Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    I just dont understand what has happened to the community. I remember back in Vanilla and BC days it wasnt nearly this bad.
    Oh it was that bad, it's just the trolls were usually already part of big guilds and wore their shitty attitudes like a badge.

But as things that make people more anonymous such as LFD, LFR, Xrealm raiding etc...
    People are already 100% anonymous on the internet, it doesn't matter if their WoW character name is Jungletractor or not.

More and more people expose who they really are. Complete cock jugglers in need of a complete attitude adjustment. Nobody has respect for anyone, everyone talks shit and ninjas, kicks ppl from raids, calls people names etc because they have no realm reputation to uphold anymore.
    Present company included.

Really makes me lose faith in the human race.
    REALLY?!?! The human race? 7 billion people on the planet, and the 100 or so that you've potentially encountered doing dungeons is what causes you to lose faith in the human RACE. Right now people are getting raped, murdered, tortured, and persecuted for their beliefs in real life, but the attitude of a few chumps in video game cause you to lose faith in the human race?

Funny thing is 90% of these assholes couldnt even defend themselves in a real fight and would never do anything in reality to put themselves in any kind of danger.
    A. You know 0% of these people in real life, so there's no way you could make such a bold accusation that 90% of them couldn't defend themselves in real life.

B. No intelligent person would physically put themselves in harms way because that's now how we're programmed to behave. It has nothing to do with whether they're a troll or not. I'm a 6'1'' 242 pound boxer and I wouldn't willingly put myself in harms way.

The internet is great, wow is fun for the most part, but its really turning people into the scum of the earth.
    Being a dick over a video game doesn't make someone SCUM OF THE EARTH (Jesus Christ just listen to yourself, fuck.) Being a dick over a video game makes them a dick in a video game. Chopping people's heads off because they don't share the same views as you makes you the scum of the earth.

I dont believe in hell, but sometimes I wish it existed, because then I could rest easy knowing the majority of people Ive encountered in this game would be going there.
    If you honestly think being mean to poow widdle you over a video game you is going to land someone in hell, I have some news for you, most religion's hells don't work like that. I could walk up to you, stomp your nuts, spit in your face and shove you over, but because of my religion, guess what? I land a spot in heaven.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Because deep down all of mankind are shitheads.
    Our natural state is one of anarchy not harmony.
    I actually do not believe that anymore. IRL most people I meet are very polite to you, even when trying to brush you off.

The problem is when the majority of the gaming population are college age males at a time in their lives when they're trying to "strut their stuff" - all thrown into a world that's designed around individual competition instead of cooperation (outside of raiding, I mean). Combine that with various cultural upbringings of the predominant countries, and you got a mess of very rude angry selfish people.

Ironically I've heard story after story after story of GW2, Rift, EQ2, ect all having a MASSIVE shift towards nice people vs "asshats". Sure, they have their jerks, but very few.

Think of WoW as High-School Football, and think of GW2, Rift, ect as the Chess/Glee Club. :P

Most people who play the game are rude because, quite frankly, most people are rude.

After wallowing in the cesspool of a community of League of Legends for about 2 years now, I have to say WoW players are little teddy bears compared to those monsters. If you have to leave a dungeon group in WoW people don't ask you to commit suicide or yell 100 sentences of obscenities because you accidentally died.

Deleted
    Dumbass behaviour isn't being sanctioned. At all. Not by the community since you won't see people again. Not by Blizzard as botters, morons, you-name-it are subscribers too. Not by the mechanics of "kill stealing" and random loot drops which were never meant for CRZ, LFR, LFD.

Playing WoW is a one-round prisoner's dilemma.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reduction of accountability due to the various Looking For functions hasn't helped the community very much, but that's natural. Server transfers, name changes, and the fact that your server reputation is far less important now all contribute to the degradation of community in WoW. The fact that your post makes you sound no different from those you are complaining about is laughably ironic though.

Just something to think about - people tend to reflect the attitudes of those they interact with. You might have a lot of people acting like jerks to you because they percieve your actions towards them as jerk like.

That being said, one of the reasons I left the game was because I felt that the average quality of the game community had degraded. So I don't think you're wrong, but I think you may be part of the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just dont understand what has happened to the community. I remember back in Vanilla and BC days it wasnt nearly this bad. But as things that make people more anonymous such as LFD, LFR, Xrealm raiding etc... More and more people expose who they really are. Complete cock jugglers in need of a complete attitude adjustment. Nobody has respect for anyone, everyone talks shit and ninjas, kicks ppl from raids, calls people names etc because they have no realm reputation to uphold anymore.

Really makes me lose faith in the human race. Funny thing is 90% of these assholes couldnt even defend themselves in a real fight
    Do you even lift?

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-01-06 at 06:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Complete cock jugglers in need of a complete attitude adjustment. Nobody has respect for anyone, everyone talks shit and ninjas, kicks ppl from raids, calls people names etc because they have no realm reputation to uphold anymore.
    I have never in my life been kicked from a single raid or party. And I'm not some super-polite wallflower. There's an old saying - "if more than a couple of people in your life seem to be assholes, it's probably you".

1. People don't ninja. It's impossible to ninja. If the game lets them roll need, then they're playing as intended.
    2. You're not getting kicked by one person. You're getting kicked by the majority of the people you're with. You're either playing terribly, afking, or being rude.
    3. A very tiny minority of players call you names for no reason. You're either being confrontational, or are not being a team player.

PEBCAK.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Why are most people who play WoW rude?
    Allow me to introduce you to the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Deleted
    When we're good they never remember - when we're bad they never forget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vejovis View Post
    When we're good they never remember - when we're bad they never forget.
    Such excellent succinctness probably goes over OP's head, but damn that was well said.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

No wonder people are mean/rude to you with that kind of attitude.
    It's like oozing from your tiny heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    The rude people are outspoken. The nice people keep to themselves. That's why you think "most" people who play WoW are rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    The rude people are outspoken. The nice people keep to themselves. That's why you think "most" people who play WoW are rude.
    I'm going to agree with this one. I meet a lot of nice and pleasant people while playing WoW, but the rude ones are typically louder and more obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike most of the WoW community too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    pretty much this

Bad players say anything and everything to upset other players
    Good players keep there mouth shut and play the game
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    I just dont understand what has happened to the community. I remember back in Vanilla and BC days it wasnt nearly this bad. But as things that make people more anonymous such as LFD, LFR, Xrealm raiding etc... More and more people expose who they really are. Complete cock jugglers in need of a complete attitude adjustment. Nobody has respect for anyone, everyone talks shit and ninjas, kicks ppl from raids, calls people names etc because they have no realm reputation to uphold anymore.

Really makes me lose faith in the human race. Funny thing is 90% of these assholes couldnt even defend themselves in a real fight and would never do anything in reality to put themselves in any kind of danger. The internet is great, wow is fun for the most part, but its really turning people into the scum of the earth. I dont believe in hell, but sometimes I wish it existed, because then I could rest easy knowing the majority of people Ive encountered in this game would be going there.
    Sorry, with your attitude I'd probably be less than polite to you as well.. You want people not to be asshats? then lead by example.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    If you think wow's community is rude try League of Legend's xD u get insulted even if u try to improve other peoples playstyle or if u're just helpful

Rude people tend to go out of their way to make other people aware of their rudeness.

Nice people, rather less so.

Every setting has its own sub-culture. We behave differently at home, at work, at school, at the bus, with friends, at a party, at a job interview, and all of theose places - along with everywhere else - has a bunch of usually very specific rules of behaviour that apply to that specific situation. It's fine to make a loud, humorous burp with your friends, or hit at someone at a party, but if you let out a massive burp in a courtoom or hit on the person interviewing you for your job, then, well... you'd better be pretty damn charming to get away with it.

WoW has its own special set of social niceties that need to be adhered to, depending on the setting, to not be considered rude (needing on off-spec gear before first checking with anyone with a main role present who also needs it minds; pulling groups if you're not the tank; afking without warning; pulling while the healer is out of mana; etc.). A newcomer to the game will probably be doing tons of insanely rude things in the eyes of very experienced players. Seriously, I watch friends play sometimes (WoW and MOBA-games in particular) and see them upset people by doing stuff that they (my friends) don't understand could be (and were) considered very rude by more experienced players, and a lot of the time both players feel that the other player is in the wrong (new guy can't understand why the other guy is being an asshole, and old guy doesn't want to help someone who they feel just did something assholeish towards them) and will choose to be assholes to each other instead of working out the communication issues.

Of course, it's all complicated by different players adhering to different rules as well, and since we lack the ability to express ourselves with body language (and usually verbally too) in these situations, which is what usually deals with different perceptions about what is okay and not okay in different social settings, and we're not always very good at expressing verbally, in written form, what we usually express with our faces and bodies and tone of voice, it leads to a lot of frustration and casket blowing.

TL:DR; social rules and bad communication

...well, and sometimes there are genuine assholes and trolls roaming around. They are extremely rare, though. Almost all of the stupid situations I've been in, or witnessed, have been due to poor communication by one or all of the players involved, and different perceptions of what is considered acceptable behaviour or not.

Dismissing people who are rude to you as "shitheads" very rarely does anything but make the situation worse, and it probably makes you act like a shithead too. Sometimes people are shitheads towards each other for no real reason other than being in a bad mood and such, but most of the time there's a good (if difficult to immediately detect) reason for it, and if you don't try to figure out what that reason is then it'll just keep happening over and over again...

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    pretty much this

Bad players say anything and everything to upset other players
    Good players keep there mouth shut and play the game
    This is just a more advanced (and insidious) way of dismissing the opinions of people you don't like as irrelevant. This strategy allows you to consider anyone who doesn't speak up against you a supporter, while anyone who does is irrelevant anyway because they are "a bad player" or "just an asshole" by definition because of them saying something you don't like; thus rendering you immune to all harsh reactions. Of course you're not being an asshole; that guy is the asshole, he's the one being rude to you... don't fall into this trap, it's self-denial.

Here and there you will meet trolls who are just dicks for the sake of it, but they are extremely rare and usually dealt with harshly (as harshly as is appropriate and possible in the situation anyway). If you meet one in a LFD then it's almost certain you'll have the 3 other people on your side, and they'll be eliminated as a problem quickly if you're lucky (after a wipe if you're not, eh). If you don't, then you're probably part of the problem.

I could veer off on a tangent on why we see more negative reactions to things than we see positive reactions, but even I am getting bored of my post by now.

Personally I've done hundreds of LFDs by now since MoP launched, and (excluding afking and bad preformance, which I just see as the result of a consequence-free environment, rather than someone being a dick; even if it is often dickish behaviour, I don't think that being a dick is their intent) I can barely remember one incident where a guy was clearly being a dick, and even the worst thing he was doing was verbally insulting everyone while making a big deal out of how his sub-par preformance was intentional. He was votekicked.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."