Poll: Have you tried Shark Fin Soup before?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Is it really worth killing an endangered species for a 5 minute meal? No. Should we make exceptions because it's their "culture"? Fuck no. That's like saying we should continue to let middle-eastern men rape their women "because it's their culture".

This isn't 6000BC. We don't need to be the hunter gatherer anymore. Animals can be farmed and killed humanely, even fish. If people want shark fun soup go ahead, make a farm and do it humanely, leave the wild the fuck alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    I see this as the same kind of issue that whaling is in Japan and Norway, and the killing of seals in Iceland, and bullfighting in Mexico, Peru, and Spain. It's THEIR culture, who are we to outlaw things from the other side of the world that they have been doing for hundreds of generations just because we all of a sudden have some kind of self-righteous aversion to it?
    Well since the Earth is one giant ecosystem, what happens in one part of the world can spread to others. I don't know where to even begin to explain to you, how stupid your statement is. Just because its a part of someone's culture doesn't mean its ok for them to do it. If people can't evolve past their primitive "cultures", then they need to be froced out of it.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Because it seems thats what this generation is. Its the selfish, self righteous generation. These people who get involved feel they are alwaysright and dont care about anyone elses views but their own. They act like its the best but these people are extremely hypocritical. You.say leave people alone for their sexuality or the way they think, but then attack religion and other cultures. Tbh we really should take our own advice, ignore it. Take care of what happens in your country not the entire world. The chinese will run out of sharks and this will be over.
    It is right to attack religion and other cultures if they are doing something that abuses the rights of others, including animals.
    It is not right to attack someone based on their race or sexuality as that is who they are.

There is a difference. I doubt you can see that though as judging by the last part of what you said you prefer to stay ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    Well since the Earth is one giant ecosystem, what happens in one part of the world can spread to others. I don't know where to even begin to explain to you, how stupid your statement is. Just because its a part of someone's culture doesn't mean its ok for them to do it. If people can't evolve past their primitive "cultures", then they need to be froced out of it.
    So then what if somebody thinks your culture is primitive. Do they have the right to force you out of it?

Deleted
    I don't care if people eat shark fin soup, as long as the sharks they're hunting aren't endangered. Wouldn't touch it myself though.

So then what if somebody thinks your culture is primitive. Do they have the right to force you out of it?
    Someone where? This person doesn't exist lol.

Deleted
    If it infringes on certain rights then of course. Nobody is saying they can't make shark fin soup anymore, it's the way they hunt the sharks that is the problem.

China should of grown up a long time ago, considering how advanced they are with technology it's a shame stuff like this lets them down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    If it infringes on certain rights then of course. Nobody is saying they can't make shark fin soup anymore, it's the way they hunt the sharks that is the problem.

China should of grown up a long time ago, considering how advanced they are with technology it's a shame stuff like this lets them down.
    Oh I agree, the way they hunt the sharks is deplorable. But actually, yea, people are saying they shouldn't be able to make the soup anymore. People who are not from China. People who have probably never been to China.

It just doesn't sit well with me. I'd be more inclined to listen to a group of people in China or Hong Kong or Taiwan or whatever who are against it. I'd take them more seriously than a group of self-appointed cultural crusaders from 'Murica or Europe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tasted, was good. This video where Ramsey tastes it seems very biased, of course he can only tell this isn't good, he's the good guy, saying anything good about this would make his popularity drop a huge time (maybe even end his "public" career)

But yeah, terrible fishing / hunting practices there, even for something good this should be changed, at least use the whole fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    This video where Ramsey tastes it seems very biased, of course he can only tell this isn't good, he's the good guy
    lolwut? Since when is Ramsay the "good guy"?

Could be like Bobby Flay, who during a show on the Food Network couldn't get a fish to stop wiggling so he whacked it against the end of the table and began to cut it up. I'm shocked he didn't get taken off the air for that.

Deleted
    Could be like Bobby Flay, who during a show on the Food Network couldn't get a fish to stop wiggling so he whacked it against the end of the table and began to cut it up. I'm shocked he didn't get taken off the air for that.
    For being cruel to a fish while preparing food? Are you serious? And it sounds like he did it out of practicality not malice. Also, it's a fucking fish. A fish!

They have whole programs dedicated to sports fishing, which isn't really anything more than meaningless fish torture for fun. Can't see why mistreating a fish before you cook it is bad.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2013-01-08 at 03:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    lolwut? Since when is Ramsay the "good guy"?
    Since all he does is helping people and trying to prevent waste of anything in all his shows ? He may act like a "bad guy" on the show, since this is what people need to act, and even more because this is what viewers want to see, but all he does in the end is being good/helping everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Since all he does is helping people and trying to prevent waste of anything in all his shows ? He may act like a "bad guy" on the show, since this is what people need to act, and even more because this is what viewers want to see, but all he does in the end is being good/helping everyone.
    Oh, well I've certainly never seen or heard of him acting like that. The only Gordon Ramsay I've ever seen is the guy who screams at people, bullies them, and calls them obscene names while threatening to kick them out of the restaurant business forever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, well I've certainly never seen or heard of him acting like that. The only Gordon Ramsay I've ever seen is the guy who screams at people, bullies them, and calls them obscene names while threatening to kick them out of the restaurant business forever.
    Try looking until the end then, when people are always happy about what he did for them.

Such a giant waste, especially when famine is a problem in some countries. Also, if eating the shark is about prestige, why not eat the whole thing? What makes jellied fins so special?

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    i see no problem with this. You have no qualms about breeding and mass slaughtering cows and pigs. But you take issue with these sharkers merely because attention is brought upon it?

This place REEKS of hypocricy.
    The stupidity inn this one common can't be measured. Thanks sir, you made my day.

On topic; Old news are old, saw this quit a long time ago. Its not so much about taste, its a delicasy. Makes no sence if you ask me, but one can't understand the world always. I surely hope that the local police enforces rules about fishermens, that are known to hunt sharks just for some stupid flappy fin.

Edit: PS best soup Goullash ftw! Now thats a delicasy
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Waste? Plenty of wasteful practices in the world, including my country.

Cruel? You do realize that we cook shell fish while they are alive???
    Last edited by Purlina; 2013-01-08 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    It is right to attack religion and other cultures if they are doing something that abuses the rights of others, including animals.
    It is not right to attack someone based on their race or sexuality as that is who they are.

There is a difference. I doubt you can see that though as judging by the last part of what you said you prefer to stay ignorant.
    You do understand we are.talking about fish right? I just fail to see.the big deal. Same with whales. If they arent endangered who are you to say its wrong? What makes you a guru in whats right and wrong? Where do you get that authority? When people learn to just worry about their own culture and ignore the rest of the world it will be a better place.

The fish you eat was not killed in a quick way, it has slowly suffocated on the deck of a fish trawler. The sharks with cut off fins will die quicker than the average Atlantic cod that is used in fish sticks and other very common fish based products. We also torture many other animals the way we raise them.

If you eat eggs you should know that the male baby chicks of the egg-laying hybrids are ground up alive. Don't believe me?:

The henns lay an egg every day and after 12 months her egg laying starts to decline. Now comes the cruel part. They get moulted. This involves complete withdrawal of food (and sometimes water) for 7–14 days or sufficiently long to cause a body weight loss of 25 to 35%. This stimulates the hen to lose her feathers, but also reinvigorates egg-production. Some flocks may be force moulted several times. 75% of all flocks are moulted in the US.

We need to stop eating meat, at least reduce the ammount drastical. If you only have meat on sunday you won't suffer from any malnutrition ever and would reduce the demand for meat producing fabrics.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2013-01-08 at 05:40 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    The fish you eat was not killed in a quick way, it has slowly suffocated on the deck of a fish trawler. The sharks with cut off fins will die quicker than the average Atlantic cod that is used in fish sticks and other very common fish based products. We also torture many other animals the way we raise them.

If you eat eggs you should know that the male baby chicks of the egg-laying hybrids are ground up alive. Don't believe me?:

The henns lay an egg every day and after 12 months her egg laying starts to decline. Now comes the cruel part. They get moulted. This involves complete withdrawal of food (and sometimes water) for 7–14 days or sufficiently long to cause a body weight loss of 25 to 35%. This stimulates the hen to lose her feathers, but also reinvigorates egg-production. Some flocks may be force moulted several times. 75% of all flocks are moulted in the US.

We need to stop eating meat, at least reduce the ammount drastical. If you only have meat on sunday you won't suffer from any malnutrition ever and would reduce the demand for meat producing fabrics.
    Haha i read your whole post all excited.about your points then you let me down. Thes are not pets, they dont need to have a good life they are.food. I dont care how it dies as long as its sanitary for me to eat. I love meat and fish. I hunt and fish and string trout which is far more abusive than killing a shark but its a common practice in the us. Have you ever dealt with a gut shot deer. Takes up to 8 hours.to poison it self to death. We are predators deal with it.