Resto: Crit, how much is too much? (10 man)

So I'm progressing currently on Heroic Garalon and Heroic Spirit Kings and I'm thinking about changing up my secondary stats.

I'm currently sitting at 54% mastery, 18% crit & 2022 haste unbuffed.

I've played around with my stats plenty before, stacking mastery to 65+% & haste to the next soft cap...I wasn't a fan of the haste stacking(except maybe for farm content) because I just found myself going oom pretty quickly, so now I just have a set-up where I'm stacking crit...I think I sit around 24-25% crit raid buffed.

But how much crit is too much? I've read that crit doesn't scale well once it's above a certain percent. Should I go back to a more mastery heavy set up or stick with where I'm at?

It becomes useless when you have a large mana pool at the end of progress encounters, just like Spirit.
    Signature size violated forum rules.

Nah, I wouldn't say that's the case. We run 2 resto shams and usually 2 priests so we get double(quadruple on attempts we use it twice) mana tide and double priest hymn...that along with telluric currents(if I glyph for it) and the focus potion, I'm usually fairly comfortable with mana management, but I wouldn't say I'm ever above 30% at the end of a heroic kill or a lengthy heroic attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ushra View Post
    It becomes useless when you have a large mana pool at the end of progress encounters, just like Spirit.

This is not 100% true the crit does help mana yes but it also has a lot of thru-put with the buff its not crap anymore. If you have a ton of mana at the end of a fight then you're not playing aggressive enough or 3 healing when you can be 2 healing.

IF this is you http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...myspice/simple

the only way i can see you surviving with 8500 spirit is because you're 3 healing fights u can 2 heal. Also you are losing a lot of stats with how you are gemming. Pure crit is not a great idea its about 50% mp5 compared to spirit.

I run:

11k spirit
    5258 mastery 50%
    6336 crit like 19%
    1422 Haste for first breakpoint

some fights i feel like i have too much mp5 but then working on heroic empress quickly reminds me that my manapool is bitch made and would love more mp5.
    Last edited by Lostep; 2013-01-09 at 06:58 PM.
    - Lostep -

We 2 heal most fights, but occasionally we have a disc/holy priest for higher intensity heal fights like H Garalon. We are 2 healing(me and another sham) heroic spirit kings.

We(my raid) just have so many sources of mana regen (double mana tide, usually double hymn) plus totemic recall glyph & telluric currents makes mana regen pretty ridiculous. I also usually run double spirit proc trinkets, so I get a ton of regen there as well. Occasionally one of us will get an innervate and then there's also potion of focus...

So that's why I choose to gem more for int/crit rather than spirit/mp5. If I feel I'm l'm struggling on a particular fight I'll put a spirit flask/food up instead of int(or I'll regem).

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyspice View Post
    We 2 heal most fights, but occasionally we have a disc/holy priest for higher intensity heal fights like H Garalon. We are 2 healing(me and another sham) heroic spirit kings.

We(my raid) just have so many sources of mana regen (double mana tide, usually double hymn) plus totemic recall glyph & telluric currents makes mana regen pretty ridiculous. I also usually run double spirit proc trinkets, so I get a ton of regen there as well. Occasionally one of us will get an innervate and then there's also potion of focus...

So that's why I choose to gem more for int/crit rather than spirit/mp5. If I feel I'm l'm struggling on a particular fight I'll put a spirit flask/food up instead of int(or I'll regem).

It really boils down to what works out best for you. The biggest problem now is we (resto shaman) have 3 stats we have to balance its not like holy paladin or disc priest where its like stack nothing but mastery and GG. So, as of now resto shaman are not in the best spot for healing compared to other healers so were all trying to improve and theory craft around with 3 stats to improve the HPS. After all the talks about which stat is better or is there is a right way to do it I honestly dont think there is.. Its whatever works out best for you and the comp you run, if the boss dies u win. If i ran with 2 resto shaman i would almost say one of them should gear full mastery and the other full crit or something along those lines and try to raise the HPS as a group rather than each person. Add some diversity to the healing output to match the incoming variable damage.

I run with a mistweaver and a holy paladin so the mistweaver shits on my hots, and the holy paladin shits on my single target heals. Im like the net that catches anything that slips between the cracks of those two and im totally cool with that as long as the boss dies.
    Last edited by Lostep; 2013-01-09 at 08:44 PM.
    - Lostep -