Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Im sorry and will probably be banned for this but this was the most ignorant pos I have ever read in my life, with a youtube video and all. Yet everything the OP posted did nothing but prove him to be stupid. Dear DARWIN why did the human population figure out how to cheat natural selection?
    The solution is not to call people stupid but to fight fire with fire. You aren't allowed to call people stupid on here but you are allowed to say what you like as long as it's within the forum rules, it's all a big game. You are totally immune from being called stupid and no one is allowed to challenge you about your inferior knowledge in a derogatory way.

My friends and I, y'all, we be usin' "lag" 'n' "fps lag" so we don mix shit up, dawgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    The solution is not to call people stupid but to fight fire with fire. You aren't allowed to call people stupid on here but you are allowed to say what you like as long as it's within the forum rules, it's all a big game. You are totally immune from being called stupid and no one is allowed to challenge you about your inferior knowledge in a derogatory way.
    Well yea I am, I can cuz I can just say the word stupid means something it doesnt right? By allowing ignorance of our language and being ignorant to the fact is not a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Lag has been used to describe the delay caused by high latency since the early 90s when people started to play games online, lag as in fps drops started with the counterstrike kids in the early 2000s since they didn't even understand the difference.
    This is my point exactly. There is a precedent that stands when it comes to using the word when talking about computer gaming. That precedent is that the word lag, to lag, lagging, however you use it, means network latency, not poor framerates. The dictionary definition of the word lag could apply to framerates, yes, but that is not the point. When you use the word lag in context to PC gaming, it becomes a form of jargon, meaning something that does not necessarily stick to Webster's explanation.

I do not have a problem with someone saying they are having frame lag, or fps lag, or whatever else, as long as they specify something other than network latency. What I have a problem with, is the ambiguous use of the word to cover all things slow. Traditionally it was only meant to cover poor network latency, which is what most people automatically assume you mean when you say. Lag is poor ping, causing slow reactions to input and output in online games. Frame lag is low fps. Get over it.

Yeah, this drives me nuts. 9/10 it's fps problems people are describing when they say they're lagging.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been saying "computer lag" or "internet lag (or just lag)" for about 20 years....

Lag is an ancient word. Trying to tell or teach us that we're doing things wrong, when in fact you are the one in the wrong, serves mostly as a sweet irony. The word means to be behind on something. Such as lagging behind on homework.

Now, in the context of WoW, it hardly matters all that much whether you're talking about latency or video lag. The result is the same: You are limited in ability to perform. Ergo, you are lagging. Durr.

I've always called it FPS Lag. Normal network lag I just call lag.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Fall behind in movement, progress, or development; not keep pace with another or others.
    Lag is a common word meaning to fail to keep up or to fall behind. In real-time applications, the term is used when the application fails to respond in a timely fashion to inputs.
    to move, function, or develop with comparative slowness
    Most definitions allow it to fit low frame rate.

as a non native english speaker, the term lag in my mind is preserved for internet / connectivity issues, high ping, high packet loss, unstable connection, those kind of things.

fps problems caused by video card overload is refered to as "stutter", and in no way ever may be refered to as "lag".

If someone calls fps problems, long loading times or cpu bottlenecks "lag" i rightfully think, that this guy is an idiot who was no clue about computer technology. I think this kind of idiots are part of the younger demographics, who never heard a modem call in their entire life.

It's always been lag vs "slowdown" for me. As slowdown is a legit terminology for low fps:

slow·down
    [sloh-doun]
    noun
    1. a slowing down or delay in progress, action, etc.
    2. any slackening of pace
    Synonyms
    1. slackening, falloff, decline, flagging.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree on this, a poor framerate can CAUSE lag (if framerate if the person drops beyond fluid gameplay, it reflects on the outside world especially in multiplayer games), but should not be called lag. I'd just call it poor performance, or stutter.

Also:

It's frigging silly for all of you to be calling others "idiots" or anything because they use an actual word to describe, quite accurately, what happened.

Stutter sounds more like something you'd use to refer to rubberbanding, as the effect is often similar visually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    It's frigging silly for all of you to be calling others "idiots" or anything because they use an actual word to describe, quite accurately, what happened.
    Only one was doing that. And it's only annoying when you describe it with a word most commonly refered to latency.

Stutter sounds more like something you'd use to refer to rubberbanding, as the effect is often similar visually.
    I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Only one was doing that. And it's only annoying when you describe it with a word most commonly refered to latency.
    Commonly referred to is fine, but implying it's the wrong term or description is also silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    I don't understand.
    There are times when poor latency causes characters to have really weird things. Like moving forwards when pausing, "jogging", then suddenly appearing ahead of their original position. For all intents of purposes they're 'stuttering'

Always fun. /sarcasm

10+ Year Old Account
    There are times when poor latency causes characters to have really weird things. Like moving forwards when pausing, "jogging", then suddenly appearing ahead of their original position. For all intents of purposes they're 'stuttering'
    Haha, yeah i hadn't heard of the term "rubberbanding". I looked it up and now understood the comment. Also lolled at the hits i got on youtube/google.

Although we also use "rubberbanding" to refer to mechanics that assist players in catching up. For example in a racing game by giving the bottom player a booster pack of some description.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm playing from Thailand, so what I have is actually lag.
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

Does it matter? I mean if you are discussing a problem and asking for help ofc you should say. "I am having issues with low fps" rather then, with lag. But if you are pausing say a game of sc2 or playing with friends. It can be easier to say "Sorry I have lag pause the game", because everyone will straight away know what you are talking about

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Champxoxo View Post
    I saw this same thread something like 5 years ago.

I thought the same thing then as I do now.

"who gives a fuck".
    pretty much this.