Poll: Do you sign the petition to remove flying mounts?

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    It's not juts about exploring... it's about world pvp.
    2005 called... they are missing you for the raid on southshore.

Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    What ho all,

This is a poll, which might turn into a genuine petition to show Blizzard if enough people respond 'Yes'.

Have enough people voted 'No' so that we can show Blizzard how much we don't want this to happen?

OP obviously just thinks he's a game designer, telling us what has killed WoW. Firstly, that's an entirely different debate that shouldn't even be touched, because it goes on way too long with far too many people with their own opinions of what they want in, removed, or put back in the game. If another game satisfies your desires more, move on to it. No one is forcing you to stay here.

From an aesthetic point of view, I don't know who you're all kidding, but WoW is hardly beautiful. It has a disgustingly outdated graphics engines given the size of its playerbase and the revenue generated, and they keep crying about not having sufficient resources to fix nearly decade old player models, let alone scenery. I play games like Final Fantasy or Skyrim for beautiful scenic views, not World of Warcraft.

From an enjoyment point of view, refer to Callei's post. I have played since Beta, I have done every continent without flying, I farmed for days to afford ground mounts and weeks to afford epic flying, and I have earned the right to traverse it how I see fit, and either for convenience or for my own pleasure, flying will always be superior in virtually every aspect.

For gameplay purposes, Blizzard designs content, not "worlds". Therefore, travel should serve only to reach that content. I only read the first few pages, because OP clearly just repeats himself over and over, but unless he's proposing to remove flight paths as well, then removing flying mounts wouldn't even do anything to restore the "scenic" properties of WoW. If anything, when I fly on a mount, I generally have to be alert when I do as to not bump into mountains or fly into fatigue zones. The instant I click on a flight path, I afk. The fraction of players that do NOT click a flight path and go afk is about as pathetically small as the people who agree with you. Oh, then you would have to remove passenger mounts, warlock summons, mage portals, heirloom items, virtually anything that causes a player to teleport in any way as to detract from their so called "experience".

Overall, there's not much to enjoy, your arguments are pathetic, and the fact that you want Blizzard to redesign the "running" experience just for you is selfish and delusional.

No it's not, because the republicans still have a say.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 05:05 AM ----------

So many ignorant commentators in the thread right now, spewing the same senseless crap over and over.

To even suggest that having 90% of the population constantly airborne or stationed outside the auction house is a good thing is on the verge of insanity. If anything, it's a sign of the declining health of the game. It has become ill, and flying is a symptom.

Yes, granted, going back to old content isn't fun. New design needs to be put in place if the ground is to feel relevant in every continent. But claiming that playing most of the game from a bloody flying mount (when not in a raid, etc.) is an improvement is just ridiculous. You may love your mounts and the way the game is spoon-feeding you all the content now that you never have to wait or fight for anything or to get anywhere, but that you actually think the game is more enjoyable in that state makes me despair for all humankind.

Flying mounts aren't a solution to the problem, they are an effect of it. The problem (insufficient ground-based content) needs to be fixed in order for you fly boys to feel welcome down below again. But staying in the air doesn't solve anything, nor is it the best way this game could be played.
    the only solution to the problem i see here is for you to quit playing if you don't like it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 05:10 AM ----------

And I shall make you wait no longer.

First of all, I have trouble believing you when you say that you are immersed in the game while constantly airborne. Or, at least, as immersed as you were before the entirety of the gameplay moved above the tree tops. If you really are fully immersed, you must either be very easy to please, or have a rather strange definition of immersion. If you genuinely feel that you are in the midst of a great, living world as you hover far above; constantly threatened by danger, bound by the physical constraints of the world, gladly playing along in the theatre of the harsh medieval life that Azeroth attempts to mimic, then I congratulate you. From my point of view, you are cheating the world, disobeying its rules, avoiding its challenges, and only reaping its rewards. This is Blizzard's fault, not yours, but all the same.

Pandaria does have some truly spectacular views from the air, as do most continents. I would love to see them every now and again, and wouldn't mind paying one of the Grummles of Kun-Lai to take me up in a hot air balloon for a short tour in return for a small sum of gold. See what I did there? Flying mounts are not a necessary tool to make use of beautiful scenery. As I've said a million times, it is up to Blizzard to invent little mechanics that allow us to keep the good aspects of flying, while removing the bad ones.
    bold 1: that's funny, because i have trouble believing that you are a mentally balanced individual.

bold 2: walking is not a necessary tool to make use of beautiful scenery. enjoy the scenery the way you want to enjoy it. it is your choice. but you need to deflate your rp ego a bit if you think you should be able to make that choice for everyone.

Simple, don't want to fly? Don't. I do not share your enthusiasm.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've used my ground mount to get from point A to point B because I've felt like it. But to be forced to do that all the time again would suck. As you said, "The choice is yours" your ground mount still works.

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Now imagine flying was removed. Try to imagine the sort of hell that would be raised.
    And for that reason, I hesitate at the idea of removing flying so late in the game. That said, WoW would have been better off without flying.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    There are ways around that. Anyway, why are ground mounts so slow? Do quests really have to make us travel over half the zone every damn day?

The current dailies are designed to be done with flyers. You can design and tune content that it "works" without flying.

Flying is both the "cause of" and "solution to" the way current quests work.
    I suppose if you look at it as a job, then yes you they do have to make you travel over half the zone every damn day. That's the game. That's part of what makes MMORPGs fun. Questing works as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    Which means that the content was design with flying in mind. If there was no flying, the content would have been designed with ground mounts in mind. More or less the amount of time to complete dailies might be the same or a little faster with flying mounts. Nothing game breaking IMO. I know that Archage is a Korean MMO and that Dragon's Prophet coming due to Sony Online Entertainment. I don't know how flying will work in these games, but they will have some kind of flying in them. MMOs can be easily design with flying in mind.
    The content is still tuned for ground mounts because flying mounts are still a luxury for newcomers. You can tell because there isn't a whole lot of difference between how dailies were handled in TBC vs how they are handled today.
    Last edited by Destruktion; 2013-01-07 at 06:41 AM.

hell to the no ! levelling and walking is fine but no point running around everywhere at max level

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    I suppose if you look at it as a job, then yes you they do have to make you travel over half the zone every damn day. That's the game. That's part of what makes MMORPGs fun. Questing works as intended.
    I actually rather adore the travel from Halfhill to the daily zones (be they Hozen or Virmen). You get to see a community hard at work, and if you're like me and like to take time to hop on a goat and ride around looking for dark soils, get some gems from random NPCs like the one who grumbles about his farming work (and the way he phrases it makes it sound like Blizzard ribbing the players who complained about the ranch during beta).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course everything is more convenient when you can fly everywhere, but everything is also more convenient if Blizzard were to hand out a billion gold to every player. It would, however, ruin the game - much like flying did to some extent.
    Bad comparison and you probably know it, there's a big difference between the two. Handing out gold wouldn't help in the long run anyway as the only thing you'd see was inflation and eveything on the AH going up in price. Flying does make the game more enjoyable, I for one do not want to be forced anymore to use a ground mount. Really dislike it, and was annoyed to see it in MoP removed until level 90.... That's also the main reason I am way behind on my alts... cannot be asked to run everywhere again. I have limited time to play and so if I can save a ton of time by flying to places instead of dragging myself through areas where the mobs don't offer a challenge for me, what's th epoint? It's just a waste of precious time then...

And of course a game in itslef is a waste of time, but I want to waste time in an efficient way that appeals to me. If you like ground travel, then by all means get off your flying mount and on your high horse, but do not force it upon others really...

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    It's not juts about exploring... it's about world pvp.
    Well remove flying on PVP servers then and let's see what happens. No need to remove it on PVE realms then... I iamgine a lot of people leaving the game or transferring from PVP to PVE realms...

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by - Kronos - View Post
    From an aesthetic point of view, I don't know who you're all kidding, but WoW is hardly beautiful. It has a disgustingly outdated graphics engines given the size of its playerbase and the revenue generated, and they keep crying about not having sufficient resources to fix nearly decade old player models, let alone scenery. I play games like Final Fantasy or Skyrim for beautiful scenic views, not World of Warcraft.
    Would it hurt to put in an occasional 'I think' or 'In my opinion' in those sentences, and not saying this stuff like they are facts....
    Because in my opinion WOW looks still great. I don't feel the graphcis are outdated, they create a great atmosphere, more than I ever felt in Skyrim...

From an enjoyment point of view, refer to Callei's post. I have played since Beta, I have done every continent without flying, I farmed for days to afford ground mounts and weeks to afford epic flying, and I have earned the right to traverse it how I see fit, and either for convenience or for my own pleasure, flying will always be superior in virtually every aspect.
    So true...

..., and the fact that you want Blizzard to redesign the "running" experience just for you is selfish and delusional.
    And this I can totally agree with...

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:44 AM ----------

I actually rather adore the travel from Halfhill to the daily zones (be they Hozen or Virmen). You get to see a community hard at work, and if you're like me and like to take time to hop on a goat and ride around looking for dark soils, get some gems from random NPCs like the one who grumbles about his farming work (and the way he phrases it makes it sound like Blizzard ribbing the players who complained about the ranch during beta).
    I enjoy the same, just on my flying mount. It's a great view to see the people working in the field. Also makes it way easier to spot the dark soils.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soo the General still ignores my simple question which I posted 2 times already. (He asked me to pose it again).

Page 24. The screenshots. I'M STILL WAITING!

Deleted
    Uh, people who are complaining about flying mounts, you do know you always can like... not use them? Take a breather, run around Azeroth on a ground mount. After all, there's a reason why people still ride horses in real life despite the fact that we have so many more efficient modes of travel; that being the pure and simple enjoyment of it.

Just leave my flyers alone. There was nothing more grueling in old WoW RP than not being able to actually have a proper flying mount in Azeroth. Otherwise I would have RPed a Wildhammer looooooong ago. Not to mention being severely inconvenienced if flying were suddenly removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say yes! Remove them.

If I can't have it, NOBODY CAN!!!!!

</dumb>

Real answer: we're starting 2013, and we already have a candidate for "stupidest suggestion of the year".
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Deleted
    No! I like flying mounts for several reasons:
    1. Especially as a cloth wearer it sucks to add every mob between quest locations.
    2. PvP is mainly lvl 90 pvp chars bashing questing low-lvls. How fun is that.
    3. Farming ore or herbs takes ages without a fast flying mount.
    4. afk without a flying mount = a free kill. Believe it or not - not everyone can devote oneself to WoW the whole time. Some of us do actually have a telefone/doorbell/gf/wife/kids/neighbours/...

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Removing flying ruins my RP as a dragonhawk rider.

Deleted
    I play for about 2 hours on weekdays. I spend 1,5 hours travelling the world to catch pets and battle the daily trainers and 0,5 hour to actually battle. I use as much teleportation as I can (engineer) and flightpaths when they are convenient and don't detour half the map. Most of the time I fly though. If you take that away, I wouldn't even be able to battle all trainers every day, because I would be travelling AT LEAST 3 hours instead of 1,5. Yeah, fun...

I really don't understand the sentiment of 'exploring' without flying mounts. You can do that as much as you want, but I'm not going to ride everywhere in the little time that I have to play. I'd rather play then travel. Someone mentioned an example of an epic battle on a bridge that you would miss when flying... Sounds nice, but not 50 times every time I need to go from A to B across that bridge, does it? I played in Classic, ever since week 2 and it was tedious. It took a long time before we got mounts and even longer before I could afford an epic one and everything just took a lot of time. It wasn't more fun, it wasn't more epic, it just took more time. I don't want to go back to that time, ever. You go walk/ride and I'll soar by over your head. Everyone happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I have a question, directly pointed at our General Turalyon:

Perspective of Crane

Perspective of Hippogryph

How exactly do I get "wonky and WCIII map editor" looking textures / models?

Images: Ultra TGA->PNG, resized to 50% for forum convenience.

Well, you've taken the second screenshot flying low. No one hardly ever does that unless moving between buildings in Stormwind, and then it's not such a beautiful picture any more. Then, all of a sudden, you have a minor swarm of mounts skipping and hopping and hovering and crawling around the market. The parable with the WCIII map editor becomes true once you go further up, which most people do when they travel between zones, across the continent, to the daily quest hub, to avoid PvP, etc.

Because you are trying to prove a point in taking your own screenshots, like I did in the OP; yes, the pic in OP has the player look down onto the trees. I could have had it look straight ahead, and maybe I should have - but the picture serves to illustrate just how disconnected you are from the world as you fly, and how little impact Blizzard has on level design up there.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 12:32 PM ----------

That's funny, because you thinking you have the right to tell me how I would most enjoy playing the game is nothing short of fucking insulting.

edit: Come to think of it, how the fuck is people AFKing in a city on their flying mount any different from six years of people AFKing in the city on their ground mount? Oh no, now their mounts make flapping noises! THE END IS SURELY NIGH!
    Because that's why you came to WoW in the first place, isn't it? Why don't you leave the game to people who do enjoy playing MMORPGs, rather than cling on to it when you don't appreciate what it really is? The same goes for everyone who's flaming or trolling the thread right now. You are clearly bored of the actual game and 90% of its content, and only want the few components of gameplay (LFD, LFR, etc.) that don't require you to take an active part in the world.

Myself I want the world to receive more attention, but I don't propose not being in it as a solution to that.

Not sure really, I would love to use ground mounts more often especially in the open world but then again I wouldn't like losing flying mounts either...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    Context man. Context.

People were whining about how dailies would be unbearable to do without flying. I'm just pointing out that current quests are designed to be "fun" assuming flying is available and that quests can be designed to be "fun" assuming no flying is available as well.

Flying is both the "cause of" and "solution to" the way current quests work.

Deleted
    to the op, you dont want to fly fine dont fly! dont try and dictate to the rest of us via petitions etc what we should be doing in game, esp as given the results of the poll are very biased in favour of the `nos` your views in no way represent those of the community.