Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Because the damage model is so borked that if they make an encounter that has enough health to survive a properly min/maxed endgame weapon, anything else won't even begin to scratch the boss's paintjob. And if they made it so underpowered stuff like my non-Prime Soma could damage the boss, someone with a riven'd and super-modded beast with 100x the DPS of my peashooter would vaporize the encounter in five seconds flat.
    Profit Taker is a way better design than the Ropalolyst/Exploiter Orb. Your stuff matters, a lot. And you feel this thing wants you dead, unlike the Exploiter Orb which is just doing nothing while you play basketball with the coolant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Any tips for a beginner? Just getting through the start phase (only level 5 or 6 Volt with Bow, kunai and katana).

Do weapon upgrades that say Rifle on them work on Bows too, is it like the slot name? Or does it only actually work on Rifles, because from what I saw I can equip them on Bows, just not sure that the bonuses are actually applied.
    If they can be applied, they work. There are some bow-exclusive ones, and ones that have a different effect based on if it's a bow or rifle. There are also mods for shotguns, which are different from rifles.

As for tips: Go through the star chart. Find out what you need to do to unlock the next planet and just work towards that. I'm lucky that I got in before they added the new relay system because some of the later ones are a bit annoying, but the early ones are fairly simple and something you'll do anyway.
    edit: Also, if you have discord nitro, you can get some decent late-ish game stuff from the market for free, might be worth checking out. Right now I believe you can get Saryn (Not sure if prime), some weapons and some skins
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-07-10 at 05:52 AM.

Any tips for a beginner? Just getting through the start phase (only level 5 or 6 Volt with Bow, kunai and katana).

Do weapon upgrades that say Rifle on them work on Bows too, is it like the slot name? Or does it only actually work on Rifles, because from what I saw I can equip them on Bows, just not sure that the bonuses are actually applied.
    If you see the mod in the list, then the bonus are applied.

"Rifle" mods apply to Rifles, Bows and Crossbows. There are a few "Bow"-specific mods.

The usual recommendation for a beginner is simply to work on progressing through the starchart, unlock as many planets as possible and progress through the story. Don't try to grind for any specific material, that would be a waste of time. Try to check the Market for Weapon's blueprints that are available for Credits, Paris and Kunai will very quickly hit their limits and that will toughen your game experience quite fast.

When you'll start having trouble killing enemies, you'll have to look into your modding. All enemies have weaknesses depending on their armor type/life/shield, and all damage types (physical/elemental) have specific strengthes/weaknesses against types/enemies.

If you're still using the MK1 version of weapons you got at the start you should get rid of them (sell them for credits) once you finish leveling them and get the normal version of them from the market.

Later on when you're working on mastery you will want to go back and get all the MK1 weapons you didn't get. You'll want to level them since they count towards mastery the same as any other weapon but afterwards you will want to sell them since they are inferior weapons across the board and a waste of a weapon slot.

If you buy or trade for platinum use it to buy weapon and frame slots. Those are an absolute necessity. Slots can be unlocked in different ways, but those are usually time locked in some way. Some are available in Nightwave but I doubt you can make much progress there as a beginner. Another way to get them is through promotions, like if you had watched the Tennocon stream with a Twitch account linked to your Warframe account (make sure to link that as Warframe does a lot of promotions through Twitch) you would have gotten Nekros Prime and the slot he takes up for free. There's also the anniversary event (and similar events) that give out special weapons and they come with free slots.

Also you should join a clan. Don't worry too much about it, most Warframe clans don't require you to do much of anything. I have barely talked with mine the entire time I've been playing the game. But the reason you should join a clan is because the clan dojo has research labs where they unlocks blueprints for more weapons and frames and other stuff. You may not want those at the start (although I HIGHLY recommend you get the guandao from the tenno research lab) but you will want them eventually.

General tips

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Q: How does progression work?
    Spoiler: 
    First of all, Warframe handles it's progression and itemization differently from your average RPG. There are only five equippable items in this game: a Warframe (your class), a primary weapon (rifle/bow/shotgun/rocket launcher/etc), a secondary weapon (handgun/slingshot/throwing knives/etc), a melee weapon, and a companion (aka a pet). All five can be leveled up to a cap of level 30, but leveling up does not increase their stats. Instead, leveling up increasing the energy on an item, allowing you to slot more mods and more powerful mods on to an item.

Mods change the attributes of an item (ie, slash damage, freeze damage, increased fire rate, etc) or add new effects (arrows detonate upon impact, picking up health orbs grant armor, resurrecting dead enemies causes them to drop loot twice, etc). Think of it like slotting gems into a piece of gear in WoW, but you can slot eight of them into a piece of equipment. Warframes have two additional slots, for a total of 10. Once you reach level 30, an item will have 30 modding energy with which to use, which isn't enough to throw on all of the mods you want. You can use crafted items called an Orokin Reactor (for Warframes) or an Orokin Catalyst (for weapons and companions) to double the mod energy to sixty, but that still won't be enough. That's where Forma comes in, a crafted item that resets the level of equipment back to zero, but changes a mod slot's polarity. A mod of the same polarity (ie symbol) as the slot it is fitted into will only cost half of the mod energy. With enough forma (usually 2 or 3), you will be able to fit all of the mods you want onto a piece of equipment.

In this sense, Warframe is not a treadmill for the next piece of equipment that is superior to what you have, but instead improving the equipment you already have so that it can fit the effects that will support the playstyle you want. As a result, there is very little (if at all) P2W elements here. Yes, you can buy equipment, but no piece of equipment is strictly superior to another; it's just has a different balance of attributes and abilities, and must be leveled up from the beginning.

Finally, there's an level called Master Rank, abbreviated as MR. This is representative of how many items you have leveled up. It can only be raised by leveling up an item to level 30 for the first time (repeated levels up using Forma don't count), and from filling out the star map. MR has little functional purpose, only serving to make sure that you don't tackle content like the final story quests before you're ready, and restricting access to a few items. Otherwise, it's pretty much prestige status.

Q: Where do I go from here?
    Spoiler: 
    Each time you clear a mission node for the first time, you unlock the adjacent nodes AND get MR exp, so go ahead and continue clearing.

First off, get to MR 5 as quickly as possible and join a syndicate (aka, Warframe's reputation factions, located at the relays). Since each syndicate is either an ally or an enemy of another syndicate, you can only join up to three (all three on the left side of the relay - New Loka, Red Veil, Pernin Sequence - or all three on the right side - Arbiters of Hexis, Cephalon Suda, Steel Meridian). Equip the sigil of the syndicate you want to get rep with, and you will gain rep while playing. You can get more rep by playing the syndicate missions (a new tab will appear on your Star Chart mission select screen). I also recommend you join Cephalon Simaris' syndicate (which is not apart of the faction war) on the second floor of the relays for his stuff too.

Second, I'm going to assume that you still are using one of the three starter frames. You will want to go farm the Jackal boss on Venus for Rhino parts, and assemble Rhino. Rhino is one of the tankiest 'frames ingame and very easy to understand and use.

You will ultimately craft all of your Warframes. How you acquire the parts is another things.

1. Obtain the three parts from a planetary boss. This is how you will acquire most of the frames.
    2. Buy the parts from your Clan's lab with regular credits.
    3. Obtain the parts from a particular mission droptable (ie, Ivara parts from high level spy missions, or Ash from a certain rare grineer mob).
    4. Farm Prime parts from Void Fissures.
    5. Complete a quest.

Get a companion ASAP. Either build and equip the Taxon you get from finishing Venus, or do the Howl of the Kubrow quest, get an egg from Kubrow dens on Earth, and breed a Kubrow to fight with. Kubrows/Kavats are better than sentinels (and have far more utility), but they require maintenance.

Has anyone here ever used http://warframe-builder.com/ before?

I'm a little confused by the riven editor since it has a field for crit multiplier instead of crit damage. Would a riven that provides +101.6% crit damage be a +1.016 crit multiplier?

Actually, I can just link to the build... My soma prime with riven.

Good build? Bad? I am certain the crit multiplier on my riven is entered wrong because in game the crit multiplier for the weapon shows as 9.6x whereas the builder shows it as 6.6x.
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2019-07-12 at 02:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

I'm a little confused by the riven editor since it has a field for crit multiplier instead of crit damage. Would a riven that provides +101.6% crit damage be a +1.016 crit multiplier?

Good build? Bad? I am certain the crit multiplier on my riven is entered wrong because in game the crit multiplier for the weapon shows as 9.6x whereas the builder shows it as 6.6x.
    Could always just take a picture in-game
    But to answer your question: No guaranteed red crits = garbage
    jk it looks fine

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Any one else have warframe disappear off there computer? Me and a friend both had it up and vanish in the last three days and had to redownload.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Any one else have warframe disappear off there computer? Me and a friend both had it up and vanish in the last three days and had to redownload.
    Mine has gone missing from time to time without as well. Though I do not lay regularly so I do not keep track of how much it happens. But yea, whenever I got the urge to play I had to redownload as well,

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    Mine has gone missing from time to time without as well. Though I do not lay regularly so I do not keep track of how much it happens. But yea, whenever I got the urge to play I had to redownload as well,
    Seems like a really odd thing to happen but good to know it’s not just us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something I have been wondering. So I downloaded Warframe using Steam. If a friend downloaded it directly from the Warframe site would we still be able to group up or does the source of the download not matter? I think I know the answer to this question but I just wanted to make sure. Then also with me having it downloaded on Steam could I play on the same account/same character if I download it to my PS4?

On another note I just started playing this game again and my god I don't know why I stopped playing it years ago. I'm having so much fun this time around. I don't know if they improved the gameplay over the years or maybe it's just me. I got the urge to play it again after watching that Tennocon 2019 gameplay of the new expansion coming out, looked awesome. The open worlds look amazing too. I remember when I first started playing it felt more like a grindy third person shooter dungeon crawler. Now it's like a full fledged game with a story and everything. Not to mention the different frames, weapons, and accessories look awesome. Very creative and unique designs.

This F2P game blows Destiny and Anthem right out of the water. Might not be on the same levels of quality but in terms of how fun it is it's such a superior game in my opinion. This is coming from someone who never really cared for F2P online only games. This is the only one of it's kind that was so good I actually spent money on it because I felt the developers deserved it.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2019-07-12 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Something I have been wondering. So I downloaded Warframe using Steam. If a friend downloaded it directly from the Warframe site would we still be able to group up or does the source of the download not matter? I think I know the answer to this question but I just wanted to make sure. Then also with me having it downloaded on Steam could I play on the same account/same character if I download it to my PS4?
    PC players can play with PC Players, no matter whether it's Steam or direct Warframe launcher.
    There is no cross-platform login on Warframe. You'd need a totally different account to play on PS4 (they're not at the same update number, and Sony/Microsoft never allowed it to happen anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

I'd get rid of Vigilante Armaments for one juicy Argon Scope or Bladed Rounds tbh.
    Never used the Riven Editor on Warframe-builder so can't help you on the critical damage though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally decided to give it a shot (PS4) and oh boy haven't seen such a noob unfriendly game ever .
    Complicated as fuck, even new player guides are un-ending walls of texts.

I haven't even managed to changed my weapons yet because i have no idea what i'm doing (Rank 10)
    I'm a bit hooked though. i Want to be a Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Finally decided to give it a shot (PS4) and oh boy haven't seen such a noob unfriendly game ever .
    Complicated as fuck, even new player guides are un-ending walls of texts.

I haven't even managed to changed my weapons yet because i have no idea what i'm doing (Rank 10)
    I'm a bit hooked though. i Want to be a Rhino
    The core gameplay loop is simple enough: playing through levels -> using mats to craft new equipment to level up through playing through levels -> repeat ad infinitum.

The game's actually really simple, but the process of unlocking all of the systems that make it up is unnecessarily convoluted. You have to unlock core features that facilitate that gameplay loop over many hours of play when you've already mastered all of the systems given to you long before you get the next feature.

For example, you can't build your second Warframe, Rhino, until you reach the boss of Venus. To reach him, you have to go all the way through Mercury and all the way through Venus, some twenty or so missions. Mercury and Venus are trivially easy even with unleveled gear (really, you can jump into almost any mission in the Star Chart with fresh gear and you'll be fine). You'll have capped your Warframe by the end of Mercury but they won't let you try a new playstyle for another hour or two of boring, pathetically easy missions. IMO, you should've been able to begin working on Rhino as soon as you reached the end of Mercury.

For Rhino, just farm the Jackal - the boss of Venus - a few times. You need blueprint for the Rhino helmet, the chassis, and the systems. Craft those in the foundry. Buy the Rhino blueprint from the market using credits. Once your helmet, chassis, and systems are done, craft Rhino. Three days later (yeah, not a fan of the artificial timegating either), out pops your new Warframe.

That is the first way new Warframes are acquired: farming blueprints from a boss (each planetary boss drops Warframe blueprints) or a specific mission (spy missions for Ivara), crafting those parts, then crafting the Warframe.

(Some warframe blueprints like Zephyr can be just straight up bought from a clan dojo - no farming required).

The second way is to do a quest, in which you obtain the blueprints for the Warframe over the course of the quest. For example, if you want the warframe Chroma, you must do the quest "The New Strange" (which requires you do the quest "Stolen Dreams").

There's a good number of frames available.
    To get "strong" youll want to upgrade your mastery, it increases your minimum weapon level (when starting a new weapon), and adds to your daily cap for reputation.

Youll want to get to venus and spend a little time doing bounties for fortuna every day. Once you get to level 5 with that city, such a lovely quest and perk will unlock. Allowing your to use your archgun in any mission. And, well as soon as you step outside you get a k-drive, which helps your outworld area speed.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    There's a good number of frames available.
    To get "strong" youll want to upgrade your mastery, it increases your minimum weapon level (when starting a new weapon), and adds to your daily cap for reputation.

Youll want to get to venus and spend a little time doing bounties for fortuna every day. Once you get to level 5 with that city, such a lovely quest and perk will unlock. Allowing your to use your archgun in any mission. And, well as soon as you step outside you get a k-drive, which helps your outworld area speed.
    The open world levels (Fortuna on Venus, Plains of Eidolon on Earth) aren't really essential to the core gameplay loop. Many of the easy to obtain rewards for Fortuna/Plains are only useful in those zones, and you'll be spending on a fraction of your overall play time there. No one really bothers with Archwing equipment anyways. It's nice to mess around in for sure (particularly fishing and hijacking vehicles). I always viewed Fortuna/Plains as a fun side zone and time sink to come back to after you've done pretty much everything else.

However, if you want to be making progress, you'd be better off continuing through the star chart and reaching Uranus, scanning an Occulyst, and starting the main cinematic questline. Most of Warframe's big time sink systems are unlocked by progression through the main questline, and many of the most interesting rewards from the open world levels of Fortuna/Plains are rewards for those systems. You can't even walk into a certain shop on the Plains without sufficient progression in the main questline. You can't even start obtaining a certain endgame currency until sufficient progression through the questline, and so on.

the bounties do give relics for vaulted warframes though. Which can (and has recently) include rhino prime

10+ Year Old Account
    Are Arbitrations worth it?

I only charted unlock lock all of the Void and that farming spot on Sedna.

Sorties are no problem with my armory of frames and weapons.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No one really bothers with Archwing equipment anyways. It's nice to mess around in for sure (particularly fishing and hijacking vehicles).
    Yeah I think I'm the only person I've ever seen use archwing weapons which is strange because with my Fluctus I can use a a lvl 1 char and weapons and have the majority of the damage done on lvl 30+ missions. I was doing a high lvl survival once solo and had kept my ammo refilled before I'd get halfway through the mag was so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Are Arbitrations worth it?

I only charted unlock lock all of the Void and that farming spot on Sedna.

Sorties are no problem with my armory of frames and weapons.
    Adaptation, one of the mods that is a possible reward, is kind of nice for making tanky characters even more tanky. Not really all that necessary, though. Likewise, there's the Power Donation aura mod you can get with Vitus essences to make a Speedva even more effective but, once again, not a must have in my opinion.

It can also be an okay-ish way to farm endo, since you're more than likely to walk out with a ton of Ayatan sculptures.

Otherwise, I guess it depends on if you care about any of the cosmetics rewards you can get.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"