Poll: What raid model?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What raid model would you have?

Classic: Atunement to MC/BWL/AQ and Naxxramas. Long grind for mats to get rep.
    TBC: Attunements like for karazhan, BT, the eye, SSC. Going through every dungeon and doing chain quests.
    WOLK: No atunement, 25 and 10 man seperate lockout and seperate loot. Hardmode switches ulduar mode.
    Cata: Hard raid first tier, 2nd tier being 6 easy bosses and one near impossible hardmode endboss, last tier end of expansion easy and poorly designed.
    MOP: No atunements, rep requirement on items, commendation for alts to ease rep grind on alts. Perfectly tuned difficulties for raids.

What model would you choose, and would you tweak it somehow? If so, how?

Would you also include LFR in this raid model? If so, would it drop loot? Would you make it easier/harder?

Personally I'd like to see the WOLK raid model back. Seperate 10/25 lockouts. As I would run 25 mans with the guild and 10 man on the side with alts. 1 25 man altraid a week aswell. I'd have no LFR, but nerfing the previous tier in a new patch to let people see the content.
    Last edited by a little Kappa; 2013-01-07 at 10:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Both TBC / Wrath styles, but I like more about TBC, so i picked that.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath with LFR would be my choice.

Artificial gating of access is unfun. Let anyone in, those who can't cut it will die anyway.
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrath. Non shared lock out systems 25m > 10m. I actually had FUN during this expansion.

I like having some "attunement" questlines, something that tells you the story about the place, like Temple of the Jade Serpent and Stormstour Brewery. You don't need to do it to enter, but it's there to give you some lore and reason to go there, other than gear progession. And entering the instances to do parts of the quests, meet some of the characters/bosses involved and get a feel of the place before it turns into a hostile area is really nice imo. Only attunement I find alright is if you have to do one raid before you can access another, harder raid in the same tier, like Heart of Fear granting access to Terrace of Eternal Spring.

10/25 should share the same lockout too imo to avoid any reason of having to do both for faster gear progression. I prefer just being a 10-man raider and not have to do 25-man aswell. The LFR/Normal/Heroic modes are alright to me. An easy mode to experience it without too much effort, a standard version with a decent challenge with coordination needed and finally the true challenge where a few mistakes can wipe you.

Hard Mode switches are also welcome, like good ol' Ulduar to add in an extra challenge, but should never be harder than the final boss imo. I also feel the final boss should have an extra phase on Heroic, like in Firelands or Terrace or there should be a Heroic-only boss, both being about the same difficulty, and perhaps not even explained in the dungeon journal to add some of the old ways of having to experience it to learn the mechanics.

Reputation shouldn't be in the way of getting Valor/Justice gear. Reputation should be for storylines, cosmetic stuff, mount/pet collection etc, stuff that's irrelevant in gear progression. The only time I'd wanna see gear gained via reputations are for factions connected to raids, like Avengers of Hyjal or Ashen Verdict. If reputation is only gained via killing mobs or quests taking place inside a raid, then I guess some gear could be accessed as you progress if you still haven't acquired those few drops you want.

Otherwise the reputation model in Dominance/Shieldwall is what I wanna see. As you get more reputation you get more story, and not just from hitting Honored, even at 3400/6000 rep you can get a bit more story.

WotLK no contest. No shared lockout, no attunements that aren't account wide anyway, and I love the hard modes

10+ Year Old Account
    WotLK. I liked separate lockouts and was quite upset when they made them shared. I was in 25 man guilds throughout WotLK and enjoyed having my guild raids and then doing casual 10 man raids with my main or alts near the weekend, sometimes picking up a 25 man pug on my alt on Saturdays.

I do like LFR now, but having been in 10 man guilds since the start of Cataclysm, I long for the days when I had many more people I could rely on to play well and I had more time available to play myself.

Deleted
    I joined in wrath, yet TBC attunements sound interesting and seem logical.

A wrath-baby preferring TBC mechanics? Madness!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Classic: Atunement to MC/BWL/AQ and Naxxramas. Long grind for mats to get rep.
    TBC: Attunements like for karazhan, BT, the eye, SSC. Going through every dungeon and doing chain quests.
    WOLK: No atunement, 25 and 10 man seperate lockout and seperate loot. Hardmode switches ulduar mode.
    Cata: Hard raid first tier, 2nd tier being 6 easy bosses and one near impossible hardmode endboss, last tier end of expansion easy and poorly designed.
    MOP: No atunements, rep requirement on items, commendation for alts to ease rep grind on alts. Perfectly tuned difficulties for raids.

What model would you choose, and would you tweak it somehow? If so, how?

Would you also include LFR in this raid model? If so, would it drop loot? Would you make it easier/harder?

Personally I'd like to see the WOLK raid model back. Seperate 10/25 lockouts. As I would run 25 mans with the guild and 10 man on the side with alts. 1 25 man altraid a week aswell. I'd have no LFR, but nerfing the previous tier in a new patch to let people see the content.
    If you are going to list the MOP rep and gear then you need to list the gearing/badging systems for all of the others as well. In my opinnion it shouldn't be a factor since it isn't required for raiding, especially in MoP more than probably any of the other expansions. There are a lot of things that go in to helping a raider/raids but to list them all such as flasking, enchants, food buffs, etc. would be kind of rediculous so you might as well just leave it at the raid format/requirements to enter.

10 AND 25 with 25 having better loot and no LFCasualcraft.

OP is biased as is the poll, not going to vote.

1 Raid with 12 or so bosses. Little to no trash as it is just an annoying waste of raid time. I could see the argument for multiple raids so if my guild only does like 6 bosses I'm not stuck in a lock out of 6/12 and be unable to pug, but that could be solved with a different raid design than their linear approach.
    I don't think this applies to raiding, but certainly no items hidden behind rep. We already have to spend 2+ weeks of earning valor per item.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

A mix of TBC, WotLK and MoP I'd say. I liked attunements, but maybe make them accountwide. Ulduar/Terrace style hard modes are great. And I feel they got the difficulty just about right in MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do prefer the TBC style, however, it is bad for new players, all players who are forced into a break with RL problems. It can also be a nightmare to recruit and encourages guild poaching.

A mix of TBC and MoP would be best. However, there is no perfect model.

I'm a big fan of attunements, it adds to the story element and felling of the raid.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-01-07 at 02:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the way Ulduar handled hard modes, but I loathed the separate lockout for 10/25man. Went with TBC because of attunements, but having raids designed ONLY for 10man or 25man wasn't a brilliant idea. I was in a guild that couldn't keep 25 active raiders most of the time, thanks to that most of my raiding experience during TBC was restricted to KZ/ZA, managing to get people for gruul at times, only managing to rush through ssc/tk and most of hyjal/bt with the raid boss nerfs pre-wotlk.

A mix between wotlk/tbc would've been great. Attunements and getting to decide whether you want to play 10/25man.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    Wotlk provided us with Ulduar and ICC 2 out of the 3 best raids made (other being Kara) and they where the product of Wrath raiding model that's why wih no hesitation I vote Wrath, the pinnacle of WoW.

Deleted
    Immediately I thought Wrath of the Lich King, then changed to MoP. Only because being in a 10 man guild was a massive disadvantage in regards to access to gear. But the hard modes, and the instances themself (minus TotC) were fantastic and memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudor View Post
    Mmm, dripping with bias. Got to love it.

The closest raid model I enjoy would be MoP (And Cataclysm, since it's the exact same raid model essentially: everything else is either balancing/boss design, or loot design, which I'd class as separate).

I'd actually kind of like to see attunements brought back in some fashion, or at least some kind of quest that leads us into the instance directly. The Klaxxi reputation (and Dread Wastes in general) was kind of like this for Heart of Fear and by extension, Terrace, but I'd say it has to go further.

Account-wide attunements would be great, I think. Nothing too strenuous, just some sort of questline that guides you into the instance, then you get a questline that takes you through the raid as well. A bit like the quest through Black Temple, really.

But yeah, account-wide so you don't have to attune alts, and nothing too strenuous to allow you into the raid in the first place. Or maybe just require it of the raid leader, a bit like the 'attunement' to get into Terrace now.

That's honestly the only change I'd like to make. Some sort of story/quest reason to actually go to the raid instance. While HoF kind of had this, Mogu'shan Vaults just pops up out of nowhere. We just decide to go there one day because... Well, it seems like a fun idea?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    id say a mixture or wrath and tbc would be my ideal model but i voted for tbc. while i will admit the attunement process in tbc was somewhat long i felt like i achieved something in game when i was able to get into karazhan. i felt accomplished when i had all the keys to unlock the heroic modes. in wrath i felt like the seperate lockouts always gave me something to do. i was capable of doing 10 mans with our guild on friday/saturday nights and throughout the week if there was a 25 man pug going i could hop in and maybe snag some gear to help our guild runs out.

actually on sundays on my server there was generally about 3 or 4 guilds that participated in a 25 man gold bid run that was always entertaining, fun, and profitable. even if i didnt get any loot i was almost always guarenteed to make 5-10k gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting topic, bravo! Each expansion has had a little of something I liked, so this does make me think.

From BC: personally I think attunements were fun. They don't have to be Onyxia-style torture-fests that take a week or longer to finish, but a basic questline/activity that makes you understand exactly WHY you're raiding these places (though Mists does do a good job of making these things clear). For instance imagine the ICC dungeons (5 mans)... clearing those rewards you with the item you need to enter ICC. Something relatively basic like that.

From Wrath: non-shared lockouts. While I understand Blizzard's logic in adding a shared lockout - 5 difficulties of one raid that people could do weekly would likely be a worse burnout than dailies - I would at least like the option to do 10 and 25 normal. Maybe restrict us to 2 lockouts, e.g. 1 normal and 1 heroic, 1 10man and 1 25man, etc. But let us do both if we wish, IMO.

From Cataclysm: Raid Finder and same items from 10 and 25. While I have no issues with 25s awarding slightly better versions of said items, I would hate it if we went back to the days of completely different items between 10 and 25.

As for LFR, I appreciate what it does. I know many don't, but I know a lot of damn good WoW players who just can't raid between having children, working 50+ hours a week, odd work schedules, etc. Doesn't make them 'lolbad casualz' - they're just people with too much on their plate to commit to that kind of regular, intensely focused play.