Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Call it by its name! Not lag, low FPS.

"My PC is too old it lags."

"Very good graphics but my pc has lag with it!"

4/10 persons have lag, the rest have low FPS.

No no no!

Lag: To fall behind, the term is used when the application fails to respond in a timely fashion to inputs. (WKP)
    Low FPS: or low Frames Per Second, is the frequency (rate) at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames. (WKP)

(A trick to remember: lag in red letters, just as your latency shows when you have lag. Low FPS in blue letters, because your screen might even freeze with low frames!)

I also found a quite nice video to explain the meaning of lag, give it a minute it's worth it:

So please, from now on, stop calling everything "lag" when you are experiencing performance issues due low frame rates and try things like turning your graphics a bit low, specially shadows, light reflections and other Sun related graphic matters. (that goes for almost every game).

-------------------

The point of the thread?
    Share the fun video and point out the difference between the two most common issues on the "gaming world", lag is not the same as low FPS! So now there's no excuse to say "wait guys my screen is frozen, i'm lagging!"
    Last edited by shise; 2013-10-11 at 09:34 PM.

Deleted
    Never understood why there isn't a verb for low fps in English, it's very confusing. Here we have "lag" for, well, lag and "rame" for low fps (at least in the context of gaming).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ichime View Post
    Never understood why there isn't a verb for low fps in English, it's very confusing. Here we have "lag" for, well, lag and "rame" for low fps (at least in the context of gaming).
    Indeed, there should be a word

Quote Originally Posted by Pandaliciouz View Post
    That definition is just retarded. You are describing 2 different things with the same word.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    That definition is just retarded. You are describing 2 different things with the same word.
    As if the English language never does that with anything else? ^^

I get lag spikes in skyrim :/ don't know HOW but I do

English is filled with words of dual meaning, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    English is filled with words of dual meaning, right?
    Do they all create confusion when used in a sentence. For example : I am lagging badly right now. What am I referring to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    A situation where you're unable to perform as expected because you're experiencing subpar performance.
    This a thousand times. Is this not the "official" definition of Lag?
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Great now im gonna sit here and watch all the videos that person has made thanks.
    Signature by Eruionmel!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaliciouz View Post
    However that's incorrect. Not a real technical definition.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 04:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    I get lag spikes in skyrim :/ don't know HOW but I do
    I guess it's related to the memory, not saying that you have low RAM. I also have lag spikes once in a while in Test Drive Unlimited offline, mostly related to a bad performance on high graphics, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    A situation where you're unable to perform as expected because you're experiencing subpar performance.
    I agree with this. I'm lagging behind in math, is that Network related ? I have Jet lag, is that because of my old Wi-fi card ?

I understand and agree that it would be helpful if people could better describe the problem, like it's network lag versus video lag. But then a huge chunk of people have no idea why they are lagging, it's all magic to them. I hate seeing people constantly say "They were hacked", when they simply got their password nabbed.

Deleted
    Do they all create confusion when used in a sentence. For example : I am lagging badly right now. What am I referring to?
    "I turned a fan on"

One way of saying it "I turned a fan on because it was too warm"

Other way a sexual reference.

Context is key

the correct term would be video lag

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 05:01 PM ----------

to make the OP more understandable...

when you are whacking on a boss, and he does some big artsy fartsy spell animation that causes your screen to to screech to a halt... that is video lag.

when you are whacking away on a boss, and it takes a few seconds for abilities you press to fire, and you keep getting rubber banded back to your original position.. or everyone look's like they are back up dancers for MC hammer. that is network lag.
    Last edited by slimj091; 2013-01-08 at 05:01 PM.

Framelag is the closest I am willing to come to using "lag" to describe poor video performance. They are not the same thing. Low fps is not the same thing as lag, since lag has historically always been used to describe performance issues related to high latency. I only started seeing people use lag to describe low fps when console kids started playing wow on their parents' toshiba satellite.

The precedent is that lag is caused by network latency, not poor video hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    "My PC is too old it lags."

"Very good graphics but my pc has lag with it!"

4/10 persons who say that have lag, the rest have low FPS.
    Share the fun video and point out the difference between the two most common issues on the "gaming world", lag is not the same as low FPS! So now there's no excuse to say "wait guys my screen is frozen, i'm lagging!"
    Hey stop using LAG in place of LATENCY. LAG is not latency, your pc stuttering and lagging frames behind is lag. Clearly you made a rant about something you had no knowledge of. Even the definition you posted makes you seem not all there. Lag to fall behind, or linger behind, not up to speed etc this is what happens when your frames drop, and when it becomes a seconds b4 a response thats LAG, in actuality you have this ALL wrong, lag shouldn't be used for high MS ping, latency should be. Latency - Computers. the time required to locate the first bit or character in a storage location, expressed as access time minus word time.

/thread

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    Framelag is the closest I am willing to come to using "lag" to describe poor video performance. They are not the same thing. Low fps is not the same thing as lag, since lag has historically always been used to describe performance issues related to high latency. I only started seeing people use lag to describe low fps when console kids started playing wow on their parents' toshiba satellite.

The precedent is that lag is caused by network latency, not poor video hardware.
    The word lag is used properly, it is peoples own minds making this ignorant connection. Lag is being behind nothing to do w/ internet or frames or anything you want to label it wrongly with. If you are 10 feet behind the group of people your walking with YOU ARE LAGGING BEHIND. Now I would not call 100% playable frames that are not to your standards lag or lagging, but if Im stuck in 1 position and cannot move cuz the frames are getting behind where they should be, I.e you pull the boss screen freezes 20 seconds later it comes back thats LAGGING, even if you don't like it that is the definition of the word. Get over it

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Hey stop using LAG in place of LATENCY. LAG is not latency, your pc stuttering and lagging frames behind is lag. Clearly you made a rant about something you had no knowledge of. Even the definition you posted makes you seem not all there. Lag to fall behind, or linger behind, not up to speed etc this is what happens when your frames drop, and when it becomes a seconds b4 a response thats LAG, in actuality you have this ALL wrong, lag shouldn't be used for high MS ping, latency should be. Latency - Computers. the time required to locate the first bit or character in a storage location, expressed as access time minus word time.

/thread

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 05:46 PM ----------

The word lag is used properly, it is peoples own minds making this ignorant connection. Lag is being behind nothing to do w/ internet or frames or anything you want to label it wrongly with. If you are 10 feet behind the group of people your walking with YOU ARE LAGGING BEHIND. Now I would not call 100% playable frames that are not to your standards lag or lagging, but if Im stuck in 1 position and cannot move cuz the frames are getting behind where they should be, I.e you pull the boss screen freezes 20 seconds later it comes back thats LAGGING, even if you don't like it that is the definition of the word. Get over it
    Lag has been used to describe the delay caused by high latency since the early 90s when people started to play games online, lag as in fps drops started with the counterstrike kids in the early 2000s since they didn't even understand the difference.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Everyone I know reffers to lag as a general term for slowness. If there's trying to say the connection is lagging they say latency. If they're trying to say wow is lagging graphically they're to damn cheap to buy a computer that's less than 10 years old.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Lag has been used to describe the delay caused by high latency since the early 90s when people started to play games online, lag as in fps drops started with the counterstrike kids in the early 2000s since they didn't even understand the difference.
    More than they didn't understand the difference, they understood that the difference doesn't matter and is only brought up every now and then by hipsters.

Lag is a term that has been around for quite a while even before 90's, in form of "jet lag".