Deleted

How do I know if this SSD will fit into my laptop?

Hey guys.

So I can get this SSD from work;
    Kingston SSDNow V300 - solid state drive - 120 GB - SATA-600

Specs say it has 450mb read and 450 mb write, seems like a pretty fast SSD to me.

Since I already have an SSD in my gaming rig I want to put this one into my laptop.

After some research I found the dimensions of the ssd: 69.8 mm x 100.1 mm x 7 mm

How do I know if it fits into my laptop though?
    I have an Asus K55A.
    The only info I found is that it currently has a 2.5" SATA3 harddrive in it, but I can't find the height or width of the HDD anywhere.

Also; just realized I probably should've posted this in build/upgrade help, sorry

Hand measure it?

All 2.5" drives are the same size, only thickness can vary between 7 and 9mm. Some SSDs that are 7mm comes with an extra 2mm plastic adapter piece so they will fit in a laptop without moving around too much.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    2.5 inch
    2.75 in × 0.275–0.59 in × 3.945 in (69.85 mm × 7–15 mm × 100 mm) = 48.895–104.775 cm3. This smaller form factor was introduced by PrairieTek in 1988;[67] there is no corresponding FDD. It came to be widely used for HDDs in mobile devices (laptops, music players, etc.) and for solid-state drives, by 2008 replacing some 3.5 inch enterprise-class drives.[68] It is also used in the PlayStation 3[69] and Xbox 360[citation needed] video game consoles. Drives 9.5 mm high became an unofficial standard for all except the largest-capacity laptop drives (usually having two platters inside); 12.5 mm-high drives, typically with three platters, are used for maximum capacity, but will not fit most laptop computers. Enterprise-class drives can have a height up to 15 mm.[70] Seagate released a 7mm drive aimed at entry level laptops and high end netbooks in December 2009.[71]

copied from wikipedia

Should fit worst case scenario is that you need a spacer.

15+ Year Old Account
    The formal was specifically chosen for this reason, I might add. That is why the desktop models usually come with an adapting kit. For a laptop just go on ahead, it's exactly the size you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm under the impression that all SSD's will fit all laptops, however I do see that there are 9.5mm and 7mm drives, and some might need... rubber rails?

Anyway, pull out your current drive, find it's model. The Kingston 120gb V300 is 7mm. There is some kind of ... square.. tray thing? I think that might be a 2.5mm 'rail' or separator to make it fit properly for 9.5mm bay.

Either way, that drive ought to fit fine.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 01:06 AM ----------

copied from wikipedia
    Copied from wikipedia to neither answer the question, nor address it remotely. Gotta love the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm under the impression that all SSD's will fit all laptops, however I do see that there are 9.5mm and 7mm drives, and some might need... rubber rails?
    I think ultrabooks require the 7mm SSDs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarthan View Post
    Hand measure it?
    Laptop is at a friend, can't right now. Figured I'd ask around here before saying yes to getting the SSD.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 10:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

Anyway, pull out your current drive, find it's model. The Kingston 120gb V300 is 7mm. There is some kind of ... square.. tray thing? I think that might be a 2.5mm 'rail' or separator to make it fit properly for 9.5mm bay.

Either way, that drive ought to fit fine.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 01:06 AM ----------

Copied from wikipedia to neither answer the question, nor address it remotely. Gotta love the internet.
    Thanks. The shop where they got it didn't show the image with the 2.5mm thingy included.