Deleted

CM Storm Trigger / quickfire tk

I was just wondering whether any of you guys had any experience with either of these keyboards? I personally like the look of the quickfire better due to some of the features like lockable function keys, however I'm not sure whether I'd like the lack of the number pad. What other decent mechanical keyboards are there around a similar price range? Had a look round but though I'd get a second opinion.

Might be worth noting that I'm in the UK so preferably any suggestions should be available over here cheers.

Around the same quality with as many options? None, Coolermaster basically dominates the $50-$90 ranged mechanical keyboards. Idk how you'd feel about the missing number pad, but if you like the quickfire, buy a normal one not a RAPID. Quickfire Rapids have no numpad, pretty sure the storm trigger has a rapid version missing numpad as well.

Deleted
    If I was to get either it would be the quickfire tk or the standard trigger. The trigger is full size but the lack of a lockable function key puts me off slightly. The quickfire tk has a number pad and the standard delete/home key etc (switch between them with num lock) which might get a bit annoying when using programs like excel.

I think I'd pick the Quickfire Tk over the trigger and I guess if need be I could get a standalone num pad or use a different keyboard for spreadsheet work.

Quote Originally Posted by Appled View Post
    If I was to get either it would be the quickfire tk or the standard trigger. The trigger is full size but the lack of a lockable function key puts me off slightly. The quickfire tk has a number pad and the standard delete/home key etc (switch between them with num lock) which might get a bit annoying when using programs like excel.

I think I'd pick the Quickfire Tk over the trigger and I guess if need be I could get a standalone num pad or use a different keyboard for spreadsheet work.
    Keep in mind 2 things, if you do more than PC gaming a gaming keyboard may not be the ideal solution. Imo from the sounds of it losing the use of the numpad would be more discerning than any other problems you have listed. Myself I'd go numpadless w/o an issue as I have it on my G600 and use it on my G600 rather than moving my hand, tbh its come in more handy in After Effects, Cryengine, and a multitude of other development programs than it does in gaming rofl.

Deleted
    I don't do much else apart from uni work which occasionally involves excel but mainly word processing. Again, I've got my old razer tarantula that I'm currently using that could always be used if really need be. I'm kind of limiting myself with the price but being a student I can't spend much more, I'm also quite bothered by aesthetics so the red led back lights and the fact it's in my price range is really drawing me towards it haha.

I picked up a Trigger which I've since very reluctantly shelved.

It's an excellent keyboard, with beautiful build quality & great feel.

If you're only running Windows I recommend it highly.

However if you ever want to use it for Unix or MacOS, the macro keys will be 1KRO without the windows-only software (which from memory isn't even turned on by default under Windows). Unfortunately I need a three OS capable keyboard, which just doesn't exist in a mechanical keyboard outside Razer products (urgh...), so I reluctantly shelved it. It's left me half tempted to setup a windows only pure gaming machine just so I can use it tbh.

Can't speak to the Quickfire, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't an identical story for quality & windows-only-ness.

Edit: And I've heard some mixed reports about how well the Trigger software works on Windows 8 btw, so if you've already upgraded I'd be cautious.
    Last edited by lakhesis; 2013-01-07 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    I picked up a Trigger which I've since very reluctantly shelved.

It's an excellent keyboard, with beautiful build quality & great feel.

If you're only running Windows I recommend it highly.

However if you ever want to use it for Unix or MacOS, the macro keys will be 1KRO without the windows-only software (which from memory isn't even turned on by default under Windows). Unfortunately I need a three OS capable keyboard, which just doesn't exist in a mechanical keyboard outside Razer products (urgh...), so I reluctantly shelved it. It's left me half tempted to setup a windows only pure gaming machine just so I can use it tbh.

Can't speak to the Quickfire, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't an identical story for quality & windows-only-ness.

Edit: And I've heard some mixed reports about how well the Trigger software works on Windows 8 btw, so if you've already upgraded I'd be cautious.
    While this can and does seem to be a valid complaint, it unfortunately is not. Outside of windows you hear nothing but problems for gaming, no modern games requiring a precision keyboard of mouse run on anything but windows and more rarely OSX, w/o some type of community work around. So while it isn't too rare to find people using these operating systems more so on the mac, they are not "Gaming" machines regardless of the hardware, which again goes back to when you buy a GAMING keyboard you need to know that you wouldn't need something else. Hmmmm here this is all I can find for ya, http://code.google.com/p/ducky-decode/

I use the QuickFire Rapid in OSX and have no issues. I have 3 QuickFire Rapids in fact. Brown, Blue and Red.

QuickFire Rapids are made by Costar.
    Storm Trigger and QF Rapid Pro are made by iOne.

Costar is typically regarded as better. However I can't say if that is the case first hand. They also supply Rosewill and those have some notorious issues. One of my QuickFire Rapid (the Red) is defective with the left alt key not working. Don't have the time RMA it yet, but I am pretty happy with the other 2 I got.

btw I went through like 4x keyboards with MX Reds and haven't had any luck (2x Rosewill, 2x CM QF Rapids). Probably just my luck. Anyway thinking of just returning my defective one and getting another Blue instead.
    Last edited by Jinto; 2013-01-07 at 05:01 PM.