I feel like the rapture has happened and I've been left behind.

I feel like I am at a pretty bad spot atm when it comes to wow. To explain this there needs to be a bit of backstory. I have a goal for world of warcraft, and that goal has been and always will be: ”I want to do all PvE content, when it's relevant”. I've never really cared for world firsts I just want to see the bad guy die on the hardest difficulty. While that never happened in Vanilla or TBC being stopped in both Naxx and Sunwell I was satisfied since the dedication to clear any of those two instances were far beyond anything I've faced before. In WotLK however it was something you could achive even if it was with the buff, it still felt very satisfying and I had a very good guild to boot.

However in Cataclysm due to commitments and what I felt was bad design i stepped out of the game. With MoP I decided to come back and the problems started. First of I was told to join my old guild and I was fine with that, they were awesome guys. The problem was that there had been huge changes during Cataclysm that I wasn't informed off. First off they had gone from 25 man to a 10 man. We used to raid 4 days a week for 4 hours. Now it was 3 days a week with 3 hours. This however was something I could live with even though I was rather irked that wasn't told. Then it just started piling on. People would turn up with no flasks, no food or/and no pots. I would be the only one prepoting. People would outright refuse to use addons anymore even though some of them like a reforge addon makes a massive diffrence for no effort. And add to that the Paladin (Main tank) AND Priest ("Main" healer) wouldn't show up for every single monday raid. When I asked why I was told they both start their shifts at 5in the morning and would only raid 2 days of the week, meaning that we were down to 2 days, with 3 hours. The difference between me and the attitude the guild had these days, came at a stark contrast at Garalon a boss with a very hard enragetimer at release. We had plenty of 1% wipes and I was getting pretty mad about people not using proper food and potions, something that would have made those kills happen.

As much as I love these guys, that's not the game I wanted to play. But I made a huge misstake.
    I was playing a mage at the time, wich I loved right untill I hit 90. The level 90 talents for mages are BOLLOCKS. Aslong as I am tanking or doing dps the class very rarely matters to me, I've had fun with pretty much anything except a level 90 mage. What I should have done ofcourse was leave early one saying ”This isn't for me”. But since I was playing the ridiculously overpowered Fire-mage I felt a duty to help these guys progress. I was pretty much indispensible to the guild at this point, nobody was actually raidleading so it naturally fell on me. I don't want to raidlead, but if everyone is completly silent I don't have the patience to not do something about it. Add to that my broken class at the time was destroying the meters and we had many close calls that wouldn't be kills without the extra umph my class brought to the table. And not mention my daycare skills.

I once sat out during 2 raids just to see to that they would be okey if I left. The result was a disaster. They wouldn't get past Elegon. 2 raid nights, the boss was on farm. But no they never made it under 30%. I go back in and we one shot him, and I again feel like the only part holding shit together. However finally the Fire-nerf happened to put them (somewhat) in line with the rest of the classes and I felt like I could step out.

I would like to add that I don't feel the guild did anything wrong, other than the missinformation. We are just not at the same level anymore. We used to be, they changed and I didn't. That's fine, I have no hostile feelings towards them at all.

So now I am in a situation where I have no character at 90, though I have no problems leveling anything at all. As said I enjoy pretty much all classes in this game, except MoP mages.
    And the only guilds I could ever hope to join are at either such a low level that they won't achive what I want to achive , or just... well... you know the kind of guilds that when you say ”Ok, so this is what you can expect from me. What can i expect from you?” awnser with ”We have a tabard!”.

I really want to raid in MoP and I loved the first tier of MoP but I don't know how to get to a point where I can get to the level of play I want to be at being this far behind.

And I don't have any desire to just get carried, I realise that for the first tier of raiding the boat has pretty much sailed, but as it is now I feel like I have no way of getting to the level of gear to join the kind of guild I want to be in and just waiting in the next expansion seems a lot of waste of fun.

Any help on the matter would be very appriciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    People aren't going to play this game forever.

For example: If you started playing at launch and were 17 years old, you'd now be pushing 25... chances are you've got a more serious job/career, a more serious relationship if not a spouse, and possibly kids.

If you want to keep going hardcore, you probably need to look for a different guild. It's very likely you may have to look at a different server as well.

If you level to 90 now and chain LFR runs you should be geared enough to do the new LFR when it comes out, and from there geared enough to be accepted into a raid group still doing Normals.

Even though we are in the exact same position, I fail to see what your "problem" is. Browse some 20-60 ish world rank guilds, see if you can get into one that fits you.

Gear is usually not what matters the most in the application, it is the experience and you as a person.

From what you are describing your guild as, you can easily find another guild that will perform much better. I don't know where you get this opinion that there is no range between the guilds that are open invites, and the guilds that require you to be 16/16HC >500iLvL.

TL;DR OP rejoined his old Cata guild which is now full of casuals that only seem to still raid out of some kind of misguided duty. Oh, and some rants about how he doesn't think Mages are fun anymore.

Find a new guild, switch mains, whatever. This is nothing new to MoP and hundreds of thousands of people have ended up in this position at the start of every expansion, get over it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I came back on december 13th from a 3 month involuntary break and I was ilvl490 in the first few days of coming back. I think you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    People aren't going to play this game forever.

For example: If you started playing at launch and were 17 years old, you'd now be pushing 25... chances are you've got a more serious job/career, a more serious relationship if not a spouse, and possibly kids.

If you want to keep going hardcore, you probably need to look for a different guild. It's very likely you may have to look at a different server as well.
    I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, I have left the guild. But that puts me back at square one, and I am very unsure how to get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    If you level to 90 now and chain LFR runs you should be geared enough to do the new LFR when it comes out, and from there geared enough to be accepted into a raid group still doing Normals.
    Well, that's no true. The new LFR requires 386 ilvl wich means you need to do at least normal Mogu. And LFR I've found isn't something you can rely on to gear yourself up, I've gone 5 weeks without a single piece of gear. So to gear up to that degree, not to mention overlaps using the LFR doesn't seem to close the gap in any significant way. Not to say that I won't do LFR ofcourse I will, anyway to improve for such little investment is a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Even though we are in the exact same position, I fail to see what your "problem" is. Browse some 20-60 ish world rank guilds, see if you can get into one that fits you.

Gear is usually not what matters the most in the application, it is the experience and you as a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriturri View Post
    From what you are describing your guild as, you can easily find another guild that will perform much better. I don't know where you get this opinion that there is no range between the guilds that are open invites, and the guilds that require you to be 16/16HC >500iLvL.
    While i can contribute with experience and my willingness to put effort into my class and the raid. I havn't found that it really brought me anyware. I've never had problems passing guild applications in terms of the past now for example all I can provide for say a WoL parse is a few top 200 mage parses from normal mode raiding, that arn't really that relevant (Other than ofcourse checking stuff like activity, uptime ect). And from what I've found that is a must in these times. I wish I could find those guilds that you are talking about since, I'm pretty convinced I could convince others to at least give a me a chance.

I appriciate all the feedback I can get.

I won't pretend I've checked (it would be a bit pointless anyway because LFR isn't working yet!) but I'm pretty sure that's not true, Blizzard have directly stated on multiple occasions that they want players to be able to gear up for current raids by moving through the LFR tiers.
    I would be incredibly surprised if you needed a higher iLvl to get into 5.2 LFR than you can get in 5.0 LFR.

Where did you get that information from?

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    TL;DR OP rejoined his old Cata guild which is now full of casuals that only seem to still raid out of some kind of misguided duty. Oh, and some rants about how he doesn't think Mages are fun anymore.
    well at least sumarise it correctly. Come on.

"Find a new guild, switch mains, whatever."

That's the crux, I've never had to do that before. Hence seeking advice on how to get to that new guild, I've always had a powerhouse character to back my shit up, what to do when you don't. If you want to do TLR I'll provide you with it :

Staring over mid expansion. What the fuck to do to not get stuck in another guild that doesn't match.

And yes, the levle 90 mage talents are horrendous and breaks the class. Live with it.

I don't think they break the class but you're allowed your personal opinion

I won't pretend I've checked (it would be a bit pointless anyway because LFR isn't working yet!) but I'm pretty sure that's not true, Blizzard have directly stated on multiple occasions that they want players to be able to gear up for current raids by moving through the LFR tiers.
    I would be incredibly surprised if you needed a higher iLvl to get into 5.2 LFR than you can get in 5.0 LFR.

Where did you get that information from?
    Plenty of sources, but I do assume that they got it from the PTR. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415796891 there as just one example. Doesn't seem to be anyone disputing it, so I don't see why so many people would go along with a hoax. Was discussed on streams aswell, and again nobody saying it wasn't anything but the truth.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 08:55 PM ----------

I don't think they break the class but you're allowed your personal opinion
    Conform to my way of thinking or suffer eternity knowing that you will never be as great of a man as me. :-)

It's weird because that seems to directly contradict Ghostcrawler
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...27148394307584
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...45143908966400

Considering he's a lead designer, if the iLvl requirement is currently that high it will probably be dropped before live

So start levelling fast and you've still got some months to max out your new gearset!

What server/continent are you on, and are you willing to transfer? Also a log or at least toon name would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriturri View Post
    What server/continent are you on, and are you willing to transfer? Also a log or at least toon name would be good.
    I am on the EU and I am always willing to transfer. I will start digging up some logs.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 10:09 PM ----------

It's weird because that seems to directly contradict Ghostcrawler
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...27148394307584
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...45143908966400

Considering he's a lead designer, if the iLvl requirement is currently that high it will probably be dropped before live

So start levelling fast and you've still got some months to max out your new gearset!
    Yea ofcourse everything is subject to change. but that statment doesn't really exclude the PTR findings. Full HoF LFR + valor upgrades could get you there, even as unlikley as it is that anyone is that lucky.