Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Making gold w/o gathering professions nearly impossible?

I feel like in past expansions there were mats you could farm and sell on the AH to make some gold. However now I'm at a loss for ways to make gold with enchanting/engineering. I know I could just drop one of the two to picking up a gathering prof but I don't really want to do that . Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I've never been a fan of AH flipping either. IDK why it just bores me :/.

Deleted
    buy materials -> craft something (i.e. enchant scroll) -> put it on the ah -> collect gold from mailbox -> profit?

If it's not profit for you, you're doing something essentially wrong. If enchanting mats are more expensive than the enchant itself on your realm, then buy off greens/blues from the ah, disenchant them, and sell the mats = profit.

In case this isn't the problem, you either sell too cheap, get undercut too often or don't sell the enchants people are generally interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
    buy materials -> craft something (i.e. enchant scroll) -> put it on the ah -> collect gold from mailbox -> profit?

If it's not profit for you, you're doing something essentially wrong. If enchanting mats are more expensive than the enchant itself on your realm, then buy off greens/blues from the ah, disenchant them, and sell the mats = profit.

In case this isn't the problem, you either sell too cheap, get undercut too often or don't sell the enchants people are generally interested in.
    On my realm the popular enchants can net you about 5-10g profit per not including the AH cut. I don't see that being very profitable, doing dailies would give more gold :/

To me, gathering professions are the absolute worst way of making money. I'd much rather profit off those that can stand the monotonous task of farming materials.

the only real way i've found to make money with enchanting is to make the cheapest pieces of the 450 cloth pvp set and disenchanting them. depends on the relative prices of cloth and shards on your realm.

Deleted
    Enchanting makes me a ton of gold. Disenchant cheap greens (almost all ilevels) and sell mats. Also I farm a lot of old content for items to disenchant.

As far as farming mats out in the world though.. is there anything that you can do that doesn't require a gathering prof?

Quote Originally Posted by Vejovis View Post
    Enchanting makes me a ton of gold. Disenchant cheap greens (almost all ilevels) and sell mats. Also I farm a lot of old content for items to disenchant.
    This seems like a viable idea. I'll have to try to farm some old enchanting mats. Can't be many people doing that these days.
    Last edited by barrsftw; 2013-01-05 at 11:23 PM.

Deleted
    Gathering professions are only a poor way of making money because of botters and gold sellers who cheat their way to $.
    At the beginning of an expansion then they are a good way of making money.
    Depending on your server they cna still be good.

Sometimes doing an hours farming can be ok if you have the mind to. In olden days I ysed to farm for several hours at an end, just as other people used to grind mobs and rep.

In terms of the op then identify what you can sell at a profit. Luisa really said it, that the reason you cant make money is becayse you are selling the worng thing or you are letting yourself be undercut. Means no sales and no gold.

Enchanting you shoul be able to make money off following Luisas advice, but its also determined by your competition and amount of demand. Ynfortunately these days a lot of ah selling is boring and requires you to put time in. The greater variety of otems you sell what people wnat at the right price will mean more sales and gold. Compare that with other ways of making gold . Do the one thats the most profitable. Its all pretty straightforward. Your danger is your competitors are more experienced and prepared to put more effort in than you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Check old expansions cloth, they still sell well on my server.

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    On my realm the popular enchants can net you about 5-10g profit per not including the AH cut. I don't see that being very profitable, doing dailies would give more gold :/
    You can always (I know you hate it) flip some. Like a few enchants, wait until the AH stock is low and buy it all up and repost it, and if you can get it up 50-60g (now you're looking at almost 100g per enchant) and try to control it there, you can start to make a profit. Also, gathering profs thanks to bots are a bad means of making money. Look into the others' suggestions like farming old mats, or old cloths, or even if you can only make 10g per enchant, do it 100 times a day/week or whatever and boom.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making money is not impossible, it's just incredibly boring.

Like other "service" professions, you have to canvas the market and be aware of what's Hot and what's Not at the moment. This stuff trends and shifts frequently. You also have to get in on the tedious undercutting game.

Chant scrolls/mats are similar to Scrip stuff/Glyphs in this regard, but usually lower volume and higher price.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2013-01-06 at 01:54 AM.

Ive made 80k in the last week buying Sha Crystals and selling the enchants....you need gold to make money and it depends on the realm economy.

Mug'Thol has a great economy currently

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I farm ore when price's are high and buy when they're low, seem to make a pretty decent profit either way.

I've made over 7 million gold in the past 10 months without any gathering professions. Totally doable!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvine View Post
    I've made over 7 million gold in the past 10 months without any gathering professions. Totally doable!
    But the amount of gold you can make is very server dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    But the amount of gold you can make is very server dependent.
    Of course, anything that depends on the amount of players is server dependent. Not saying it isn't possible still, just may take longer than other servers.

One thing about Low vs High population servers is that on a High pop server you're going for more quantity over quality. As for low pop servers you're looking at the quality, which is this case would be the gold amount for an item.

High = Lower Prices, More Sales
    Low = Less Sales, Higher Prices

So in the end ideally it should be pretty equal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvine View Post
    Of course, anything that depends on the amount of players is server dependent. Not saying it isn't possible still, just may take longer than other servers.

One thing about Low vs High population servers is that on a High pop server you're going for more quantity over quality. As for low pop servers you're looking at the quality, which is this case would be the gold amount for an item.

High = Lower Prices, More Sales
    Low = Less Sales, Higher Prices

So in the end ideally it should be pretty equal.
    It doesnt work out pretty equal though having been on all 3 sorts of servers. Its a complicated mix. Competition, bits and the amount of raiding guilds and ofc how Blizz has organised professions are all things to consider. I find older servers tend to have more money as well plys more min maxers.

Gathering professions is probably one of the worse ways to make money... if you are enchanting run random heroics and if no one needs an item then need it and d.e. it. or sell your sha crystal c.d.

You dont have to gather when you can just farm them everyday at your tiller's farm. I farm everyday and get about 300-500g a day from it

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    I feel like in past expansions there were mats you could farm and sell on the AH to make some gold. However now I'm at a loss for ways to make gold with enchanting/engineering. I know I could just drop one of the two to picking up a gathering prof but I don't really want to do that . Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I've never been a fan of AH flipping either. IDK why it just bores me :/.
    Enchanting - daily Sha Crystal cooldown or offer to disenchant stuff for others at a fee.

Engineering - not a profession to make money with as it's always been the gimmicky fun profession