Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I was going to say House too. I'm usually not a fan of medical dramas but it's actually really entertaining. It does kinda drag at points where I think they were just writing episodes because they had an order for 22 episodes a season and needed to fill time. It could use with being a bit tighter.
    I have to really back that up, American shows unfortunately seem to have a tradition of 22-24 episode seasons whereas the British shows I watch tend to be much shorter but tighter as a result.

Actually on re-reading that, I'm not bagging US television...I'm not sure how this works, I don't live there so I'm not sure which channel shows what but it seems cable channel shows seem to be 12-13 episode seasons? And commercial channels go the full 24 episodes? Game of Thrones, True Blood, American Horror Story, Six Feet Under, all really tight shows at 13 episodes or so. Battlestar Galactica had a great 12 episode first season, then they went to 24 or so for the other seasons and those tended to drag a bit, and were bloated with standalone episodes that were never as good (Season 3 in particular).

The Walking Dead had a 6 episode first season, maybe a touch too short but there was never a wasted minute that's for sure. The 12 episode second season was a good length I thought (I know the second season isn't looked on too kindly but I think that was more an issue of writing than length, and I actually really liked it). When the third season was announced as being extended to 16 I got a bit worried but I think that'll fit it in nice...in fact, the fact it's such a unique number makes me think they just sat down and worked out how long the season needed to be for it to work, which is the right approach I think.

24 was sort of locked in to 24 episode understandably, haha. I think they made the length work though, in that they often had a mid-season finale that resolved the early issue but introduced a new problem for the second stretch.

I know more episodes means more time on air, more advertising revenue, but I think shorter seasons is better for the long term health of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdemenzes View Post
    I have to really back that up, American shows unfortunately seem to have a tradition of 22-24 episode seasons whereas the British shows I watch tend to be much shorter but tighter as a result.

Actually on re-reading that, I'm not bagging US television...I'm not sure how this works, I don't live there so I'm not sure which channel shows what but it seems cable channel shows seem to be 12-13 episode seasons? And commercial channels go the full 24 episodes?
    Yeah, lot of shows, especially made for cable ones, don't run for 22-24 eps. The Shield, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Justified, Leverage...all shows I love, and all are in the 12-16 eps per season range.