Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why couldn't the Lich King kill Kil'jaeden or maybe even Sargeras?

If one hit from Frostmourne can kill someone and steal their soul, does that mean the Lich King can kill anyone under the right circumstances. Also why didn't Arthas form a plan and take a legion of scourge to bring down Kil'Jaeden in a surprise attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    If one hit from Frostmourne can kill someone and steal their soul, does that mean the Lich King can kill anyone under the right circumstances. Also why didn't Arthas form a plan and take a legion of scourge to bring down Kil'Jaeden in a surprise attack?
    ....Sargeras would obliterate Frostmourne and the Lich King.

Kil'Jaeden would be a hard match for the Lich King.

Frostmourne isn't as powerful as you think it is.

End of thread. Solved.

Whose to say those you named even have souls to steal?

Seeing as how he hit my tank plenty of times with the sword... I don't think simply hitting them (or rather, slashing/stabbing them) with Frostmourne kills them. It's probably like an activated effect.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 11:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Whose to say those you named even have souls to steal?
    I almost want to say one of those guys have a title of "The Soul Stealer", so I'm pretty sure they have A soul to give...

I'm probably super wrong about that though >.>
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Kil'jaeden created the Lich King from the spirit of the orcish shaman Ner'zhul , im pretty sure Frostmourne cannot handle to kill its creators or maybe demons dont have souls lol , cuz Frostmourne takes souls!
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻,

I'm pretty sure it has to land the killing blow to take their soul...

10+ Year Old Account
    "Could God make a rock so heavy that he himself could not lift it?" <<< these are the kinds of questions that result from think like OP.

Since God isn't real, we will never know. Concurrently, since the Lich King, Kil'Jeaden, and Sargeras are merely story characters (and such are subject to the flaws of Deus Ex Machina, or worse... the RetCon) we can never truly know why such events did, did not, or will, will not happen.

Infracted. Keep religion bashing out of the discussion
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-12-20 at 02:16 PM.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

The Legion created the Lich King, created Frostmourne, created every part of him. The Lich King trying to take out Kil'Jaeden like that -- or Archimonde for that matter* -- would have gone about as well as Darion's attempt to take on Arthas at Light's Hope did. Sargeras = all that squared. I can buy in when people imagine a scenario where the Lich Bolvar rallies the Scourge against the Legion, but the idea that he would actually be greater than its masters in some way is just flawed.

*And, in point of fact, the Lich King 1.0 and Arthas went out of their way to push Archimonde and Tichondrius into the path of other dangers. Even then it seemed a given that the Legion would be able to have its way with toys that it had created for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I almost want to say one of those guys have a title of "The Soul Stealer", so I'm pretty sure they have A soul to give...

I'm probably super wrong about that though >.>
    The act of stealing souls does not require having one, and not having your own is even more motivation to collect them. It's also somewhat of a safety since it can't backfire on you with nothing to take.

Considering all of the Lich King's power came from Kil'jaeden in the first place I doubt the Lich King would be any kind of match for him. I'm also not sure he had the power to travel to the legion's main base (if he even knows where it is). Also the Burning Legion outnumber the Scourge like a thousand to one.

Considering Kil'Jaeden created the Lich King, I find it difficult to believe the Lich King could do much to him, let alone Sargeras.

And while the Lich King is a great character, where exactly his power came from is really a bit contrived. Can Kil'Jaeden just make Lich Kings at will? Did Ner'zhul absorb some exotic power while he was traversing the Nether? Not to mention the armor and Frostmourne have REALLY confusing origins. Again, how were such powerful artifacts seemingly produced out of nowhere? Frostmourne was supposedly created by the Nathrezim, and yet the Dreadlords don't seem to have any artifact with that kind of power. And if they're so powerful, why in the world would Kil'Jaeden give them to someone he already knew was untrustworthy?

Playing along though, let's remember that Frostmourne was used to slay (or not, I really don't understand that ret-con particularly well) Mal'Ganis, but did not absorb his soul. So there's no evidence that Frostmourne has any sort of special powers against anyone beside mortals. Didn't even kill Illidan. So doesn't have the best record in the world against demons really.
    Last edited by Nekosom; 2012-12-20 at 05:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Lich King would be a good ally to have when confronting the legion tho. It doesnt make sense, but I kind of hope that either bolvar or somehow a redeemed and ressurected arthas and a redeemed Illidan would be generals in the war against the legion, as would the old gods. I like the idea of enemy's uniting under a truce to take out their shared greatest enemy.

plain and simple..no..the fact that blizzard already stated when we get to this very fight? we will all have weapons equal or greater than any lore weapon on azeroth. i mean hes the strongest titan in the wow universe.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    "Could God make a rock so heavy that he himself could not lift it?" <<< these are the kinds of questions that result from think like OP.

Since God isn't real, we will never know. Concurrently, since the Lich King, Kil'Jeaden, and Sargeras are merely story characters (and such are subject to the flaws of Deus Ex Machina, or worse... the RetCon) we can never truly know why such events did, did not, or will, will not happen.
    "How do you find out if someone is an atheist on the internet?"
    "You don't. They make a point of it to tell you."

Anyway... I don't believe the Lich King would be able to destroy Sargeras. I'm also dubious about a 1v1 with Kil'Jaeden... but if the Lich King had the scourge backing him, I'd side with him winning.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Lich King was indeed created (partly) by the Legion. But wasn't Arthas sent to end Ner'zhul/The Lich King, only instead he merged with him forming something even more powerful?
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Sargeras would only need to look at the lich king and he would prolly just burst into flames

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    The Lich King was indeed created (partly) by the Legion. But wasn't Arthas sent to end Ner'zhul/The Lich King, only instead he merged with him forming something even more powerful?
    The lich king (Ner'zhul) reached out to Arthas via frostmourne to use him as a mobile host, as the Lich king knew that the burning legion was going to get rid of him eventually... Arthas then merged with the Lich King, and, well... the rest goes on.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to wonder how powerful Deathwing was compared to Kil'Jaeden when he was empowered by the old gods. Also if LK was empowered by the old gods would he have been as powerful as deathwing.

Kil'jaeden made Frostmourne so I doubt it's that dangerous to him. Let alone Sargeras.

And yeah, they probably don't even have souls anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to wonder how powerful Deathwing was compared to Kil'Jaeden when he was empowered by the old gods. Also if LK was empowered by the old gods would he have been as powerful as deathwing.
    I'd say Deathwing would have been more than a match for Kil'Jaeden. As for the Lich King... I guess that's a maybe, but there wasn't a solid "LK-Old God BFF" relation established... everything in game points to them being at some point of contention with one another.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.