my 10 thumbs)

other than that, thank you in advance and have a nice Sunday

-Bingo
    Jeg ville satsa på litt dårligere CPU og gått for gtx 660 ti + mere ram generelt. med et low/mid grafikk kort trenger du ikke så kraftig PSU, 500w burde holde i massevis og da vil prisen gå ned betraktelig også. Nettverks kort trenger du heller ikke da det normalt er det på hovedkortet.

Please use English when you post on these boards. We can't have everyone using their native language; it would be a total mess. Please read the Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines. http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php

Translation:
    I would suggest investing in a slightly worse CPU and a GTX 660 Ti instead + more RAM. With a low/mid range graphics card you don't really need such a powerful PSU, 500W should keep everything running just fine and lower the price further as well. You don't need a network card as it is usually integrated on the motherboard.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2013-01-06 at 01:45 PM.

Deleted
    Yes I can't change the PSU....SSD is on hold for me atm...And I don't even know what SATA III does =p what I can see from your post and others, is that another motherboard would be good...But they only let me upgrade to the ASUS P8B75-M, was that the one you referred to
    Yes the B75 has Sata III, and its the latest interface to allow faster data transfer between storage components and its twice the speed of Sata II. If you're not planning on purchasing an SSD then there is little point in fussing over it.

Do note though, you cannot overclock the CPU portion of the i5 3570k on a B75 motherboard. It will be a wasted effort.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-01-06 at 01:22 PM.

http://topdata.dk/product.asp?product=8601 looks decent from that shop.
    That is if you can't build yourself.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Yes the B75 has Sata III, and its the latest interface to allow faster data transfer between storage components and its twice the speed of Sata II. If you're not planning on purchasing an SSD then there is little point in fussing over it.

Do note though, you cannot overclock the CPU portion of the i5 3570k on a B75 motherboard. It will be a wasted effort.

So what you are saying is that there is no need to get the B75 over the H61 even if I decide to get the i5 3570k instead of the i7-3770 since the motherboard won't let me overclock the CPU anyways?

So I should just stick with H61?

Deleted
    So what you are saying is that there is no need to get the B75 over the H61 even if I decide to get the i5 3570k instead of the i7-3770 since the motherboard won't let me overclock the CPU anyways?

So I should just stick with H61?
    I believe he's hinting towards Z77 board.

Deleted
    Yes the B75 will not allow you to overclock the i5 3570k. If you save a decent amount of money by sticking with a H61, then by all means do so. In the end, if you're more into video editing or using multi-threaded programs, given your limited motherboard choices, I would probably stick with the i7 3770.

Deleted
    Still better then mine

Have you checked the Crucial M4 as SD ?

I've got it right now and it's well worth the money.

128GB for 110$ on Newegg.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Yes the B75 will not allow you to overclock the i5 3570k. If you save a decent amount of money by sticking with a H61, then by all means do so. In the end, if you're more into video editing or using multi-threaded programs, given your limited motherboard choices, I would probably stick with the i7 3770.
    with the i7 and the h61

compared to i5(k) and a motherboard that will allow it to overclock

I save around 100 dollars from that shop.

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 02:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    Have you checked the Crucial M4 as SD ?

I've got it right now and it's well worth the money.

128GB for 110$ on Newegg.

Nah I've only looked roughly through SSD's and have decided that 100-150 bucks is too much for me atm...I've heard once u go SSD u never go back, but I haven't gone there yet so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on.

---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 02:59 PM ----------

The shop claims that 2GB GTX660 MSI TWINFROZR III (overclocked edition) is as fast as GeForce GTX 660 TI

Is this true? is TI the same as SLI? Meaning 2 cards? Slightly confused here.

Deleted
    with the i7 and the h61

compared to i5(k) and a motherboard that will allow it to overclock

I save around 100 dollars from that shop.

If saving money and you want a more gaming orientated and if you're willing to make an effort with overclocking, then by all means go for this option. Bear in mind that you'll need to invest in a decent after market cooler to make the most of that CPU. The case might limit your options when choosing a decent CPU cooler. This requires some research of course and it will ofcourse increase the cost of your build.

Nah I've only looked roughly through SSD's and have decided that 100-150 bucks is too much for me atm...I've heard once u go SSD u never go back, but I haven't gone there yet so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on.The shop claims that 2GB GTX660 MSI TWINFROZR III (overclocked edition) is as fast as GeForce GTX 660 TI

Is this true? is TI the same as SLI? Meaning 2 cards? Slightly confused here.
    No Ti is not the same as SLI. SLI is a configuration when you have between two-four Nvidia cards with the same GPU architecture working together. Your motherboard may not support this feature.

TI is a suffix used at the end of Nvidia's 660TI. They have more stream processors and texture units than a Nvidia 660 card without the suffix of TI.

660TI cards in general perform better than 660 cards because of higher Stream Processors and higher texture units. This means that when playing at 1080p with some visual quality options cranked up (Such as MSAA), then the 660TI will perform better. When you're not enabling such features, then there is little difference between the two cards. It also depends on the games you're playing as well, but in general you see 12% increase in performance.

But remember, given the numerous designs of the 660 and the 660TI then the performance gap will vary considerably. This is usually reflected in price anyhow.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-01-06 at 02:21 PM.