[Book] Wheel of Time Question

So the new book is released tomorrow, and a lot of my friends are talking about it. I've only recently heard of the Wheel of Time series and I'm intrigued.

I just downloaded the Prologue of the Eye of the World for my Kindle. The first thing I notice, that it's extremely descriptive and I've come across words I didn't know the meaning too (easy to rectify with a kindle ). I wouldn't say I'm a veteran reader. I only started reading a couple of years ago when I got my Kindle because I was interested in starting. I've probably read about 20-25 books since, and I like to try 'up the difficulty' each time.

In a nutshell, is the series a difficult one to read? I don't want to start and find out I have to stop midway through because I don't know what the hell is going on.

Cheers.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read the series with a computer close by and looked up a few words as I went. The wheel of time is a long series but is a rewarding read. You are lucky that the entire series is almost complete. It was difficult keeping track of everything with years between book releases.

Deleted
    It's absolutely huge but I found it an entertaining read, there's lots of times I stayed up more than I had planned because I was drawn into the story and couldn't put it down.

English is not my native language but I had no problems with vocabulary.
    Looking at it as a reading project, it's the volume that will trouble you more than anything if you start at the beginning.

There's 13 sizable volumes to go through before you can read the last one coming out.

Depending how fast you read, how much time you can devote to it, you'd need roughly 2months before you even have to worry about the new book

10+ Year Old Account
    Counting the final volume releasing tomorrow, there are over 4 million words to read through in the Wheel of Time series. The average word count for modern novels is 80k-100k, and most Wheel of Time installments are triple that amount.

It's a TON of reading, but it's the most detailed, realized and entertaining story I've read in the fantasy genre. It has flaws, it has weaknesses, but the overall vision and journey is something I've embarked on multiple times, and always found rewarding.

If you enjoy high fantasy, there are none which can dethrone this masterpiece.
    Last edited by Sanavi; 2013-01-07 at 11:46 PM.

Is it worth reading? Sure. Is it a hard read? No not really? It's certainly not a real hard read in the sense of deep literature, but it can get convoluted with all that is happening in the series. There are a TON of characters and side stories. As an example, I remember finishing one book and IMMEDIATELY starting the next book. In the very first chapter i had NO IDEA who the view point character was.

Don't let that stop you. Dive in.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    The first time going through the series, it can get hard to keep track of the characters once you've reached about Book 6 or so. Also, sometimes the characters describe events that occurred before the series start as if they are common knowledge (such as false Dragons or the Breaking) but you can usually figure them out.

Overall, my favourite book series.

Make a drinking game out of it. Every time someone tugs their braid or crosses their arms under their breasts take a shot. You won't have a liver by book 4.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Just finished it yesterday evening.

Wasn't disappointed

It's a good thing he decided to go ahead and wrap it up, there were so many loose ends coming together at the end there,
    he could easily have "milked" a couple more volumes out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Make a drinking game out of it. Every time someone tugs their braid or crosses their arms under their breasts take a shot. You won't have a liver by book 4.
    I lol'd :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    id be passed out by the end of the first book...

if you are really daring, you should add in taking a drink every time stubborn, woolhead, ears boxxing, etc comes up.
    Last edited by AceofHarts; 2013-01-16 at 02:04 AM.

Deleted
    or 'sheepherder'

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drii View Post
    or 'sheepherder'
    see: etc.

that said, it would make a hell of a drinking game.
    kind of like the pokemon drinking game...

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    id be passed out by the end of the first book...

if you are really daring, you should add in taking a drink every time stubborn, woolhead, ears boxxing, etc comes up.
    Well honestly that game would get pretty boring once you get to the last three. Those terms are barely used at that one. One things Sanderson has going for him is he seems to write female characters in a more compelling way than Jorden did. Also, keep in mind I had never read anything by Sanderson before this, so I am completely going off the change in style between Jorden's books and his.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    So the new book is released tomorrow, and a lot of my friends are talking about it. I've only recently heard of the Wheel of Time series and I'm intrigued.

I just downloaded the Prologue of the Eye of the World for my Kindle. The first thing I notice, that it's extremely descriptive and I've come across words I didn't know the meaning too (easy to rectify with a kindle ). I wouldn't say I'm a veteran reader. I only started reading a couple of years ago when I got my Kindle because I was interested in starting. I've probably read about 20-25 books since, and I like to try 'up the difficulty' each time.

In a nutshell, is the series a difficult one to read? I don't want to start and find out I have to stop midway through because I don't know what the hell is going on.

Cheers.
    Although your banned now maybe your stil reading:

Im a german native and never lived in the United States, after reading the Sword of Truth i had no issue at all reading Wheel of Time so it should work out for you too. Most writers have a tendency of using the same words very often so i doubt you would be having very many problems.