Thread: MMO Gore?

MMO Gore?

In Skyrim you can decapitate someone. Are there any MMOs out there right now, or being developed, where combat feels a lot more realistic?

For example, if you're a melee user, you can cut off people's hands to disarm, legs to... well, lol. And heads to kill them.
    Ranged, arrow in the knee for movement slow, arrow in the heart for instant kill, arrow in the brain for instant kill etc.
    If you're a Spellcaster, you can turn someone to ash with a well-timed Lightning combo or something, or likewise with some Fire spells.

As a bonus, wouldn't it be cool if they added physics into some MMOs? If you're using a water spell, you can crash it into an enemy and he goes flying into some rocks, shattering his skull and dying instantly.

Deleted
    i think age of conan had some gore in it, but im not too sure.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 09:38 PM ----------

would love it if execute on my warrior actually chopper their head off :<

Not realy sure why a MMO would need gore as a selling point ( see AoC ) and i realy dont think stuff like sugested above works in *large* scale combat

Deleted
    i believe that in the uncut version of Age of Conan (depends on your country if it is uncut) you can cut off enemies heads ... but it's not something you can control, it will happen as kind of finisher...

but that's pretty much it...

MMOs would be pretty lame if you could kill raid bosses instantly by using some kind of "trick" ... or gimmick if you want to call it that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    MMOs would be pretty lame if you could kill raid bosses instantly by using some kind of "trick" ... or gimmick if you want to call it that.
    True, I didn't have them in mind when making my post. I was kind of just thinking, MMOs have all of these keybinds and abilities, instead of that why not create effects based on where you hit? Seems like a cool idea IMO. Probably been done before, I haven't played the most recent MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i think age of conan had some gore in it, but im not too sure.

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 09:38 PM ----------

would love it if execute on my warrior actually chopper their head off :<
    AOC had more than just gore.

You could chop someones arms off and then their head.
    And then piss on their body.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Not realy sure why a MMO would need gore as a selling point ( see AoC )
    I've played off and on since launch, and gore was never really a selling point. A gritty, violent and unforgiving world, yes, but gore specifically, no.

That being said, there is a small chance to perform a fatality with a killing blow in Age of Conan. If you play a melee class, it can often lead to decapitations. But casters get some pretty fun fatalities. Priests of Mitra can exorcise their enemies as a fatality. Necromancers can bring their enemies to their knees with their arms shackled above them as their soul violently exits their bodies. Depending on your class, especially Necromancer and Demonologist, fatalities are different depending on the school of magic (frost fatalities are different from death fatalities for Necros and fire fatalities are different from lightning fatalities for Demos).

If memory serves me right, decapitations often happen as fatalities for melee who use two-handed weapons (Barbarians, Conquerors, possibly Tempest-specced Guardians, maybe Bear Shaman, but I'm pretty sure even though Heralds of Xotli use two-handed swords, their fatalities involve burning their foes with their demonic magic). Though ripping someone's throat out as an Assassin can be entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    I'd love to see more gore in MMO's, gore makes combat feel more rewarding and really brings you into the thick of it, like you said, skyrim is great when you perform a successful decapitation, personally I would not complain if I saw more gore in MMO's, but there are problems.

First of all implementation, the problem with alot of these decapitations and things, is the animations, imagine you are on WoW, and when you hit execute on your warrior, it decapitates the enemy, well how is that going to work? the blade would almost never be in the right position to cleave a head off the shouders in most scenarios, it would need a massive rework of animations, and the only way I can think to make it possible, is to take control away from the player while the action is being performed, this could cause a multitude of complaints amongst MMO gamers.

Secondly, marketing, MMO's need to appeal to the largest audience possible, and adding gore would limit that audience by a fair cut, sure you can add a gore filter, but I'm pretty sure the ratings would have to take the gore into account, and as a result you end up losing a portion of your market.
    Last edited by mmoc2aff718493; 2013-01-05 at 10:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    True, I didn't have them in mind when making my post. I was kind of just thinking, MMOs have all of these keybinds and abilities, instead of that why not create effects based on where you hit? Seems like a cool idea IMO. Probably been done before, I haven't played the most recent MMOs.

well ... let's wait for Elder Scrolls online ...
    in an early documentary video i saw they said something about having only about 6 active attacks, additional to left and right mouse button click (which is hit and block) ...
    they also said that their monster AI would try to work together ... so if you - just an example - have 2 mobs, one is able to pour out oil and the other is able to cast fire spells, the latter one will try to ignite the oil spilled by the first ...

i'm looking forward to this game.

concerning your "where you hit" ... Tera Online has a different targeting system, instead of click on a target to set your focus on it you have to keep the mob in a crosshair and have the right distance to it to hit it properly.