10+ Year Old Account

Cool Faceroll Blood Tanking

So the other day I thought I'd try queuing as tank (I'm only geared for DPS) to take advantage of the satchel of exotic goods reward. I have 0 dodge, 0 parry and hardly any mastery on my DPS gear. I ended up flying through the dungeon and even soloed the first boss of scholomance (our whole group failed). As a DK, I'm pretty happy with the fact that blood can do so much damage and have great surv in pvp and pve. I know it's just a heroic and not a proper raid, but still. It's nice to be able to que as tank just for the lulz.

Deleted
    Strength and haste are actually very good stats for survival. It probably helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by zealtek View Post
    So the other day I thought I'd try queuing as tank (I'm only geared for DPS) to take advantage of the satchel of exotic goods reward. I have 0 dodge, 0 parry and hardly any mastery on my DPS gear. I ended up flying through the dungeon and even soloed the first boss of scholomance (our whole group failed). As a DK, I'm pretty happy with the fact that blood can do so much damage and have great surv in pvp and pve. I know it's just a heroic and not a proper raid, but still. It's nice to be able to que as tank just for the lulz.
    If they died on first boss of scholo its a you issue and not a dps issue it means you didn't have full aggro

10+ Year Old Account
    They stood in the ice thing - 1 shot kill..

10+ Year Old Account
    standing in the ice wall that one shots people is the tanks fault yo

I'm pretty sure every tank class can tank lvl 90 dungeons in dps gear considering how easy they are.

demo locks or pets can tank mop hcs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    I'm pretty sure every tank class can tank lvl 90 dungeons in dps gear considering how easy they are.
    Maybe so. All I remember is back in WotLK queing as a prot pally in ret gear I got hammered. I think that the extra dmg in death strikes really helps tho.

Haste and str works wonders in those 5 mans

Maybe so. All I remember is back in WotLK queing as a prot pally in ret gear I got hammered. I think that the extra dmg in death strikes really helps tho.
    Heroic dungeons back then were at least somewhat heroic and not being immune to crits was generally a bad idea .... although you could still easily tank heroics as ret with t10 spamming Divine Storm :P

Depending on when you did it in wotlk, you needed def stats on gear to keep from being critted. Can't remember the right amount, but it wouldn't be possible to tank in ret gear. I remember in wotlk, on my prot paladin you could build a dps set that kept you def capped while also using dps gear like trinkets or a "dps" one hander. The more gear you got the more dps gear you could wear as a prot pally while staying def capped.

You mentioned queueing though, and I think they got rid of the def cap at about the same time lfd came out, so I dunno.
    The more of my behavior you accept, the less you will have to forgive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Haste and str works wonders in those 5 mans
    Haste ecause of the fast rune regen?

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 12:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hyperionx View Post
    Depending on when you did it in wotlk, you needed def stats on gear to keep from being critted. Can't remember the right amount, but it wouldn't be possible to tank in ret gear. I remember in wotlk, on my prot paladin you could build a dps set that kept you def capped while also using dps gear like trinkets or a "dps" one hander. The more gear you got the more dps gear you could wear as a prot pally while staying def capped.

You mentioned queueing though, and I think they got rid of the def cap at about the same time lfd came out, so I dunno.
    Actually I think it was before LFD (I don't think I queued) because ppl complained that I wasn't def capped.

10+ Year Old Account
    STR is parry... parry rating is useless. It's reforge bait.

Haste increases Rune and Runepower generation.

Warriors are the only plate class that gets hurt wearing dps gear to tank. Haste is amazing on DK/Paladins.

Stack STR/Haste/Mastery instead of sta/dodge/parry, you won't miss anything.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    STR is parry... parry rating is useless. It's reforge bait.

Haste increases Rune and Runepower generation.

Warriors are the only plate class that gets hurt wearing dps gear to tank. Haste is amazing on DK/Paladins.

Stack STR/Haste/Mastery instead of sta/dodge/parry, you won't miss anything.
    Excuse me mr.
    I have tanked several HCs in full fury gear AND spec!!

...... stance dancing in and out of defensive/battle stance ofc. but still full fury spec/gear hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillieB View Post
    Well the shadow-priest ain't a daffodil tooting snuggle bunny either. Besides this is the priest forum not gonna get much love for that line of reasoning here locky-loo - All your sha are belonging to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguezor View Post
    Excuse me mr.
    I have tanked several HCs in full fury gear AND spec!!

...... stance dancing in and out of defensive/battle stance ofc. but still full fury spec/gear hehe
    Tbh. we've done that with a ret paladin healing the fury warrior - that's how easy lvl 90 dungeons are atm >_>

I know for the achievement before voss on my DK I was hitting 230-250k AoE DPS which was loltastic at the start of the xpac when people assumed that tanks were only for holding agro still.

Deleted
    In WotLK I used to tank heroics as ret in ret gear and had no probs so dno how you didnt manage it in prot spec ;/

Quote Originally Posted by R0AM3R View Post
    In WotLK I used to tank heroics as ret in ret gear and had no probs so dno how you didnt manage it in prot spec ;/
    Maybe in very very very early WotLK?

I dont mean to devalue your fun OP, but this is pretty basic for most DK's you'll see tanking heroics :P I race my guildies on the dps meters in blood spec, and usually win too, while running heroics to boost a healer alt to gear.

Deleted
    DW blood tanking 5 man heroics in DPS gear is really fun and can push up some crazy numbers. (not even viable outside of it tho', it's just cause you outgear 200 times the instance)

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, in Wrath (And BC, for that matter) you could actually go tank wearing PvP gear, since Resilience lowered the chance to be crit, even by mobs, and you could easily become crit immune via Resilience. And PvP gear was itemized to having gobs of +Stam on it as well.

Was it as good as proper tanking gear? Of course not.

But would it keep you from getting your face melted from a quick string of boss crits? Yep.

In fact, the same was true for DPS/Healers, letting you trade some DPS/HPS for survivability in case some stray mob started chomping on the group.