Deleted

[Moonkin-advice needed] Low dps on Garalon

Hi guys,

I need your help here...
    We recently bumped into a wall with garalon with our best try at 2% (when all the stars were aligned correctly)
    Kitting is done with a war, a dk and 2 heals.

I tried to optimize my stuff according to EJ, going full crit for these sort of fights. But I am still the lowest ranged dps.
    So I am wondering if some of you could point me what I am doing wrong - and even shame me with it in front of everyone - I dont care as long as I can fix it....

Here is a log of our last evening on that boss
    w w w. worldoflogs. com / reports/ rt-7defv0jnxy9851bh/

EDIT : european armory -> koyote on kirin tor

Thanks
    Last edited by mmoc496dcd8855; 2013-01-06 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by koyote-asc View Post
    Hi guys,

I need your help here...
    We recently bumped into a wall with garalon with our best try at 2% (when all the stars were aligned correctly)

I tried to optimize my stuff according to EJ, going full crit for these sort of fights. But I am still the lowest ranged dps.
    So I am wondering if some of you could point me what I am doing wrong - and even shame me with it in front of everyone - I dont care as long as I can fix it....

Here is a log of our last evening on that boss
    w w w. worldoflogs. com / reports/ rt-7defv0jnxy9851bh/

Thanks
    If you aren't kiting, you can just stand in the middle and dps the body, 2 melee dps on the legs are enough to keep all legs down...

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    If you aren't kiting, you can just stand in the middle and dps the body, 2 melee dps on the legs are enough to keep all legs down...
    This. My guild just recently killed him. We had a Warrior, Paladin, Warlock and Hunter kiting. I just nuked one leg at the start then switched to the body for the rest of the fight while standing in the middle on the room. You need to remember we're one of the lowest dps as casters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphie View Post
    You need to remember we're one of the lowest dps as casters.
    Wrong. Boomkins are fine right now and please dont turn this into a qq we suck thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mythiix View Post
    Wrong. Boomkins are fine right now and please dont turn this into a qq we suck thread.
    I recently stopped playing my moonkin, not because their damage was low but because it took a lot of effort to output that damage. Moonkins are fine if you have the skill to justify their usefulness.

Anyway I did Garalon on my moonkin, and as a kiter. Like Rayzzz said, if you're not kiting you can just stand near the healers in one place and nuke like mad. If a leg passes your way hop in the zone and kill it for a bit if it's on high health. Make sure your cooldowns aren't wasted, as it's a lot of damage to lose if they are.

Going full crit for 'these sorts of fights', by that I assume you mean multidotting, which is a fine idea in principle, but if the legs are going down quickly (which they should be) dots won't always be running their full duration (less SS procs), so you could also justify going for the first haste cap before crit to improve single target dps since for you it's a straight nuke. Try both and see how you feel.

Nowadays, I find it more useful to simply aim for the first haste breakpoint regardless and DoT everything while cycling through the eclipse states using starsurge procs, particularly on Garalon where the legs won't be up for any significant period of time. A quick example would be:
    - our opener (75 pre lunar -> cast wrath etc)
    - after I've worked my way to solar eclipse, multi-DoT everything and using starsurge procs to push my eclipse bar along
    - once I'm 5-10 energy away from leaving the eclipse then single target nuke to lunar again

For Garalon, stay near the middle (healers will love you for being in range) and DoT the legs while jumping into the circles which are close to you whenever the opportunity arises.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to do high DPS, follow respawning legs around the room and stand in weak spots and nuke legs.

If legs are dieing fast enough already and you want to kill the boss, then just stand with the raid and kill the body while off dotting legs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllen View Post
    I recently stopped playing my moonkin, not because their damage was low but because it took a lot of effort to output that damage. Moonkins are fine if you have the skill to justify their usefulness.

Anyway I did Garalon on my moonkin, and as a kiter. Like Rayzzz said, if you're not kiting you can just stand near the healers in one place and nuke like mad. If a leg passes your way hop in the zone and kill it for a bit if it's on high health. Make sure your cooldowns aren't wasted, as it's a lot of damage to lose if they are.

Going full crit for 'these sorts of fights', by that I assume you mean multidotting, which is a fine idea in principle, but if the legs are going down quickly (which they should be) dots won't always be running their full duration (less SS procs), so you could also justify going for the first haste cap before crit to improve single target dps since for you it's a straight nuke. Try both and see how you feel.
    Moonkin here myself, I actually like boomkins right now, as the good ones are seperated from the less gifted by these sorts of fights. If you can manage to handle good dps, or maintain good dps (ofcourse not optimal) on a fight like this you can put yourself in the top bracket. I kite twice in the fight but I manage to handle the fight in such a way where I still maintain the biggest portion of my dps without multidotting when standing in weakspots. Leg's in our raid only get dps'd by cleaving classes such as Frost DK, Warriors and Rogues. Every other class that benefits in their singletarget from multidotting. Fe. Boomkins or Locks with several procs relating to these sets of dots we multidot whatever we see, yet we don't move an inch unless we have to. Buffing your dots from these weakspots is just a bad graphic of what your dps could be. The raid dps won't increase as actual cleaving classes benefit highly from it. fe. 7m dps to leg + 3.5m cleave => 13.5 to boss when the leg dies. rather than 7m to leg. and 0 to boss or even 1m to boss. During the kiting what I do is, I make sure I'm in solar eclipse or right before solar when I pick up the debuff. I pop barkskin and ams for the initial burst on heroic and then do the following. Wait for orb 1 to pop (not a puddle yet) cast wrath move, cast wrath, move, cast wrath, move. When a crush is about to happen. Delay the wrath and wait for the stun. Precast rejuve if you have to, if you would take damage. I have the 4 set tier 14 bonus and I'm haste capped at the first breakpoint. My crit is somewhere around 29.8% raidbuffed. My current progress is 11/16 heroic. I have 500ilvl equipped. Just to give a representation on my stats.

link didnt work for me but my tip is: Assign ppl to leggs, and have every1 else standings till in middle. Usually meles are enough but if you ahve fiew you migth wanna pick a range class to dps leggs aswell (pick a class that doesnt lose to much dps from movement).
    if ur playing 10man, doing the fight with 2 healers and letting dpsers help kiting will probobly end up giving you higher dps overall then having 3 healers with 2 of them kiting.
    (im assuming your not having 2 healers and letting them kite, since that whould mean your healers are extremly good if they can keep ur grp up and kite at the same time, but if that is the case im having a hard time seeing how you can possible wipe on enrage )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    link didnt work for me but my tip is: Assign ppl to leggs, and have every1 else standings till in middle. Usually meles are enough but if you ahve fiew you migth wanna pick a range class to dps leggs aswell (pick a class that doesnt lose to much dps from movement).
    if ur playing 10man, doing the fight with 2 healers and letting dpsers help kiting will probobly end up giving you higher dps overall then having 3 healers with 2 of them kiting.
    (im assuming your not having 2 healers and letting them kite, since that whould mean your healers are extremly good if they can keep ur grp up and kite at the same time, but if that is the case im having a hard time seeing how you can possible wipe on enrage )
    Indeed we are running with 3 healers.
    thanks for the tips, we'll try again this week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koyote-asc View Post
    Hi guys,

I need your help here...
    If I'm reading this correctly, you are having your melee kite? Unless they are the tanks, which is fine. Ranged should kite. We two heal it, and have the first tank pick it up and get to about 25/26 stacks, then the 2nd tanks grabs it. The 2nd tank will get to 25/26 stacks and then I (a mage) will pick it up kite for until the first tank's stacks fall off and he'll come over and pick it off me. Ranged/heals will stay in the middle, and our melee will attack the legs.

We also lust/hero in the beginning, and we will kill 3 legs. (Looking at him) Front left, back left and then back right and then kite him clockwise. Those 3 legs are easy for the melee to get to, and the ranged can help with the inner legs (left side) if needed and the tanks will slowly kill down the front right leg and save it for the end of the fight. We found doing it this way, our whole raid DPS went up a lot, and never having problems with the enrage timer.