Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If you know what you are doing, you don't need gathering professions at all, you can make more money by buying stuff and selling it rather than spending lots of time farming and not really making all that much money. Gathering professions are great at the beginning of an expansion or if you really don't have all that much money. After that, they are a waste of time. The only farming that makes sense for the time you put into it is farming hebs or motes at the Tiller farm, because it's 5 minutes or less for 500-1,000 gold depending on your luck/server.

As for your two crafting professions, well, engineering isn't a very good money maker, never really has been. Enchanting can be very profitable. I made like a 1,000 gold off a 20g enchant in the AH because there were none in there and I was more or less being a twit and didn't expect it to sell, but people are lazy.

Deleted
    whether or not uoi can make money from athering depends very mych on the levels of supply and demand including how many botts there are serving the marlet. You cant really compete with a botter becayse they dont get bored etc. Its always a good thing to have gatherers at hand because then you arent tied to the ah and if theres a break in supply rather than pay high prices you cna just go and gather a bit yourself. If you are an efficient gatherer then its still an option where you cna make decent money.

People shoi; bear in mind differing perceptions of making money from 1k-500k a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    Check old expansions cloth, they still sell well on my server.
    and dust / ess, shattering crystals you get from pit of saron is lovely, and chances at hilt
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure you can find ways to make coin with Enchanting, OP. It does depend on the server and whatever competition it has. I tend aim at professions that will make me gold the fastest, even though making gold takes time. Study your economy and auction house. Find a market that suits you - especially Enchanting.

IMO the best toon to have a gathering prof. on is one that you typical get stuck in q's ...so like on my dps when im in LFD or LFR q's instead of afking or whatever I just fly around and farm so I make money while I wait ..in a 20-30 min que I can make typically 1-300 gold which I know is not much but better then nothing you get being afk in a city

My Herber/Miner gatherer gets to come out of the barn once per expansion to get leveled up, and then he gets put back into the barn until the next expansion. I've tried to farm, really, and I last about 15 minutes before porting back to town and pillaging the AH. If I'm going to set aside time for just making money, sitting in an AH with a portable bank and an anvil at hand will be far more productive than flying around picking leaves for 1g apiece.

The closest thing I have to a farmer now are Enchanter/Tailors for running old raids and instances while waiting for LFD/LFR queues. AoE looting is enough to make you squeal sometimes.

Shit, it takes 70 bars to make a full 450 ilvl pvp plate set....buy 70 bars for 300g, tip a BS 300g to make the set, and sell all 8 items for over 500g a piece (numbers from my server) that's 600g in, 4k out. And you can do it with no professions.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
    buy materials -> craft something (i.e. enchant scroll) -> put it on the ah -> collect gold from mailbox -> profit?
    You are not at the peak of your gold potential if you buy the mats directly of the AH instead of running an ore shuffle as an example. You will get more mats for less gold if you buy ghost iron ore, which you prospect and make necklaces and rings for DE with the green gems you get, transmute into meta gems or cut the blue ones.

Deleted
    disenchant my older raid gear when i get new, and i get blood spirits which sells for like 1.8k each on my realm, so i make decent gold once in a while.

To my gathering professions is the worst gold making professions in game. They are usually very good the first weeks or month of a new expansion but after that things just sell to cheap for it to be worth the farming time. And actually this expansion it required very few mats combine with nodes everywhere that the prices were pretty low from the beginning.

During this expansion I have spent a lot less time to make gold then I did the previous one, it has just been so much content in game for me to have time for any serious gold making. Still I have manage to make about 800-900K gold so far this expansion, and that's without farming, just buying the stuff I need for my professions from the AH.

I make about 3k profit every 2-3 days from tailoring crafting the robes. Cloth is cheap to buy and with all the excess honor I buy motes/spirits so it speeds up the imperial silk. It doesn't sound like much but it all adds up.
    Inscription you still make a nice profit on the cards if you buy the herbs on AH. I try to herb when I can but usually I cbf.

You gotta spend money to earn money. I remember sitting at max 2k in wrath, borrowed 20k from a rich friend.

Spent 1 month getting alchemy, jc and enchanting to full skill.

Then leveled mining, spent maybe 1 week STRAIGHT farming in sholazar on an empty server starting from lvl 1 leveling to 80 mostly by mining. Filled my bank with mining bags + my own bags.

(my server back then was outland EU which was huge and infested with bots so I had to roll on a new server)

Migrated back with over 2k stacks of ore, prospected everything and made gems/enchants/transmutes etc... netted me 400k gold. I payed my friend back and began the shuffle. Making me the rich fucker I am today.

All you need is perseverance and the will to actually do it, then it will come.

made close to 1.5 mil during Cata with JC/Enchanting. Loved having tons of bots on my server. Buy elementium ore stacks by the 100s for only 15g each. Prospect everything. Cut the rare orange, red, and purple gems into most popular ones used. Rest I just vendored like all yellow, blue, and green rare gems. Then took all my green gems and crafted rings and those fist weapons and DE'd everything. Sold all mats never bothered with scrolls. Post gems and mats on AH. Wake up next day with 12-15k and 20k if a raid reset or sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    made close to 1.5 mil during Cata with JC/Enchanting. Loved having tons of bots on my server. Buy elementium ore stacks by the 100s for only 15g each. Prospect everything. Cut the rare orange, red, and purple gems into most popular ones used. Rest I just vendored like all yellow, blue, and green rare gems. Then took all my green gems and crafted rings and those fist weapons and DE'd everything. Sold all mats never bothered with scrolls. Post gems and mats on AH. Wake up next day with 12-15k and 20k if a raid reset or sunday.
    Problem is: it's not cata, and while still effective, the shuffle is slightly different now.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    You are not at the peak of your gold potential if you buy the mats directly of the AH instead of running an ore shuffle as an example. You will get more mats for less gold if you buy ghost iron ore, which you prospect and make necklaces and rings for DE with the green gems you get, transmute into meta gems or cut the blue ones.

This is catch 22 I feel.

By buying mats direct you shortchange yourself slightly but the time you same can be truly immense.

Deleted
    I hadn't farmed since Wotlk, i really hate farming and think my time is better spent working the ah, but then i killed one of those new pandaren rares i came by while lvl'ing my druid and those new gathering gloves dropped (can't remember the name but they decrease your mining/herb picking time), and i thought it was meant to be, so when I reached lvl 90 I bought the fastest flying and deleted my low lvl enchanting and started herbing.

Never have I seen anything quite like it, no herb was unreachable you barely have to stop and mobs around you don't even notice you are there before you fly off again. I was gathering for darkmoon cards and can literally pick flowers to a value of 10k per hour spent farming (besides the random drop of golden lotus from all nodes that i treat as pure profit, I turn the rest of the herbs into ink)

Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    Problem is: it's not cata, and while still effective, the shuffle is slightly different now.
    no problems at all. i still have 700k left over i dont even bother with gold anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    no problems at all. i still have 700k left over i dont even bother with gold anymore
    Please don't take offence, but you are browsing/posting in essentially a gold making sub-forum.

Leatherworking (leg armor enchants + cloaks), alchemy (potions), enchanting (jadespirit/dancing steel/15agi on weapon, 4stats on chest/bracer enchants), JC (wotlk pvp gems, current most popular crafts). I just wish there were fewer bots on Enchanting and JC field, on alchemy and LW I'd say I dont even have to camp AH to sell my stuff unlike with first 2 mentioned proffs (getting undercut by 2-3 lvl1 people in darnassus/exodar in a matter of seconds).

Two words:

Tradeskill Master

Download this, install it, and learn to use it.. It will help you make tons of gold! (Big learning curve though)