Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help me with Mini-ITX gaming machine

Hey there, I'm seeing if a small PC build is right for me and just need some ideas on hardware for the machine. Portability is pretty important for me on this one, so I was thinking some kind of small LAN box or other micro-itx (or smaller?) type of build. My goal would be to play games like battlefield 3, skyrim, WoW, ultra on at least 1080p (i might spring for a 1440p ips monitor though).

Apart from thermal requirements in such a small space, I'd be fine with either a sandy or ivy bridge processor (would a dual core pentium be better?) and something like a 660ti or 670 GTX card. I -could- go with radeon but I've never owned an ATI card before.

I'm confident and have experience in building my own systems, so liquid cooling is also a possibility if needed. The machine wouldn't need to be overclocked much, if any. Thanks for any help with the setup.

I don't really have a price requirement, max is $2500 (before monitor and peripherals) but I'm sure I won't hit that ceiling. Remember, portability is important for me on this one. Thanks!

I also don't have a strong preference of amd vs intel

Deleted
    how was the previously linked prodigy project lacking? (linky)

I looked into that actually, and not sure of the pricing of that project. Also it may just be me, but it seems like kind of a bulky box. Is it not possible to get smaller or thinner?

That iMac is still on order, but seriously thinking of canceling it to build a very portable machine instead. Need to find one that catches my fancy with the right kind of insides though. (and performance)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Also it may just be me, but it seems like kind of a bulky box. Is it not possible to get smaller or thinner?
    It's watercoolable box with nice carry handles. Node 304 would be smaller option if you don't care about watercooling.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-01-05 at 08:16 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Silverstone, Coolermaster and Fractal have some nice little ITX cases.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fractal Node 304 if you want air cooling

BitFenix Prodigy if you want water cooling
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Ok I really like the design and aesthetics of the cooler master elite 120. I need help on a motherboard though. What's the difference in the "p" "h" and "z" suffixes on the ASUS mini itx boards?. This build would have a 3570k and overclocked to the low 4's. I just need 2 slots for ram, 1 PCI for the GPU, and built in wireless if available. I've only used ASUS boards in the past, but I don't pledge allegiance to them.

If I were to build an ITX PC of my own, I would get the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe.

I have the Asus P8z77-I in a white Bit Fenix Prodigy case with a i5k. One SSD primary, one HDD as secondary, 570 GTX HD, everything air cooled. Pure gaming machine, nicknamed Steambox. I also have the Asus itx h77 variant in an antec 300-150 with an ivy bridge i5 as my Windows 7 Media Center. Momentus XT 500 GB primary, 1 TB secondary. Records 4 streams, compresses down and publishes to my webserver.

Edit: Use the P8Z77-I if you can afford it. The extra hundred bucks buys some nice extras like bluetooth, wifi (handy to have) and an intel NIC. Not to mention the great power regulator on board (not that I OC, but it still keeps it super stable.). You lose 2 sata ports though. (4 on z77 itx, 6 on h77 itx)
    Last edited by spire3660; 2013-01-05 at 10:22 PM.

Deleted
    Ok I really like the design and aesthetics of the cooler master elite 120. I need help on a motherboard though. What's the difference in the "p" "h" and "z" suffixes on the ASUS mini itx boards?. This build would have a 3570k and overclocked to the low 4's. I just need 2 slots for ram, 1 PCI for the GPU, and built in wireless if available. I've only used ASUS boards in the past, but I don't pledge allegiance to them.
    suffixes are related to what features it offers, Z has the most and is also most free bios wise in regards to oc'ing (H/P chipsets are usually locked out of oc'ing )

What's the difference in the "p" "h" and "z" suffixes on the ASUS mini itx boards?
    Suffix of mini-ITX is -I on Asus boards. If you mean Z77/Z68/P67/H77/H67 those refer to the Intel chipset. You want Z77 with i5-3570K.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Ugh, the ASUS ones on newegg are almost 200 bucks. Is there a good z77 board with built in wireless and 1866 ram support that anyone know's of closer to $120-$150 USD? Like I said, I don't know which are the good brands and which to avoid.

EDIT thanks for the links shroudster, ill look into those now. Appreciate all the help in this thread, btw

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    gasp! (also mean since i actually just missed out on a 690 )

AsRock has an ITX board for about that price.

Deleted
    people can say many things but this would get pretty close to that sweclockers itx-monster.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14CS 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($212.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Storage: Western Digital Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($183.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4GB Video Card ($984.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Silverstone SG07-BW Mini ITX Desktop Case w/600W Power Supply ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1976.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-05 18:03 EST-0500)

within budget even!

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

unboxing of the Bitfenix it's a pretty damn good ITX case.

Now that is a sexy little gaming machine. I'll take off the HDD and stick a 680 or overclocked 670 instead I think though. Also, I'd like to use 1866 memory if that would be better. Total should be around $1400 I think

15+ Year Old Account
    1866 is pointless, stick with 1600

also, keep in mind that an overclocked / big card produces more heat. this is a small case, heat will affect it. i wouldnt buy a 680 anyways, and even a 670 is a pretty beefy card. radeon 7870, 7950, 7970 are also options
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right