Richest people in History

So while watching the preview for the new Spartacus season, I did a google search of Marcus Crassus' net worth at the time. And with this came a list of the richest people of all time. With Crassus leading the pack by far with a 2 trillion dollar net worth. Keep in mind this is translated to todays currency.

http://www.instash.com/top-10-richest-men-of-all-time

Deleted

Creepy, Like those statues that are alive at night ;<

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    So while watching the preview for the new Spartacus season, I did a google search of Marcus Crassus' net worth at the time. And with this came a list of the richest people of all time. With Crassus leading the pack by far with a 2 trillion dollar net worth. Keep in mind this is translated to todays currency.

http://www.instash.com/top-10-richest-men-of-all-time
    Actually I believe the method they use is to translate a value into what it would buy in gold at the time compared to the same amount of gold today.

That said, Crassus is undoubtedly the wealthiest man in history. I believe it was historically accurate to say his worth was equivalent to the entire Roman Treasury.

Now before you go dick riding him... you may want to learn HOW he earned that wealth.

Deleted
    Wasn't the Rothschild-dude the main villain of that American Dream movie?

In any way, he seems like a major dick.

Good read learned a few new things.

Deleted
    Rothschild second place, sounds good. I am one of the conspiracy theorists, especially now about how his grand^x son managed to ruin the middle-east besides the US/Russia.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 12:06 AM ----------

Marcus also spread his dna over the Mediterranean. he is the roman Ghengis khan.
    Last edited by mmoc058e0f1fe5; 2013-01-06 at 11:24 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Wasn't the Rothschild-dude the main villain of that American Dream movie?

In any way, he seems like a major dick.
    haha, they were the personal bankers for entire countries.

lots of money

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Actually I believe the method they use is to translate a value into what it would buy in gold at the time compared to the same amount of gold today.

That said, Crassus is undoubtedly the wealthiest man in history. I believe it was historically accurate to say his worth was equivalent to the entire Roman Treasury.

Now before you go dick riding him... you may want to learn HOW he earned that wealth.
    Lol. I am not "dick riding him". I know exactly how he got his wealth. Actually, anyone that has billions of dollars have done shady shit to get it. You don't get to those kinds of numbers while being a totally moral person.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    If I have learned one thing in my life, it's that gold-diggers and hangers on don't give a damn how you got your money, they only care how much of it they can get and what they have to do to get it.

Unless I misread your meaning, and you were suggesting a profitable business model. Not for nothing, but almost every member of the US Government goes home(if they ever leave) a lot richer than when they arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayonel View Post
    If I have learned one thing in my life, it's that gold-diggers and hangers on don't give a damn how you got your money, they only care how much of it they can get and what they have to do to get it.

Unless I misread your meaning, and you were suggesting a profitable business model. Not for nothing, but almost every member of the US Government goes home(if they ever leave) a lot richer than when they arrived.
    Crassus got his wealth primarily by buying a bunch of slaves. He'd look for houses that were on fire (None he ever set himself to my knowledge) and offer the owners a deal. He'd offer the family money for the house/property (usually not much) and, if accepted, his slaves would put the fire out, saving the rest of the property. Then he'd flip it and sell it for tens, hundreds... maybe thousands times more than he paid.

If they didn't pay he'd walk away and let the entire thing burn to the ground, destroying all their possessions.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Aunt works as a nurse for a relative of Vanderbilt i believe. They pay damn well.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Lol. I am not "dick riding him". I know exactly how he got his wealth. Actually, anyone that has billions of dollars have done shady shit to get it. You don't get to those kinds of numbers while being a totally moral person.
    if speculating and maximizing profits falls under the definition of "not moral" then it's obvious that a moral person can't reach those numbers, but i think there are a lot of "Good Guys" with billions...Larry Page and Sergey Brin (Google) seems the best example, even Gates with all that charity

it's still pretty obvious that Crassus was a doucebag

It is said that after receiving word of houses being on fire, Crassus would arrive with an army of 500 “firefighters” and attempt to offer a modest sum for the property. If the offer was refused, Crassus would let the property burn to the ground.

this is why i laugh when people say they want government out of every aspect of their lives.

The owners of private banks.

The first guy who thought of paper money was a genius. He gets gold, whereas everyone else gets a slip of paper saying "the gold you gave me is worth this much".

When more and more people used paper and not gold, the banker had all the gold (with actual value) whereas the true value of paper money could fluctuate like crazy.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    Meh it doesn't take into account the amount of services availeable to them.
    Person with 50k annual income today has more "wealth" in services availeable than Marcus Crassus with 2 trillion when he lived.

How does prince of Saudi Arabia compare?
    Is there a reason that kings aren't mentioned? perhaps these are non-royalty wealthiest people? I can't believe people who own Saudi Arabia don't have few hundred billion dollars.
    What would be the reason to omit royalty?

Oh that Spartacus series is da bomb...

Just a shame that new chump never reaches the leather sandals of Andy Whitfield... Also the new Naevia is much less hot.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 03:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    How does prince of Saudi Arabia compare?
    Is there a reason that kings aren't mentioned? perhaps these are non-royalty wealthiest people? I can't believe people who own Saudi Arabia don't have few hundred billion dollars.
    What would be the reason to omit royalty?
    There are two royals in the list posted...