Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryDude View Post
    I still wait for my Hellboy reference. Red Mogu, blue Jinyu, hunting for Sha or something like that
    Maybe he will get some some Hellboy quotes like Professor Putricide got from Futurama

I'm sorry lol I just don't see it, I think you're trying to hard. Perhaps it's supposed to be a reference, but it looks nothing like Iron man. This is iron man:

Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    I'm sorry lol I just don't see it, I think you're trying to hard. Perhaps it's supposed to be a reference, but it looks nothing like Iron man. This is iron man:[/IMG]
    Yeh i surely do not see the same color and same name.... Of all the colors and names in the world, they are surely not related at all.
    They both have no relation to electricity, nope. The mogu's thing in his chest definitely looks nothing like an ark reactor.

I'm sorry lol I just don't see it, I think you're trying to hard. Perhaps it's supposed to be a reference, but it looks nothing like Iron man. This is iron man:

Because if they don't look exactly like each other,it's not a reference right?

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    I don't recall Iron Man having a glowing crotch guard.
    Iron Qon built that in a cave... with a bunch of scraps!

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Yeh i surely do not see the same color and same name.... Of all the colors and names in the world, they are surely not related at all.
    They both have no relation to electricity, nope. The mogu's thing in his chest definitely looks nothing like an ark reactor.
    You see what you want to see.
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

You see what you want to see.
    I see references.

I see references.
    Which is what you want to see...

The only reference I see is in his name.

WoW's cultural references, are by no means subtle, this would be one of their more subtle references if a reference at all.

Which is what you want to see...

The only reference I see is in his name.

WoW's cultural references, are by no means subtle, this would be one of their more subtle references if a reference at all.
    Of all the colors out there, this guy not only shares a similar name, but also the exact same colors as iron man. It's really not that hard to understand why people can easily see this. If we find out that this guy is made out of iron...

Some are subtle, some are not. As far as i know, Blizzard has no rule as to how they incorporate pop references.

Deleted
    Do you guys really need a blue post to point out the obvious? The name, the colors, the fact Blizzard have always had cultural references in the game. It does not have to be an exact replica to be a reference. Look at the NPC names for a huge clue, you'll be telling me next that the elf socialite "Haris Pilton" is not a reference to Paris Hilton because it looks nothing like her. Blizzard make references but they also don't want to be sued...

He's "Iron" so Blizz have done him in the same colour scheme as IronMan, which is cool. That's it though. I don't think anyone's saying they look the same and you might mistake them for eachother if they were stood in the same room or something.

It's an obviously intentional throw away reference, but it's not like they've tried to recreate Ironman in mogu form.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Considering the Mogu penchant for flesh shaping magic, he might very well be at least partly made of iron. There are Titan constructs that are made of metal and are known to have turned into fleshy beings, so it's not out of the question. In any case, this guy does bear enough resemblance to Iron Man that he's probably a reference. There are subtle references in this game. They do exist. For example, the lightning quilen add in this fight is named Quet'zal. i.e. Quetzalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent, a Mesoamerican deity that has appeared in some other games as a lighting-type elemental. I'm sure the other two are probably referencing other things, but I don't know what they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    They look pretty close. Mogu has almost no armor (mostly red skin) and it has extra features like horns.

http://shrani.si/f/1e/cF/3KDMWqQG/resablance.jpg
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    They look pretty close. Mogu has almost no armor (mostly red skin) and it has extra features like horns.

http://shrani.si/f/1e/cF/3KDMWqQG/resablance.jpg
    His skin is the armor. Armor on armor. Super badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Maybe actually reference to Thor?
    You are somewhat close in your statement. The Japanese thunder god was Raijin. Who shares some similarities with Thor of the Norse mythology. Being this Xpac is an Asian theme these references work. I see an Iron Man. Red and gold, glowing object in chest and the name Iron Qon finishes it out.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    This boss looks like Hellboy borrowing Ironman's outfit. Nice catch though. I see the orb thingy on his chest!

His skin is the armor. Armor on armor. Super badass.
    Extremis Iron Man armor!

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    The goal of Blizzard's pop culture references isn't to smack you in the face with every example. It's to allude to it. They aren't literally going to make an Iron Man model and call it "Iron Man <Man of Iron>"
    people know that, but a fanboi is literally offended when someone says that blizzard was influenced by somethign else, even though blizzard has said time and time again they are influenced by something else

I can see it. I'd have probably never thought about it if I hadn't seen it mentioned. But there's totally some influence there.

Not that it's particularly shocking. There are pop culture references left-and-right in WoW.

Hahah Nice one there. I've been very pleased with Blizzard's return to subtle pop culture references in this expansion rather than massively in your face that was Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Isn't there also a boss called Raden? i.e. Raiden from mortal kombat?
    Not from Mortal Kombat, but from Japanese mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raijin