Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Clearly, but that's not the question. Is giving up everything to solve some great problem worth it in the end? Or is it better to just have a wife and children?
    If you take a look at history, you would see that all the big names had a partner/lover at some point in their lives, so you can combine the 2.
    Also is it worth it to be remembered for the rest of human history? Depends on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Most likely the person is subjecting himself to hardships thinking that in the future after he has done some significant thing he will either be famous or rich and that will make him happy. This is why people are often not happy because they think they need to give away their happiness to get it in the future but often never get to what they want. Its better to just do what makes you happy now and you will still be happy later.

Or helping people makes him happy so he isnt really giving up happiness at all.
    Or he actually realizes his happiness is a drop in the bucket compared to what he can accomplish for so many others. With great power comes great responsibility right?

Deleted
    I guess multiple biographies about Einsteins life is false then. You go take that up with rest of the internet.
    So presumebly 1 genius turns out to be just some boring math teacher, I guess everyone who did a great discovery must have put their entire lives to the case....
    You do realize most great discoveries where discovered by accident by a normal working man?

Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    She and her husband DID die from cancer due to the radiation contamination from the radioactive material they were carrying around.
    She lived to the reasonably ripe old age of 66 though. An occupational hazard that wasn't realised at the time.

I guess multiple biographies about Einsteins life is false then. You go take that up with rest of the internet.
    No, its just you who are wrong.

We don't even know what happened to Lieserl Einstein, and you are claiming to know that her father definitely gave her up for adoption to "finish college". Not to mention she was born 1902 and last mentioned in 1903 after some talk of suffering from scarlet fever, and then Einstein had his son, which renders your bizarre theory of "adoption to finish college" highly improbable.

She might have been adopted, but most theories are that she died of scarlet fever, but the stupid reason you attribute to the slim possibility of adoption is completely your own fabrication.

Deleted
    i wouldn't want to be great.

"Great men are almost always bad men." Lord Baron Acton...

That's a very broad topic. Great in whose eyes? God(s), parents, wife, kids, society, or yourself? Then what defines great? Simply being told, some preconceived notion, simple acts of kindness, a life of service, a rule of totalitarian authority, etc. Great could also pertain to an activity/skill such as sports and music where particular greatness is subjective and based on the eyes of the beholder.

I think if you live life trying to be great your missing the point.