Deleted

I think there's a keylogger on my PC, my accounts are logged on to from China

Hello, thank you in advance for any help!
    I've noticed the stickied thread about keyloggers after i post, alil too late :/ But that post was from 3 years ago too, i'm really anxious right now, please help if you can?

I play World of Warcraft and luckily am using their authenticator app and have a google account to subscribe to channels on youtube.

Lately after i moved my OS(Win7) to my new SSD, i've been getting requests to enter authenticator codes for WoW which means that i'm logging on in a different IP or it was logged onto from another place and yesterday when i was surfing on my youtube account, i was notified that my account was logged onto from an unknown ip and i found out it's in China after i simply google it.

I'm currently only using Microsoft Security Essentials for my security, just like before my new SSD (didn't encounter problem like this).

What can i do to make sure there's no keylogger on my pc so i can safely change all my passwords using it? I'm considering getting the $15 deal for Windows 8 (haven't done much research on it, is it still available?) and shelling $40 for Kaspersky to make a clean OS install on my SSD, but is all the above necessary?

One last thing, does Windows like 7 and 8 support multiple installation or reformat with one registration key? how does it work?

Best thing to do:

-Install and run Ad-aware
    -Install and run Spybot
    -Install and run Malwarebytes

I might be out of date but that's what I usually do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    You ought to be able to reformat using the same key. I'd recommend against getting Win8 just for that. Personally I think I'd rather have a keylogger than use Win8 >.> but that's besides the point. As the guy above said, run those programs, and also CCleaner.

To be clear, your google account was logged on from somewhere else, not your battle.net account, correct? It may not be a keylogger, it may just be malware that snagged your password. Either way, a good cleaning will likely help.

Deleted
    run a full system scan and don't exclude any files/folders.
    also a premium anti-spyware program like nod32 would be my recommendation for the future. (i actually had a virus slip past my microsoft essentials)
    any suspicious sites visited/relatives/friends who used the PC very simple things can have made you pc vulnerable.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    If your using email/password that you used somewhere else (old forum...), it might just be that your email and password combination are on a hacker list.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deadjack View Post
    If your using email/password that you used somewhere else (old forum...), it might just be that your email and password combination are on a hacker list.
    this is the most common one for gamers...all of these sites we log into and such that look like clean sites end up selling our account info.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    this is the most common one for gamers...all of these sites we log into and such that look like clean sites end up selling our account info.
    No need to buy/sell.

All you need to do is compromise the website and obtain the password database. Keep in mind many large organizations including Valve have had their databases copied in the past - and simpler websites (especially things like guild forums) could certainly have information stolen without anyone even realizing it.

Unfortunately, improper storage of passwords (weak hash or no hash, no salt) is alarmingly common.

In the mean time maybe you could get a hold of or burn a Linux live CD or use another computer (i.e. your smartphone) to change your passwords, for now.

Follow the advice listed above, but don't fret too much. Just because your Google account was accessed from China doesn't necessarily mean that someone is trying to access your Battle.Net account as well.

Google accounts are often accessed from China, my own GMail account was a few years ago. Still, it is a good idea to use another computer to change the password to your Google account and your Battle.Net account just to be safe (and make sure they are different! don't use the same password for both accounts!).

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    (i actually had a virus slip past my microsoft essentials)
    Sorta off-topic, but: a lot of viruses "slip" past MSE now, it's not as good as it once was. I switched to using AVG Free 2013 on client PCs, and it picks up way more than MSE does.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-01-09 at 02:03 PM.

Yeah I had that a few months ago on my laptop. I loaded youtube and there was a banner at the top saying I'd been logged in from an unknown IP. So I checked my Gmail account and there was an E-mail saying the IP that had accessed my account was from China. I immediately logged in on another PC from my laptop and changed my password to something longer and harder to guess, I havn't had an issue since. I recommend making your password harder

Also as for reinstalling W7 with the same key (I assume it came with your PC and is stuck on the side?) that's completely fine. You can reinstall windows on your PC as many times as you need. The only time Microsoft will get annoyed is if you are installing a copy of windows that came with a PC on a different computer.
    Last edited by Nasriel; 2013-01-09 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Yeah, on the topic of difficult passwords: http://xkcd.com/936/

I just use a random word generator to get four random words whenever I need a new password haha.

Deleted
    Thanks alot guys for all the reply and help!

An update for my case:
    I've done a full scan with both MSE and free Kaspersky scanner that i've just installed and nothing turned up at all but i'm still no totally convinced so i'm now doing a full scan with trial MBAM.

My only concern is still there maybe something lurking around and when i clear all my password to reset them to something more secured, they'll all be picked up and the phisher or whatever will have a wonderful day.
    Oh and this is my only computer that i have access to at the moment :*<