6637 haste worths gemming?

Heya, as title says I am wondering if 6637 haste breakpoints worth gemming haste. I can't post links yet, I'm Sifon from Twisting Nether. A while ago I read that level 490ish gear should go 6637 haste instead of 4717. On my current gear, 6637 haste and 4717 haste sims almost the same(500-1k dps difference) but I want to know which is better on practice. With 6637 haste gear all my gems are haste and my mastery is 4878 which bugs me. When I get heroic LotC my mastery goes up to 6100ish but until then which haste breakpoint would be more benefical for me?

Deleted
    Haste caps are often exaggerated when it comes to DPS.

I would go for mastery gems if I were you, assuming you play Affliction.

The only way you'll know what is better in practice though, is to gem and reforge, do an LFR or a normal raid, and then do it again, and again, and again.

haste break point does not really increase the dps significantly because haste and mastery weight so close to each other that the difference is almost neglectable when it is a player playing a character not computer from simcraft

When you have to stress to hit a breakpoint, it usually isn't worth it. 4717 is greater then 6400-6637 in terms of what's noticeable, just because you reach a certain ilvl doesn't mean you'll be able to hit the suggested breakpoints because of how much crit is on gear this tier, giving many limitations. I would stay all mastery and hit whatever you can. I think the basic roll is going to be changing here soon to maintaining hitting important breakpoints while also keeping haste and mastery close to each other, while prioritizing getting mastery over haste by 200-400ish.
    Last edited by Kink; 2013-01-06 at 05:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifonology View Post
    With 6637 haste gear all my gems are haste and my mastery is 4878 which bugs me.
    There's your answer then.

You don't want to be stacking one value miles above the other, especially if it's just for a haste breakpoint. Wait until you have can hit that haste plateau while maintaining a similar amount of mastery.

Deleted
    well, if my simcraft is correct it says that i gain about 5-600 dps from changing around 2k mastery to haste through gemming or reforging, it isnt much but it is an upgrade, however generally the 6637 haste breakpoint is only really a viable option at around ilvl 495 bcoz at that point you'll have enough haste while being able to keep your mastery high enough.

Deleted
    I'm running the 6637 haste cap with around ~58% mastery, according to SimCraft it's a DPS gain for me as opposed to the 4717 haste cap and like ~65%+ mastery. Currently mastery is within 200-400 of haste, so seems like that might indeed be the way to go as of now (or for me personally anyway).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumble View Post
    I'm running the 6637 haste cap with around ~58% mastery, according to SimCraft it's a DPS gain for me as opposed to the 4717 haste cap and like ~65%+ mastery. Currently mastery is within 200-400 of haste, so seems like that might indeed be the way to go as of now (or for me personally anyway).
    This is entirely depending on your gear. One single item upgrade can change your patchwerk statweights from mastery > haste to haste > mastery. Imagine the difference between your character and the OPs character.

Judging by his need to gem haste in order to reach the 6637, I am 99% sure it wouldn't be worth it for him. Since this would involve dropping more mastery than you could simply reforge, which would already be too much on its own.

As a very rough guideline I'd say 495+ ilvls should go for 6637 haste, since their haste would most likely only be reforged to as low as 5400 or something. In any event, much higher than the 4717. The point is to try and keep haste and mastery balanced, preferably with a slight overweight of mastery.

You gain the most out of your secondary stats when they are balanced to a certain ratio, which is dependant on your overall amount of personal stats. How you accomplish your target is completly irrelevant. Socketing haste and reforging more to mastery or the other way round does not change the overall number of haste and mastery, which is the only thing that matters to the system.

If your question is if running the 6637 haste threshold is the best option for yourself than you have to trust SimCraft and/or your personal preferences.
    Last edited by luckydevours; 2013-01-09 at 02:18 PM.

I have reached this plateu and can tell you that it is not really that big of a DPS increase. Honestly - I don't believe it will be enough of a gain to gem for it in anyones case.

Deleted
    well, if you're a min/maxing freak, and you want to maximize your dps at any cost, then sure gem the 6637ish haste breakpoint, but it comes down to cost vs gain and as such it prolly isnt worth it, im in bit of a similar situation. im ilvl 490, and i can reach the 6637 haste break point as well by gemming for it, and it is a dps increase of about 5-600 dps according to simcraft(oddly enough i seem to have gained 1-2k dps increase from changing to version 9 from version 8) but it simply isnt worth it to spend that amount of gold to reach it.

Deleted
    Try to simcraft it. (Download the newest version of simcraft, open your calculator and a word pad) Now write the stat weights of each gem (320 mastery, 160 intellect) divided with the stat weights of your current reforges. If haste scales better than mastery you will want to try and reforge as much crit (some mastery but not too much) into haste, if this doesn't reach the cap then just go for the 4717 cap instead untill you get some better gear.

Deleted
    I'm in the same place than the OP, i have reach the 6637 breakpoint through gemming, but at last is the same reach this breakpoint reforging or gemming becouse the final stats doesn't matter how you have reached it. it's only a matter of gold and final numbers of every stat.
    i have 6637 haste and 4968 mastery. and if i sim with 4717 haste i lost 1200 dps. for me its better reach 6637 haste, i don't mind how to do it, gold is not important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarach View Post
    I'm in the same place than the OP, i have reach the 6637 breakpoint through gemming, but at last is the same reach this breakpoint reforging or gemming becouse the final stats doesn't matter how you have reached it. it's only a matter of gold and final numbers of every stat.
    i have 6637 haste and 4968 mastery. and if i sim with 4717 haste i lost 1200 dps. for me its better reach 6637 haste, i don't mind how to do it, gold is not important.
    It's more the implication that if you have to gem haste in order to reach the breakpoint, you cannot reforge enough to reach it, in which case your gear isn't theoretically at the point where it would be worth the mastery sacrifice in order to reach the 6637 haste breakpoint. If you reforge everything into mastery and then gem haste to reach the haste breakpoint, then that's obviously yields the same end result as doing it the other way around would. But I didn't think anybody would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifonology View Post
    Heya, as title says I am wondering if 6637 haste breakpoints worth gemming haste. I can't post links yet, I'm Sifon from Twisting Nether. A while ago I read that level 490ish gear should go 6637 haste instead of 4717. On my current gear, 6637 haste and 4717 haste sims almost the same(500-1k dps difference) but I want to know which is better on practice. With 6637 haste gear all my gems are haste and my mastery is 4878 which bugs me. When I get heroic LotC my mastery goes up to 6100ish but until then which haste breakpoint would be more benefical for me?
    At a certain point of gear the 6640 haste breakpoint just comes naturally with the gear and you barely have to reforge to get to it. I'm running at the 6640 breakpoint w/ 74% mastery and the other lock I raid with is at the 4717 breakpoint w/ 76% mastery and we do basically the same DPS. As said already it doesn't really increase your DPS going one way or the other and you shouldn't go out of your way to hit one or the other breakpoint.

In practice you will actually have to LT more with the 6640 breakpoint than the 4717, but more or less make up for it with the lower GCDs/faster casts of Haunt/MG.

FWIW - keeping my mastery/haste near to each other isn't any better or worse than having a 3000 difference between the two.

I just simmed my character out of curiosity,

Simcraft one: Crit 1343 | Haste 3683 | Mastery 7956 | DPS 101171
    Simcraft two: Crit 1343 | Haste 4721 | Mastery 6918 | DPS 101165

I cannot reforge to 6637 Haste at the moment but it seems reforging for those extra corruption ticks isn't quite worth it for me. If you can't reach the breakpoints naturally it just isn't worth it to regem all of your stuff. Instead of wasting gold simcrafting takes a few minutes and you waste nothing.