Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

state of the game pvp, jan 4th

There was a new one, this time with NA representatives and no devs.
    Part one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqVzXr1-JU
    Part two:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8QNRC0VKc

Didnt watch it all, but they had some interesting thoughts about what needs to be done to spvp, especially solo queues to ease up participation for casual players and increase participation.

Thanks for a link, at least we have a discussion about PVP.

Deleted
    Yea, not much here though considering amount of replies to this =/ Perhaps it's a make or break for february patch or as they say in their discussions in this show that it's better for ANet to start aiming for a completely new and fresh pvp playerbase once they get their stuff in order.. if they do. Nice to see the effort though, that they organize streams like this

the biggest gripe is again communication. I really don't get what's so hard about giving a time frame or a priority list.

All my friends who bought the game for PvP have quit, I bought it for PvP as well but now I'm just a 100% PvE player. Nice that they host these little video chats with players, but the fact is that nothing has happened to make PvP more fun or engaging. It's basically the same as it was on release, which didn't interest people.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    All my friends who bought the game for PvP have quit, I bought it for PvP as well but now I'm just a 100% PvE player. Nice that they host these little video chats with players, but the fact is that nothing has happened to make PvP more fun or engaging. It's basically the same as it was on release, which didn't interest people.
    I didn't buy for the PvP but I really liked it, but honestly I don't play PvP much anymore so I guess I agree with alot of problems. I love the feeling (Super Smash Brawl feeling XD) that it has, and I played alot of tournaments. I really dislike how the Hot Join works, I will probably come back once they put the rentable (depending on cost) servers. And I would really love some diversities in game types (I think the maps are just awesome tho). I know they are aiming for the e-sports, but I wouldn't mind a different not "fully balanced" type of game.

I am looking forward for jan/feb tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I am looking forward for jan/feb tho.
    I'm not, they already backtracked on their words of how big the jan update will be. Going from past experiences I don't think a-net knows(or isn't able to do) what is needed. It's like they said in the vid 3stacks of might/illusion/shatter shouldn't have gone through in the first place. The mess with portals is another. Thief backstab=>hs is yet another and it's not hard to keep going.

I'm hoping they deliver with the jan/feb patches but I doubt they will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I'm not, they already backtracked on their words of how big the jan update will be. Going from past experiences I don't think a-net knows(or isn't able to do) what is needed. It's like they said in the vid 3stacks of might/illusion/shatter shouldn't have gone through in the first place. The mess with portals is another. Thief backstab=>hs is yet another and it's not hard to keep going.

I'm hoping they deliver with the jan/feb patches but I doubt they will.
    When and how did the backtrack on January patch? I haven't seen the vids yet, at work, but I will once I get home so if it's in the vids just say, "it's in the vid ya jack ass!" XD.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I think fencers said it in the one thread, let me lookit up for you.

edit:
    it was Kelesti
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    here
    I haven't found the forum posts yet
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-01-07 at 04:44 AM.

Deleted
    A little news
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...message/page/4

"Hey all, hope you guys had a great break!
    There are so many things to talk about, so instead of quoting individual people, I’ll just make a post outlining things that people have mentioned.

New features: As I said in the Guru state of the game, January won’t see any big updates. Everyone is getting back from vacation, so it’s a small patch. We’ll see bigger updates in later patches, etc.
    I plan to write out a full blog for these features as they’re closer to being ready. But I can give a few details now:

Custom Arenas. This is still our top priority for the time being, as it allows the playerbase to do so many things. You guys can set maps up in the ways that you want, and it you can set up your own servers to allow you to practice with your friends. It also allows custom tournaments, etc. It just gives you guys a lot of control over the game, so we’re pushing hard on it.

Ratings/matchmaking/leaderboards. These are being worked on. I’ll give more details on this later, but quickly: We will be using our MM (matchmaking) system to match teams up against one another. Each player has their own rating, and these ratings are used when 2 teams are fighting one another. MM obviously won’t be used in public matches (because people are jumping in/out all the time), and instead will be used in tournament formats. We will be using the MM system in the background as you play, and then we will be showing player ranks via our official leaderboards. These leaderboards will show things like player ranks, wins, losses, qualyfing points, etc.

New player experience/teaching the game better. We want players of all experience levels to enjoy the game, not just the hardcore. We’ll talk more about this stuff later, but we want to make sure all players enjoy the game. Custom Arenas will help here as well, because players can find arenas where they feel comfortable, and play the game with the same players every day while they learn the game, etc.

1 team vs. 1 team. Like with other things, I was going to do a more robust blog on this later, but we are doing this. We will be testing out Temple of the Silent Storm for tournament rotation play by doing a 1 team vs. 1 team setup (as opposed to the 8 team setup we use in tournaments). This will mean only two teams play, one wins, one loses. It will cost less to enter these 1on1 matchups than tournaments, but rewards will also be scaled down. You won’t have to go multiple rounds, and once a match is over, both teams can jump right back into the pool. So overall, compared to tournaments, it will have less rewards, but it’s quicker to play and easier to get into/out of. We’ll be testing this system in the near future to see how it works, and if feedback is positive, we may look at trying to incorporate the 1on1 format into PvP. We know that free tournaments are going almost all the time, but we recognize that paid tournaments are having some issues right now, so have been listening to you and have made plans to improve the experience. You guys have made some great suggestions, and a lot of your ideas are in alignment with the things propounded in our internal meetings. So thank you for all your passion and suggestions!
    That’s all I can say for now on that stuff for now. I’ll try to jump back in this thread during the week as time allows.
    Cheers,
    -J"

I guess sPvP is one of my largest gripes for GW2. I feel PvP has to have a few things to be engaging and keep players entertained.

1. It has to be fun

2. It has to have rewards

3. It can't be too repetitive

Guild Wars 2 has only done one of these three things. It has rewards for competing in sPvP. The rewards are not very good, but they are there. You also cannot use the rewards in WvWvW or PvE, which is senseless to me. Showing off your gear is something that most every player enjoys doing. Being limited to showing it off in the mists and prior to matches really limits that option.

The sPvP simply isn't that much fun. I have played as my thief and my ranger. The fights are dynamic, but the matches are very boring and feel like the goals are really not that important. They are also very repetitive.

WvWvW on the other hand is amazing. The goals are outlined well and reward you for achieving them.

It is amazing to me that one portion of PvP can be done so well, while another portion seems to be done so poorly.

I've even stopped doing my PvP daily, because I simply don't see the point. I have more fun in WvWvW, recieve rewards like silver and karma, and can wear my tier 3 cultural gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    I guess sPvP is one of my largest gripes for GW2. I feel PvP has to have a few things to be engaging and keep players entertained.

1. It has to be fun

2. It has to have rewards

3. It can't be too repetitive

Guild Wars 2 has only done one of these three things. It has rewards for competing in sPvP. The rewards are not very good, but they are there. You also cannot use the rewards in WvWvW or PvE, which is senseless to me. Showing off your gear is something that most every player enjoys doing. Being limited to showing it off in the mists and prior to matches really limits that option.

The sPvP simply isn't that much fun. I have played as my thief and my ranger. The fights are dynamic, but the matches are very boring and feel like the goals are really not that important. They are also very repetitive.

WvWvW on the other hand is amazing. The goals are outlined well and reward you for achieving them.

It is amazing to me that one portion of PvP can be done so well, while another portion seems to be done so poorly.

I've even stopped doing my PvP daily, because I simply don't see the point. I have more fun in WvWvW, recieve rewards like silver and karma, and can wear my tier 3 cultural gear.
    About the showing off your gear to others...I find that contradictory.

You can show off your pvp gear to pvpers (which is kinda what should matter). Much more so since the skins for PvE and PvP are the same and there is no inspects too. So if you want to show off your armors in PvE you do PvE and work for them. If you want to show off PvP armor you PvP for it and show it off there.

As for the rest of rewards I think it's well placed. You know people who worked hard for them (or they just don't care about how they look too). I believe there is a /rank thing to show off as well. I always get happy when I get dyes on PvP and even gems :O. I think for the purpose of making the PvP have no interference in the PvE setting, this is a important feature overall.

As for fun it's always subjective. I know when I go there I have fun (usually with Tournaments tho). But Ill agree that it can be repetitive and I wish they improve those in the updates to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't think it's repetitive at all, then again I don't run the same strategy for a map every time and will often change it greatly... As for rewards, meh, my PvP armor makes me look like a power ranger, and as such I have no intentions on changing it so I can care less about any other "rewards" in PvP. It certainly is fun though so I'd say it has 2/3.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Durz what you say is true for hot join pvp where you can indeed change strategies. However like mentioned in the VoD on certain maps you simply have to run one strategy and then it comes down to who survives TW;

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    About the showing off your gear to others...I find that contradictory.
    I guess this would work just fine if players stuck specifically to their one playstyle, whether it be PvP or PvE. But many players do both. This means players who have completed alot of PvE content cannot wear the gear that they earned on their character for all sPvP environments. It also means that PvP players cannot show off their gear in a large majority of content available in the game. Why shouldn't they be allowed to?

People have mentioned the idea of knowing how much time someone has spent in PvP by their gear, but people also know time does not diretly correlate to skill. Why people think this is a valid judgement of skill is beyond me. Guild Wars 2 even removes the power of the gear itself completely from the equation, so I really don't understand the limits imposed on aesthetics.

I guess it all comes down to immersion for me. I feel if I have earned an item on my character I should not have artificial restrictions imposed on me limiting my use of said item. The character currently feels very clunky going from Lion's arch to the Mists, in fact it feels like I am on a new character entirely.

I guess this would work just fine if players stuck specifically to their one playstyle, whether it be PvP or PvE. But many players do both. This means players who have completed alot of PvE content cannot wear the gear that they earned on their character for all sPvP environments. It also means that PvP players cannot show off their gear in a large majority of content available in the game. Why shouldn't they be allowed to?

People have mentioned the idea of knowing how much time someone has spent in PvP by their gear, but people also know time does not diretly correlate to skill. Why people think this is a valid judgement of skill is beyond me. Guild Wars 2 even removes the power of the gear itself completely from the equation, so I really don't understand the limits imposed on aesthetics.

I guess it all comes down to immersion for me. I feel if I have earned an item on my character I should not have artificial restrictions imposed on me limiting my use of said item. The character currently feels very clunky going from Lion's arch to the Mists, in fact it feels like I am on a new character entirely.
    That shouldn't come as a surprise tho. On gw1 you could make strictly pvp characters.

I do agree that alot (myself included) play both. But personally I find the "pvp players cannot show off their gear in a large majority of content" a weak point even more when you play the "we play both" card. If the sPvP gear is merely aesthetic and you play both it's only natural that at some point you will have both (pvE and PvP gear) to brag about o.0, even better if it's different!. It's very much non-sense because the gear is actually the same in looks, unlike WoW where each season the gear PvP and PvE wise are very different and it's actually nice to show off (and even so big chances you are not showing off to anyone XD). If you want to show off PvP, show it on PvP cause you earned it, same goes for PvE and even more if applies for both. The game already boosts you to level 80 for pvp even if you just started playing, so from level 2 by playing just PvP I should be able to get that awesome Arah dungeon gear without actually doing the dungeon and show off on PvE? What would be the point? And then again we don't have inspection (which is another positive point) to even know if you are just the "fake" pvp wearer or the real deal that made 100 runs for that.

I do respect your comment about immersion, sure. But I still find it very contradictory to point the whole deal out, meaning I personally think its a good design (even more because I believe on the overall skill-balance-reward we have on sPvP).
    Last edited by Zilong; 2013-01-10 at 05:15 AM.

We will disagree on this subject. I feel it is a bad system that perpetuates an unnecessary rift between PvE and PvP players. You feel that it is fine to work towards a second set of the same exact gear aesthetically. I personally don't brag about gear, I simply choose the gear that I like aesthetically the best. I also want this gear to portray the mindset I had when creating the toon

My Charr is an Elegant Thief. My Human is a skilled beastmaster. Their gear denotes these two things. It took time and effort, and when I go into PvP the charr looks absolutely ridiculous, and the ranger whom most of my sPvP has been on looks nothing like what I would like her to. I have alot of PvP experience, in WvWvW and other video games, yet I still get shitty comments regarding my assumed level because of the lack of gear that I have available to me in sPvP currently (pre-match, post-match they rarely say anything).

Deleted
    in my opinion there are not enough rewards.
    you get a new selection of gear every 10 levels, but it takes FOREVER to get from twenty to thirty...
    that in my opinion gives me less motivation to play spvp.
    beside i really like the combat and its lots of fun

Quote Originally Posted by syom View Post
    in my opinion there are not enough rewards.
    you get a new selection of gear every 10 levels, but it takes FOREVER to get from twenty to thirty...
    that in my opinion gives me less motivation to play spvp.
    beside i really like the combat and its lots of fun
    Good thing you weren't big into HA in gw1...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Durz what you say is true for hot join pvp where you can indeed change strategies. However like mentioned in the VoD on certain maps you simply have to run one strategy and then it comes down to who survives TW;
    Well, i haven't done paid tournies, but i certainly have done the others and we changed our strat quite often, granted it was a COMPLETE change everytime, we usually had a pool of 5 strats or so for each map and would pick one of them at the beginning to try, if it's failing change it up slightly, but usually we didn't need to change it. There are SEVERAL strats you can do for each map, it just depends on how you build your team. If you run the "meta" builds, then no, you'll be limited to a handful of strats, but when you run your own team synergy builds you don't have to follow -their- strats, and can go with your own.

EX: Foe Fire side control, control the side points, don't even go for mid and essentially just stop them from even getting -to- the points on the sides. then there's control your natural + mid point while 1 person constantly goes solo to backdoor keep lord forcing them to pull people off to deal with them (is often a ranger that's build super tanky and has their damage coming from their pet, allowing them to force the enemy team to pull at least 2 people off of the point caping game to deal with the ranger, or lose their keep lord.). There's a lot of possibilities, and when you and your friends build your team around having a ton of synergy between each other you absolutely destroy in team fights.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 05:22 PM ----------

Just throwing this out there, but Anet themselves have flat out said the character you're playing in sPvP (aka heart of the mists) IS NOT your character you play in PvE/WvW, you are "Generic <insert race here> <insert prof here>" who has passed away and is now reliving battles in the mists. They said this is why you are not getting gear for your PvE character in there, if you wanna be showing off how much of a champion you are at PvP in a PvE environment you should be decking out WvW armor.

Do i necessarily agree with this? No, not really, i do think you should be able to buy some sort of medal or something by using glory that you can then use to buy a set of gear for your PvE (and maybe even sPvP as well) use. Each rank would have a unique sort of skin, IE Rabbit would not look the same as Deer, which would not look the same as Dolyak, etc. This will help people who spend a lot of time doing both SPvP and PvE to show off by saying "Hey look, i'm actually good in sPvP!" instead of having to use WvW gear to show your PvP expertise.