Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Not a big fan of term limits tbh. I seriously doubt a president would get more than 2 terms for a long time anyway.
    Until FDR it was an unspoken tradtion that no president run for more then 2 terms. It was only after he left office (or died actully I belive) that laws were imposed to make it offical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two terms are fine.

God save us if presidents needed to keep dumbing down their legislation and convictions in hopes of repeatedly getting reelected...

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas
    It makes no sense to exclude children who are born elsewhere but spend practically their entire lives in America.
    But where does one draw the line? Four years? Five years? Ten years? If someone moves to America when they're 15, are they less American at age 35 than someone who's lived here since age 4? How about someone that moves here at age 20?
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-01-06 at 05:34 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    It makes no sense to exclude children who are born elsewhere but spend practically their entire lives in America.
    Maybe they should change it to include anyone that became a citizen as a minor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I don't see the point in them tbh. If someone's done a good enough job to be elected a 4th time in a row, why not just let them stay on? It would probably be better for the country.

Though it's not like anyone actually gets re-elected that many times anyway... I can't think of a single democratic country where it's ever happened (within my lifetime).
    It happens in Russia.

My concern is the accuracy of the vote count with voting machines that lack a paper trail.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    A thousand times to no to this. No other country in the world would want someone from another country running theirs. I guarantee it.
    If someone came at an early enough age, why not? If someone's demonstrated their love for the country well enough to convince the nation, why not?

It's not saying that the president must be from outside the US, just allowing the possibility for an exceptional case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    Maybe they should change it to include anyone that became a citizen as a minor?
    But then they may need to redifine minor. Its one thing if you're say, 3 and too younf to remember your home culture. Its another thing entirely if you move here at 15. You tend to be a whole lot more intrenched in your countries ways.

Im sorry if the above post comes out as extremely bigoted toward non americans. Its not my intentions and Im having a hard time trying to put into word my initial emotional reactions. Especially since Ive been exposed from a young age to cultures all around the globe thanks to my globe trotting father.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RH exact View Post
    They should do this. If they reduced terms to 3 years, then it would be okay to increase the limit to 3 terms. The world changes at a pace remarkably faster than it did 200 years ago.
    I don't mind this solution so much, though I wouldn't even be opposed to two 3 year terms either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    It happens in Russia.

My concern is the accuracy of the vote count with voting machines that lack a paper trail.
    I doubt very much that the possibility of foul play was large enough to account for the absolutely massive disparity between Putin and the next highest candidate in 2012.

I would be in favor of a 3rd term but not the removal of term limits altogether.
    Of course our political system is so messed up we would be better off electing our officials by playing spin the bottle.

Either way we need an unbiased online media outlet for all of the nominee's to get some face time simply so the lesser known candidates could have a fighting chance.
    The site should also keep track of the politicians views and how they have changed over his her career as well as accomplishments/failures and otherwise fact check the claims of the candidates themselves.
    Last edited by skrump; 2013-01-06 at 05:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I doubt very much that the possibility of foul play was large enough to account for the absolutely massive disparity between Putin and the next highest candidate in 2012.
    I'm not even talking about the legitimacy of Russia's vote count, that's a completely different topic. My comment was in reference to a president being elected for more than two terms.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they need to make it 1 6 year term and no none american should be able to run for president

Should they be removed? Only if you want a dictator who never answers to the people.

The opposite trend should be occurring. We should have term limits for Senate and Congress. Removing "life-career-politicians" would limit the bribes they could take and remove them from corrupting influences. And most importantly, it would make politicians REAL PEOPLE again...they would have to go back to their jobs as plumbers, salesmen, and lawyers like the rest of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe it's up to We the People to contact our elected officials and let them know how we feel about measures like this. At the end of the day, the Congressional Representatives and Senators are public servants, and they are supposed to be accountable to us. This is why I believe it's important for anyone who feels strongly one way or another about this and other resolutions to do what you can to reach out to your congressional rep and make an impact.

Easier said than done, but it has to start somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    To expand on term limits. They should also apply to GOVENORS! Here in texas, Gov Hair as i like to call him is going on his freaking 3rd term. A lot of us really disapprove of his shenanigans although we're still sadly in the minority because since the political climate became nasty, a lot of his votes come from the "ANYBODY BUT A DEMOCRAT" crowd.

Seriously, no one should have to suffer 3 terms of Rick Perry. Now imagine Rick perry was our President....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    But then they may need to redifine minor. Its one thing if you're say, 3 and too younf to remember your home culture. Its another thing entirely if you move here at 15. You tend to be a whole lot more intrenched in your countries ways.

Im sorry if the above post comes out as extremely bigoted toward non americans. Its not my intentions and Im having a hard time trying to put into word my initial emotional reactions. Especially since Ive been exposed from a young age to cultures all around the globe thanks to my globe trotting father.
    My orginal post was going to be a random age like 10 but I figured a broader suggestion would be more accptalbe and would cause less arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    No. The US has enough trouble with no term limits for congressmen.
    And that's the thread, right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    To expand on term limits. They should also apply to GOVENORS! Here in texas, Gov Hair as i like to call him is going on his freaking 3rd term. A lot of us really disapprove of his shenanigans although we're still sadly in the minority.

Seriously, no one should have to suffer 3 terms of Rick Perry. Now imagine Rick perry was our President....
    Well, going by his track record, I imagine he'd have trouble remembering what he wanted to do if he were ever President.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    Well, going by his track record, I imagine he'd have trouble remembering what he wanted to do if he were ever President.
    I wonder what that red button does...

Ooops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    And that's the thread, right there.
    The thread's more about the fact that HJ Res 15 is being introduced to the HoR for voting and to start a constructive discussion on the topic. I'd appreciate if you'd contribute with some insight rather than just replying "No, end of thread," as it completely undermines the entire purpose of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IRL View Post
    Should they be removed? Only if you want a dictator who never answers to the people.

The opposite trend should be occurring. We should have term limits for Senate and Congress. Removing "life-career-politicians" would limit the bribes they could take and remove them from corrupting influences. And most importantly, it would make politicians REAL PEOPLE again...they would have to go back to their jobs as plumbers, salesmen, and lawyers like the rest of us.
    I would agree however even a good politician can't please everyone and throwing them to the wolves in such a way would never be aloud as society would punish them for what they did or were believed to do while in congress.