Poll: Have you tried Shark Fin Soup before?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wedo the same if not worse to cows chickens and pigs everyday. Yet this is odd?

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 01:58 PM ----------

I keep forgetting you people value one kinda life different from another. Still dont quite understand that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Its a terrible practice, they cut the fin off the shark and throw it back into the sea to die a slow death. For this reason I will never eat shark fin soup.
    That's shocking if it's true. I will never become a vegetarian, but to let an animal suffer is just sick. A quick death should always be the case.

My issue is the waste, other parts of the shark are edible (from what I gather, anyway) but they toss them back into the ocean because a given boat's hull full of fins is worth more than a boat full of whole sharks.

It would be no different if a rancher just lopped off a cow's two front legs and left the rest of it to rot in the field.

Nothing wrong with eating fin soup, but there is something terribly wrong with such terrible waste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by God8010 View Post

I keep forgetting you people value one kinda life different from another. Still dont quite understand that.
    Cutting a chickens head off and killing a cow instantly with an electric rod is no where near the same as this.

Quote Originally Posted by God8010 View Post

Your logic would be correct if we used just the breast meat of a chicken and discarded the rest, but we don't. Some people don't waste any of it, I buy whole chickens and feed my dogs the parts that I don't eat because of my mental inability not because it's unhealthy.

We did something like this in the US.

See 19th century bison hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    *SNIP*
    First off: Your link is to some newspaper site I've never heard of. That doesn't mean it's necessarily bullocks, but it probably is. To add to that, it's a report from a Dutch animal activist group, which skews the numbers. And to add to that: Yeah; that's mostly pets. It's horrible, I know, but unfortunately, pet-owners rarely get checked by government agencies. I was referring to livestock (though it also applies to laboratory-animals). So again; not a good link.

The donkey: Probably not as popular... But popular in a certain region, at least.

Your link on the sashimi:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDi-dlgukA0
    Now; I'm not going to watch that. I've got no problems watching a butchering, or even killing an animal, but that just makes me sick.

Now; as for cruelty versus brutality: True, hacking away at tuna is cruel because the animal's suffering clearly isn't viewed as important as the time it takes to catch them. Meaning that time has priority over reduced suffering. In that, it is cruel... But at least it's relatively quick.

If sealing is done improperly, by not verifying the animal's death before taking it apart (and by not using the animal, but only hunt them for the price of their hides), then that should be rectified, and proper hunting techniques should definitely be enforced.
    Again; two wrongs do not make a right.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-01-07 at 07:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there isn't enough food to go round already. Why the living fuck do they have to eat anything that breathes.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    We did something like this in the US.

See 19th century bison hunting...
    At least then it was for food and most of the bison was used.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll try anything once as long as it doesn't have mayonnaise, but it does kind of gross me out how they treat the poor sharks. I very rarely eat meat anyway, but if I were visiting a country where it was a cultural dish I'd give it a try just based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    At least then it was for food and most of the bison was used.

Nope...

"Bison were hunted almost to extinction in the 19th century and were reduced to a few hundred by the mid-1880s. They were hunted for their skins, with the rest of the animal left behind to decay on the ground.[4] After the animals rotted, their bones were collected and shipped back east in large quantities."

I have tried it, but its really nothing special. I eat mako steaks all the time, to me its just a cheaper swordfish.steak.

We should cut off arms and legs off people doing this and throw them into the water and see how the feel.

Fucking messed up world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindstripper View Post
    Except it's totally not. It's the EXACT SAME THING. Tell me, do you eat fish? Do you know how most fish that aren't farmed are caught? In ways that do much crueler things to animals that aren't the target of the fishing than cutting the fins off a shark. Have you ever seen the inside of chicken "farm"? Or pork? It's disgusting. Inhumane. And the only people who give a shit are the people that are really extreme about animal rights. The "I don't eat anything with a face" kind of people. And yet it's all the same. And I don't give a shit. Yeah it sucks that they don't take the meat and use it. But you know what? At the end of the day none of you are going to actually get up and do anything about it. Not a single person in this thread is going to get off their lazy asses, shut off the video games and the tv, and take time off of work and play time to actively participate in the kinds of protests and activism that would get this kind of thing to change. And that's why I stopped giving a shit about this kind of crap a long time ago. I don't have to eat it, and I won't be alive long enough to see the species go extinct, and nobody else is going to do anything about it. So how about you all stop being bloody hypocrites and eat your goddamn food. Millions of feeling animals suffered and died so that could reach your plate, the least you can do is make their suffering not be in vain.
    I do part time at the Humane Society. And I consult with the ASPCA animal cruelty investigations team in my area. So I guess not everyone just sits back and bitches about it as you claim.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Nope...

"Bison were hunted almost to extinction in the 19th century and were reduced to a few hundred by the mid-1880s. They were hunted for their skins, with the rest of the animal left behind to decay on the ground.[4] After the animals rotted, their bones were collected and shipped back east in large quantities."
    Hides serve a function as well. It has an actual practical use. Had the fins and horns actually had medical properties then it would be a whole other conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Hides serve a function as well. It has an actual practical use. Had the fins and horns actually had medical properties then it would be a whole other conversation.
    Fins = soup.

Hides = clothing.

Everything else = waste.

We can be totally against it, but 2 billion people are for it. Seriously just need to face reality here that sharks in this part of the world will shortly be exstinct right along with whales also. Smith in the Matrix was right we are like locust destroying everything we touch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    We can be totally against it, but 2 billion people are for it. Seriously just need to face reality here that sharks in this part of the world will shortly be exstinct right along with whales also. Smith in the Matrix was right we are like locust destroying everything we touch.
    I see this as the same kind of issue that whaling is in Japan and Norway, and the killing of seals in Iceland, and bullfighting in Mexico, Peru, and Spain. It's THEIR culture, who are we to outlaw things from the other side of the world that they have been doing for hundreds of generations just because we all of a sudden have some kind of self-righteous aversion to it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor sharks .... *3days later* *play Farcry3* KILL ALL THE SHARKS!

Now... really OT, is really cruel what they do to the animals

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    I see this as the same kind of issue that whaling is in Japan and Norway, and the killing of seals in Iceland. It's THEIR culture, who are we to outlaw things from the other side of the world that they have been doing for hundreds of generations just because we all of a sudden have some kind of self-righteous aversion to it?
    Because it seems thats what this generation is. Its the selfish, self righteous generation. These people who get involved feel they are alwaysright and dont care about anyone elses views but their own. They act like its the best but these people are extremely hypocritical. You.say leave people alone for their sexuality or the way they think, but then attack religion and other cultures. Tbh we really should take our own advice, ignore it. Take care of what happens in your country not the entire world. The chinese will run out of sharks and this will be over.