10+ Year Old Account

Optimising ele dmg vs Amber-Shaper Un'Sok heroic

I was wondering what fellow ele shamans see as their best role vs Amber-Shaper Un'Sok on 10m heroic. We run with blood dk - prot war / rdruid - hpally - disc / - boomkin - spriest - ele - fire mage - rogue. Were close to P3 tonight but figured we were spending more time in P2 than logs we saw on WoL. We had our rogue mainly focussing on amber blobs, and the rest of us would do a bit of everything. Which resulted in me (ele) often flame shock an amber to have it killed by someone else before I could get a LvB off. I.e. seems like a lot of wasted GCDs from everyone to me. At certain times I could get the adds down really fast with chain lightning (glyphed) spam, but they are not always close to eachother. Nor does it seems to be good practise to have our 3 dotters dot up an add to kill it 2 seconds later with a lava burst + ele blast crit.

So after the raid we discussed a little bit how we could optimise our dps for tomorrow. Our rogue 'complained' that he would spend a lot of time running around chasing adds that would sometimes die immediately by the casters, and that he saw plenty of logs where rogues would just cleave off the monstrosity on the reshaped target, htting a blob now and then. So the idea is basically for me to unglyph CL and cleave off the reshaped target doing my normal single target rotation where CL replaces LvB, have our rogue on the monstrosity and let our spriest / mage / boomkin take care of the amber blobs with their dots. Everyone obviously swaps when extra damage is required. To me this sounds like everyone makes better use of their specs strength, which should result in a faster phase 2.

So I was wondering how other ele shamans see this fight, i.e. what their duty was (and/or any other tips/comments about this fight in general from an ele PoV).

I'm an elemental shaman progressing heroic modes as well and I believe you should leave the Spriest + boomkin full dotting the ambers. That should be enough to kill them without wasting dps.

Focus your constructed with the normal rotation replacing lightning bolt with chain lightning and make sure to leave a flame shock up on the boss as well, the extra procs from lava burst make it worth the GCD.

Changing targets all the time and killing adds is the worst thing you can do as an ele shammy, that's why our dps is so low on fights like will of the emperor. But that's cause we can't chain lightning properly, otherwise we would rock the house ( like ghosts in feng the accursed or adds in elegon ).

Leave your rogue at the boss, the worst thing you can do is put a melee to handle the adds, too much time lost with travel time.

And for last phase, if you can optimize everyone on the construct its possible to stack boss and monstrosity at the same time, starting phase 3 with some stacks built up already, making it A LOT easier.

PS : Another thing, always take guidance talent for this fight, the extra damage make it THE BEST HEALING CD IN THE GAME comboed with ascendance, you can EASILY top the entire raid in a few seconds.
    Last edited by Wartide_ysera; 2013-01-07 at 02:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wartide_ysera View Post
    And for last phase, if you can optimize everyone on the construct its possible to stack boss and monstrosity at the same time, starting phase 3 with some stacks built up already, making it A LOT easier.
    What do you mean with this? We should have 60+ stacks on the boss when going into P3, we were under the assumption that if stacks fall off on the boss it means a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    What do you mean with this? We should have 60+ stacks on the boss when going into P3, we were under the assumption that if stacks fall off on the boss it means a wipe.
    I wouldn't say no massive stacking = wipe, but it is yes the strategy my guild uses and so far as I can tell the best one, I was under the impression you were stacking the monstrosity to end the phase faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was under the impression you were stacking the monstrosity to end the phase faster.
    We try to stack both, with the 1st MC'd tank to keep up stacks on the boss in P2, and help on the monstrosity between reshapes. Stacks on boss never fall off, on the monstrosity now and then, which shouldn't be a problem in terms of dmg tomorrow once we get our rogue on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Focus your constructed with the normal rotation replacing lightning bolt with chain lightning and make sure to leave a flame shock up on the boss as well, the extra procs from lava burst make it worth the GCD.
    Noooo. Never multidot when running a CL filled single target rotation. It is a DPS loss, especially if there is potential to hit more than 2 targets with CL, which is most definitely the case here.

Also, Zenga, I saw up a bit higher that you said you're replacing LvB with CL. I'm guessing that was a typo and you meant LB (not LvB), but I did want to make sure.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruionmel View Post
    Also, Zenga, I saw up a bit higher that you said you're replacing LvB with CL. I'm guessing that was a typo and you meant LB (not LvB), but I did want to make sure.
    No man, I replace lava burst in the rotation and just spam lightning bolts and chain lightnings, lava burst is a pretty useless spell anyway! Kidding aside, it was indeed a typo.