Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    No (or not to much) bread, no pasta, no sweets, no fried food at all. Don't eat anything after 6-7 pm but fruits (with moderation ofc dont eat like 10 bananas before sleep).

It isn't to hard to lose weight especially at your age your metabolism must be through the roof.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2013-01-12 at 12:33 PM.

Deleted
    Weight loss is simply:

Calories Taken in < Calories Used in a day = Weight Loss.

If you're eating 1700 calories and your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is 2000 calories you lose weight.

Go on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ or download the app from the store (it's free and the app is 10x better).

Fill out the information, don't lie, and set yourself a target (1/2, 1, 2 pounds lost per week).

It'll give you a calorie readout, follow it.

Set yourself a diet by playing around with the options available. You can search, add individual ingredients and scan barcodes to gain the nutritional information from food. It even has a huge array of restaurant menus on there so you can check almost everything.

If you just want to lose weight and you're not concerned with fitness and muscle building/maintenance it doesn't matter what you're eating. You can have a McDonalds, you can have chocolate and you have beer but you MUST ACCOUNT FOR EVERYTHING.

If you're overbudget, cut back, if you're underbudget add more.

If you're doing cardio exercises then you can account for more calories in the day (e.g. 20 minute 10-12mph cycling 180 calories) and you can search for said exercises on the website/app. Any strength exercises put as 0, yes 0.

Don't lie and don't be pathetic. Weight loss is a long term plan and it could take you 6 months to reach the weight you want.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mmoc59eefffc0e; 2013-01-12 at 07:18 PM.

Got a smartphone?

Get RunKeeper.
    Get Noom.

Make use of it. ever. single. day.

Deleted
    Totally try Insanity by shaun T... chep and effective, well if u try that is

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santanico View Post
    I wouldn't try Insanity instantly. It does require a well established fitness level to be able to keep up with it. If you put an unfit person doing it first thing, they'll most likely give up because they feel like it's too hard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santanico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeria View Post
    I wouldn't try Insanity instantly. It does require a well established fitness level to be able to keep up with it. If you put an unfit person doing it first thing, they'll most likely give up because they feel like it's too hard.

I tried insanity at the near end of my weight loss journey, and yes its good.... But its very difficult and it will exhaust you within 10 minutes if you arent used to it.
    Also it wont give you the results it claims within 60 days ( just for clarification )

Fucking cut soda and buy a pair of handweights. Losing weight is probably the easiest thing you can do.

If you WANT to start boxing, then START boxing.
    It will help you lose weight. It will help you achieve your goals. Diet and exercise.

If you're that heavy, do not try to start a running program. You could blow out your knees or otherwise injure yourself. Seek a doctor before beginning any new exercise or diet routine. The important thing is that you get up and start moving around regularly. Go for 30 minute walks everyday to start out. Watch your calorie intake. Try not to drink soda (or limit yourself to one per day) and don't eat between meals. At meals, try not to take second helpings.

I've been losing 2-3 pounds per week, and all I've done is stop eating between meals and do a walk/run program three days per week. You don't need to be extreme to lose weight and be healthy.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all about calories. You could sit there and do nothing all day and still lose tons of weight as long as you counted your calories and ate only a certain amount. It's just better to add in exercise. It'll make you feel better and look better and of course help with the weight loss. But if you wanna be lazy and simplify it, just watch your number of calories. Everyone's different, some can handle one diet while the next guy can't. But I suggest cutting out sugar as much as you possibly can. It's addictive and keeps you hungry. Protein and fiber will fill you up. Avoid excessive amounts of salt and saturated fat and never touch trans fat. Eating often in small portions is a good way to keep from getting too hungry. I suggest doing something to make you sweat and make your heart race a few times a week. Whatever that is is up to you since you're gonna have to want to do it. It can't be something that feels like work for you or is boring as shit.

Some really good foods I eat all the time are:
    Beans, brown rice, vegetables, wheat bread, natural or organic peanut butter and almond butter (no hydrogenated oil BS), sweet potatoes, egg whites, nuts, avocados, fat free greek yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, fat free pineapple cottage cheese, tuna, grapefruit...There's tons of good options, you just have to make the right call. Oh and drink a lot of water. Cut out all soda and diet soda and anything else with artificial sweetener or high sugar. Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does. You can eat whatever you want, don't get me wrong, but some people have a problem and need more discipline than others. Don't overdo it of course. But if you really want a burger, go for it, just don't get the huge ones at a fast food joint, ya know? Eat your calories, don't drink em. Don't follow any diets or plans other people make for you. You gotta do it your way if you wanna succeed and stay that way.

The best advice I could give you is don't starve yourself, just feed your body what it needs and don't rush it, it's gonna take time. Don't ever fall victim to those gimmicky diets you see on tv or online. They're bogus, don't work and are unsustainable. You won't die no matter how badly you crave something sweet. And I heard some other good advice... instead of telling yourself you can't have something, tell yourself you can have it but don't want it.

In the end though it all comes down to you. No advice or diet plan or anything is gonna help you unless you really want it. You might have to seriously push yourself sometimes but just think about how worth it it will be and how confident in your ability you'll be once it's finally done. So good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Tucci; 2013-01-27 at 08:10 AM.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    If you're that heavy, do not try to start a running program. You could blow out your knees or otherwise injure yourself. Seek a doctor before beginning any new exercise or diet routine. The important thing is that you get up and start moving around regularly. Go for 30 minute walks everyday to start out. Watch your calorie intake. Try not to drink soda (or limit yourself to one per day) and don't eat between meals. At meals, try not to take second helpings.

I've been losing 2-3 pounds per week, and all I've done is stop eating between meals and do a walk/run program three days per week. You don't need to be extreme to lose weight and be healthy.
    You're losing weight too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    It's all about calories. You could sit there and do nothing all day and still lose tons of weight as long as you counted your calories and ate only a certain amount. It's just better to add in exercise. It'll make you feel better and look better and of course help with the weight loss. But if you wanna be lazy and simplify it, just watch your number of calories. Everyone's different, some can handle one diet while the next guy can't. But I suggest cutting out sugar as much as you possibly can. It's addictive and keeps you hungry. Protein and fiber will fill you up. Avoid excessive amounts of salt and saturated fat and never touch trans fat. Eating often in small portions is a good way to keep from getting too hungry. I suggest doing something to make you sweat and make your heart race a few times a week. Whatever that is is up to you since you're gonna have to want to do it. It can't be something that feels like work for you or is boring as shit.

Some really good foods I eat all the time are:
    Beans, brown rice, vegetables, wheat bread, natural or organic peanut butter and almond butter (no hydrogenated oil BS), sweet potatoes, egg whites, nuts, avocados, fat free greek yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, fat free pineapple cottage cheese, tuna, grapefruit...There's tons of good options, you just have to make the right call. Oh and drink a lot of water. Cut out all soda and diet soda and anything else with artificial sweetener or high sugar. Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does. You can eat whatever you want, don't get me wrong, but some people have a problem and need more discipline than others. Don't overdo it of course. But if you really want a burger, go for it, just don't get the huge ones at a fast food joint, ya know? Eat your calories, don't drink em. Don't follow any diets or plans other people make for you. You gotta do it your way if you wanna succeed and stay that way.

The best advice I could give you is don't starve yourself, just feed your body what it needs and don't rush it, it's gonna take time. Don't ever fall victim to those gimmicky diets you see on tv or online. They're bogus, don't work and are unsustainable. You won't die no matter how badly you crave something sweet. And I heard some other good advice... instead of telling yourself you can't have something, tell yourself you can have it but don't want it.

In the end though it all comes down to you. No advice or diet plan or anything is gonna help you unless you really want it. You might have to seriously push yourself sometimes but just think about how worth it it will be and how confident in your ability you'll be once it's finally done. So good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.
    No, sugar doesnt really make you fat. If you're in a calorie surplus and eat candy / drink soda you will gain fat. If you're in a deficit and you eat candy / soda, you will lose weight.

It's in your head, buy some expensive running shoes (expensive for you), then you feel like you have to use them to get the value off them. That's how i lost 20kg in ~3 months.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post

No, sugar doesnt really make you fat. If you're in a calorie surplus and eat candy / drink soda you will gain fat. If you're in a deficit and you eat candy / soda, you will lose weight.

Yes you can eat candy and soda and still lose weight if you stay within your calorie limit but it's going to spike your blood sugar which makes you secrete insulin and then you're going to get hungry which then makes you binge, usually on more sweets and eventually you gain weight. You'll also constantly be hungry and never full and feel like absolute dog shit after you crash from the sugar. It's a vicious cycle and sugar is extremely addictive which just makes you eat more of it. Also, 2-3 lbs. per week isn't too fast at all, it's pretty much perfect unless you're thin to begin with.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

This is only slightly true.

The calorie in < calorie out theory is neat and all, and technically accurate, but it isn't that simple in the least. The problem is that the calories taken in can greatly effect the number that go out; or more specifically, the type (adipose fat tissue vs water vs muscle etc).

In addition, the type of calories that go in greatly effect your hunger, satiety, cravings - all because they can have huge effects on your hormones. Leptin, insulin, T3/T4, testosterone - all of this is VERY IMPORTANT.

The simplest way to think of it is that saying "my BMR is 2000, so if I eat 1000 calories a day of sugar, I'll lose 1000 calories of body fat a day, meaning 2 pounds a week!" is not actually that simple. It is very possible that the type of mass you lose may not all be fat, and the type of foods you eat will likely alter that BMR a bit.

In addition, eating the refined carbs/sugars is going to make you crave them more. You can believe that it's something you'll have the "will power" to deal with, but that just isn't reality for almost anyone. Your body will take over, as much as you'd like to think you're in control. Don't put yourself in that situation.

Give up the flour, sugar, all the refined junk carbs. Eat meat, fish, eggs, nuts, vegetables, butter, etc. and your hormones will become balanced and your natural hunger cycles will be fixed and you will find it basically impossible to gain weight (and of course you'll lose it at first).

Don't count calories, eat whatever you want out of those things and you WILL LOSE BODY FAT. Unless you have some serious medical problem, it's really not possible not to, and you'll feel incredibly healthier afterwards.

If you want to get advanced, look into intermittent fasting / leangains.com / things like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    This is only slightly true.

The calorie in < calorie out theory is neat and all, and technically accurate, but it isn't that simple in the least. The problem is that the calories taken in can greatly effect the number that go out; or more specifically, the type (adipose fat tissue vs water vs muscle etc).

In addition, the type of calories that go in greatly effect your hunger, satiety, cravings - all because they can have huge effects on your hormones. Leptin, insulin, T3/T4, testosterone - all of this is VERY IMPORTANT.

The simplest way to think of it is that saying "my BMR is 2000, so if I eat 1000 calories a day of sugar, I'll lose 1000 calories of body fat a day, meaning 2 pounds a week!" is not actually that simple. It is very possible that the type of mass you lose may not all be fat, and the type of foods you eat will likely alter that BMR a bit.

In addition, eating the refined carbs/sugars is going to make you crave them more. You can believe that it's something you'll have the "will power" to deal with, but that just isn't reality for almost anyone. Your body will take over, as much as you'd like to think you're in control. Don't put yourself in that situation.

Give up the flour, sugar, all the refined junk carbs. Eat meat, fish, eggs, nuts, vegetables, butter, etc. and your hormones will become balanced and your natural hunger cycles will be fixed and you will find it basically impossible to gain weight (and of course you'll lose it at first).

Don't count calories, eat whatever you want out of those things and you WILL LOSE BODY FAT. Unless you have some serious medical problem, it's really not possible not to, and you'll feel incredibly healthier afterwards.

If you want to get advanced, look into intermittent fasting / leangains.com / things like that.
    Just because you eat healthy doesnt mean you can eat unlimited quantity of it.

Just because you eat healthy doesnt mean you can eat unlimited quantity of it.
    It does, though. It sounds crazy but the reality is you won't over eat. Your body will regulate it just fine.

Even then, unless you're ingesting huge amounts of oils or something it's going to be extremely hard to over eat when eating nothing but preferably grass fed meats or wild caught seafood and vegetables primarily, even if you intentionally wanted to. Try eating nothing but steak or bacon or something and see how many calories worth you can get to before you feel sick, and then try the same thing with sugary shit like sodas, breads, etc.

Deleted
    It does, though. It sounds crazy but the reality is you won't over eat. Your body will regulate it just fine.

Even then, unless you're ingesting huge amounts of oils or something it's going to be extremely hard to over eat when eating nothing but preferably grass fed meats or wild caught seafood and vegetables primarily, even if you intentionally wanted to. Try eating nothing but steak or bacon or something and see how many calories worth you can get to before you feel sick, and then try the same thing with sugary shit like sodas, breads, etc.

Lets say someone burns 2200 calories a day and they eat 2800 calories with healthy foods, what do you think happens?

Lets say someone burns 2200 calories a day and they eat 2800 calories with healthy foods, what do you think happens?
    The guy obviously is a paleo fanatic who hasnt bothered to look at the bogus research that the diet is based upon.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    The guy obviously is a paleo fanatic who hasnt bothered to look at the bogus research that the diet is based upon.
    Feel free to elaborate?

Do you honestly believe my diet of primarily vegetables, nuts, fish and meat is somehow unhealthy because I eat 150g carb daily of vegetables and nuts instead of bread?

Let's hear what your ideal diet (not weight loss here, just a healthy way to maintain a healthy weight) is based on your awesome research like the lipid hypothesis.

Feel free to elaborate?

Do you honestly believe my diet of primarily vegetables, nuts, fish and meat is somehow unhealthy because I eat 150g carb daily of vegetables and nuts instead of bread?

Let's hear what your ideal diet (not weight loss here, just a healthy way to maintain a healthy weight) is based on your awesome research like the lipid hypothesis.
    No, I do not desire to elaborate other than to say the paleo diet suffers from the logical fallacy of being an appeal to nature.

But I will answer your 2nd question, no, I do not think your diet is unhealthy. In fact, I think it is pretty damn healthy. But just because one way of eating can be healthy does not mean that another way of eating cannot be healthy. That said, I do not envy your latrine given your fiber intake.

BTW, the primary way I tend to gain weight is not by carbs but by nuts. I over eat nuts like crazy.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-28 at 01:57 AM.