View Poll Results: What design for Kill Shot would you prefer?

Voters
232. This poll is closed
  • How it is now. Medium damage, free, cooldown, just another button.

48 20.69%
  • Execute-style. High damage, costly, no CD, dominates rotation sub-20.

104 44.83%
  • Neither of these. I'd prefer a different solution.

22 9.48%
  • I am a confused Paladin. Why am I here? How do I get to my forum? Help!

27 11.64%
  • I am Greg Street! I hereby ban you from game design forever.

31 13.36%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Everytime you cast Kill Shot kill shot does X% weapon dmg and if you are BM your pet dmg increases by X% per shot and if you are SV it refreshes your Serpeant Sting and increases the peroidic dmg by X% and if you are MM wild quiver dmg is increased by X% and the proc rate is increased. it would keep the rotations the same but increase the dmg of the hunter during execute phases.

personally i think the best solution would be having it wotlk-style:
    hits like a truck(dmg = 2x current ks minus 1 arcane shot, cuz of one more gcd), but has a cd and does not reset it.

(hated the cd reset mechanic the very first time i heard of it and i knew it would cause a shitload of issues)

why so?
    our current dps is okay-ish and we don't need massive buffs (especially for the execute phase), but the current model of killshot bugs out a lot so we don't even recieve the second charge and the damage of one single ks is meh, but that of 2 is fine as an execute.

How about instead of a shot, it's a CD boost? We'll call it Kill Switch. Can only be used when opponent is below 20% health (and has a 60 second cooldown), buffs all damage by X% for Y seconds. Gives Hunters a stronger burst in PVE without screwing with PVP too much (I'm sure some will disagree with me here).

We'll also get rid of Readiness to prevent manipulation.

... I'm not in love with this idea, frankly, but I'll throw it out there anyway
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    How about instead of a shot, it's a CD boost? We'll call it Kill Switch. Can only be used when opponent is below 20% health (and has a 60 second cooldown), buffs all damage by X% for Y seconds. Gives Hunters a stronger burst in PVE without screwing with PVP too much (I'm sure some will disagree with me here).

We'll also get rid of Readiness to prevent manipulation.

... I'm not in love with this idea, frankly, but I'll throw it out there anyway
    this wont work for pvp as the dmg boost is either too short to be a relevant execute-ish ability and drops off after just a few shots, or the buff lasts too long like when the enemy is healed back up to over 20% hp and you still fire at him with higher than the intended dmg.

if it was passive like the frost dk ability from wotlk/cata (merciless combat) where the dmg of certain abilities was boosted as long as the target is below a certain percentage and dropped off instantly when the target is back above that percentage i could see it happening, but still not being a good solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Well personally that sounds like Inquisition, which makes a part of my soul instantly die inside, and also is not really the sort of fun "Press A → Explode B → Laugh maniacally" sort of ability I'm looking for from an Execute. I'm a visceral, impatient type and when I press something I want to see thick, juicy, exciting results immediately please me.

Also why I was very excited for Soul Reaper and then hated it, because I pressed my Execute and then got no visceral feedback at all. Then the target just sort of got around to exploding once I had forgotten about it. Unsatisfying. Spongy.

Anyway not trying to be mean, it's reasonable as anything else from an on-paper perspective, but absolutely not the sort of thing I'm looking for from a big shiny execute button.

Deleted
    Focus cost + spammable? That'd be the day.

Can you imagine how many we could fire off from topped focus with Bestial Wrath halving the cost and a dire beast up regenning focus? It'd be insane.

The thing about making it high damage, no CD and dominating your rotation is that your rotation will just turn into Kill shot > Cobra > Cobra > Kill shot > Cobra > Cobra. It works as a warrior because you need Mortal Strike and Overpower (or whatever the fury versions ary) to generate rage and Colossus smash to debuff the target, meaning execute still fits in because it's not going to be the only button your pressing. as a hunter it will turn into a 100-80% MM hunter rotation of Aimed > Steady > Steady and just be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    this wont work for pvp as the dmg boost is either too short to be a relevant execute-ish ability and drops off after just a few shots, or the buff lasts too long like when the enemy is healed back up to over 20% hp and you still fire at him with higher than the intended dmg.

if it was passive like the frost dk ability from wotlk/cata (merciless combat) where the dmg of certain abilities was boosted as long as the target is below a certain percentage and dropped off instantly when the target is back above that percentage i could see it happening, but still not being a good solution.
    WTB increased damage for all abilities under 20%! I like that solution. Mages got it with Molten Fury and I think a few others do as well. Or remove the cooldown reset, double damage minus one Arcane Shot like someone else said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    The thing about making it high damage, no CD and dominating your rotation is that your rotation will just turn into Kill shot > Cobra > Cobra > Kill shot > Cobra > Cobra. It works as a warrior because you need Mortal Strike and Overpower (or whatever the fury versions ary) to generate rage and Colossus smash to debuff the target, meaning execute still fits in because it's not going to be the only button your pressing. as a hunter it will turn into a 100-80% MM hunter rotation of Aimed > Steady > Steady and just be silly.
    No, it wouldn't, because the only reason the Warrior cycle is as you describe is because it was designed that way. Therefore, if this change was made, the Hunter sub-20 cycle could also be manipulated to make it as simple or complex as the developers deemed appropriate.

I also fail to see, in your oversimplified example, how "Bloodthirst > Execute Execute" is significantly more compelling than "CS > KS KS". Pooling Rage around CSmash intervals is really only a Fury thing sub-20 anyway, since Arms generally needs to nail CSmash on CD due to potential SDeath procs.

If 3 buttons rather than 2 makes your life significantly more compelling, numbers on just about any button on your actionbar can be tweaked and poked around either baseline, or specifically sub-20, to make KS share its space with some other ability(s). I really do not see this as a valid complaint in practice.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2013-01-12 at 06:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    To answer your poll's question, no I don't want an execute like a Warrior's Execute. I'd rather see Kill Shot's damage doubled and not resetting the cool down if it doesn't kill it's target. Not because I want to see high numbers, but because spamming it twice in a row every 10 seconds is a little clunky.
    This. Also for PvP awesomeness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spiattalo View Post
    This. Also for PvP awesomeness.
    That post was meant from a PvE perspective, I think for PvP the damage would need to be toned down a little instead of flat out doubled. My main point I was trying to get across is the outdated resetting mechanic something they have to get rid of. It just doesn't make sense anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    That post was meant from a PvE perspective, I think for PvP the damage would need to be toned down a little instead of flat out doubled. My main point I was trying to get across is the outdated resetting mechanic something they have to get rid of. It just doesn't make sense anymore.
    Yeah, I get you. It's not the first time you post that anyway and I totally agree with you.