Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Thanks for all the advice and input!
    I didn't order the parts yet, but I did put them together - seems fine to me indeed, the price is also absolutely ok.

Yet there's one thing left I'd like to ask:
    I played a bit around with different parts and piled some really nasty things - which brought me to another build.
    I know that it probably will be utter overkill for WoW etc., but it seems quite tempting to me

The question isn't necessarily "Do I need it?", but more like: "Would I notice ANY difference compared to the setup(s) mentioned above in a real world environment?"

MoBo: ASUS Rampage IV Formula
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
    RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 1866, 4x4GB
    GPU: MSI NVIDIA GTX 680 Lightning
    SSD: Corsair Force GT 120 GB
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
    PSU: Corsair AX850
    Heatsink: Corsair H100i
    Case: Coolermaster HAF-X RC-942
    Fans: Corsair SP120 x4

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    2011 has more PCI-e lanes than 1155, it also has 4 RAM channels. Making it significantly stronger in multi-gpu solutions than it's 1155 counterpart. This is showed mostly in synthetic tests like 3Dmark11 etc. but it will grant a noticable difference in real world performance with the meanest games also. It will cost alot more though and I would advice against it as you aren't future proofing anything by buying current-gen 2011 over a 1155 solution. It will grant you a slight performance increase, but it's very little at a premium price.
    Yes, thank you for repeating what I said.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that it probably will be utter overkill for WoW etc., but it seems quite tempting to me
    The question isn't necessarily "Do I need it?", but more like: "Would I notice ANY difference compared to the setup(s) mentioned above in a real world environment?"

You are spending about $600-700 more on this system than you will notice any difference. There is not some magic higher resolution in the games you're playing over Ultra.
    i7 will not really improve anything. The motherboard is also a bit silly.
    680 will not really improve anything over, say, a 660ti.
    16gb of ram, and 1866 will not improve anything over 8.

Unless I missed a post somewhere, that indicates you're doing something other than simply playing current gen games, and maybe future proofing a bit for a couple years, you can probably get away with a system for half the cost, and 98% of the performance.

Nice build though, will be secured for years to come with that CPU.
    I just bought my i7 last week and finally got er running, everyone said don't get i7, but I had the money it was no issue so why not get the best you can.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    everyone said don't get i7, but I had the money it was no issue so why not get the best you can.
    Because some people could use the extra $200. For gaming, the i7 just doesnt -do- anything. That's like saying a ferrari works great on the highway going 65, so everyone ought to get one if they can afford it.

Chances are, if you had gotten an i5, your performance would have been identical.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Because some people could use the extra $200. For gaming, the i7 just doesnt -do- anything. That's like saying a ferrari works great on the highway going 65, so everyone ought to get one if they can afford it.

Chances are, if you had gotten an i5, your performance would have been identical.
    in the multi task stuff i do it works alot better than my i5 2500k i had plus now i have pci 3.0
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

in the multi task stuff i do it works alot better than my i5 2500k i had plus now i have pci 3.0
    You can't use PCI-E 3.0 with that GPU of your anyway.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    It's probably worth noting that I'm already using an i7 in the system I bought about 3 years ago, so I'm no stranger to it - although the Sandy/Ivy-Bridges might be a different story in general, of course.
    Also, I tried to build something with a 2011 socket in this second build I posted...and the 3790k seemed like a good choice there.

But thanks for the opinion.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-01-13 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You can't use PCI-E 3.0 with that GPU of your anyway.
    Your right but thats why i plan on upgrading to the 700 series this year once they come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    in the multi task stuff i do it works alot better than my i5 2500k.
    I'm curious what 'multi task stuff' implies... Because it probably involves something very specific that benefits from HT that most people dont do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and input!
    I didn't order the parts yet, but I did put them together - seems fine to me indeed, the price is also absolutely ok.

Yet there's one thing left I'd like to ask:
    I played a bit around with different parts and piled some really nasty things - which brought me to another build.

Rendering - noticable real world difference over the 1155
    Games - You will not notice the difference
    file compression - miniscule difference
    3DMark11 - huge difference in physics score but you will probably not score more than 12800-14400 where my system scores 10900-11200
    SLI - noticable real world difference if you actually play on multiple screens. If not, you won't notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    SLI - noticable real world difference if you actually play on multiple screens. If not, you won't notice the difference.
    The difference of running a GTX 680 on a PCI-E 3.0 8x vs a PCI-E 3.0 16x is about 1%, so you would have to be running 3 way to actually notice any real performance gains from going socket 2011 over 1155.

Obviously this changes when you add a Dual GPU card or high-end cards from next generation.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I'm curious what 'multi task stuff' implies... Because it probably involves something very specific that benefits from HT that most people dont do.
    It doesn't matter i do not have to explain why i bought an i7 be cause i wanted it thats enough reason for me glad everyones so concerned about other's financials though lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter i do not have to explain why i bought an i7 be cause i wanted it thats enough reason for me glad everyones so concerned about other's financials though lol.
    I was simply pointing out that it's poor form to encourage people to get something that they don't need, just because you got one and it 'works great'. I'm sure if I had one too it would 'work great'... but so would a number of things lesser and cheaper.

I was simply pointing out that it's poor form to encourage people to get something that they don't need, just because you got one and it 'works great'. I'm sure if I had one too it would 'work great'... but so would a number of things lesser and cheaper.
    With the rendering I do now, i've noticed atleast a 10 to 15% increase. With a very mild OC of 4.2MHz aswell.

With the rendering I do now, i've noticed atleast a 10 to 15% increase. With a very mild OC of 4.2MHz aswell.
    I'm also in the rendering market now. What rendering are you doing atm? I'm also making a build to buy and I want feedback from renderers using the i7. Which program are you using? To which end? What type of rendering are you up to? How much time does it take you to render like, let's say a 500 segments per 500 rings sphere? Thanks!
    World PvP and how it stands/standed.
    World PvP isn't meant to be balanced, fair nor honorable. It's meant to be brutal, relentless, deadly.. and it's the survival of the fittest. It's a fight where everything goes and you use anything you can to survive and win. It's War.. a World of Warcraft where only the best survive!

Deleted
    glad everyones so concerned about other's financials though lol.
    Well, after all at least I did ask for opinions - also regarding the cost-benefit ratio.
    And I'm very, very grateful for all the feedback I got so far.

So, let's say I would want to go for a 2011 solution - which CPU and MoBo would you buy?
    The Rampage IV and 3930K would be nice indeed - yet ~1100$ just for those two parts alone isn't exactly a bargain, even considering the whole "I buy it because I just want to have it!!!1"-factor.
    Also, the rest of the build could perfectly stay the same as advised, couldn't it?