Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Being forced to play fire

I'm in a guild which I currently love and very settled at however officers give me truckloads of abuse if I play frost which is my favourite spec.

Is fire as good as they say? and how can I prove that other specs are viable
    Last edited by mmoc903fed9e70; 2013-01-08 at 02:30 PM.

Deleted
    Well, frost is by far the worst DPS spec for raiding. But it depends, if you're into Herioc progression, I can see why they want you to play Arcane (top dps by far atm) or even fire.
    On Heriocs you want to have everything topped out, a DPS that can easily do 15k-20k dps more with simply another spec, makes sense to me.

If it's just normal... I wouldn't really change my way.

It's your game, you have to have fun with it.

Deleted
    If you going for realm first heroic progression than yes you should listen and play the best, if you play semi "hardcore" than any spec is viable.

Deleted
    Ok, thanks for the input guys.

Deleted
    I've rerolled hunter now but was playing frost for hc progression after the fire nerfs and did really well, topping the guilds meter often etc. Frost is a good spec if you play it perfectly.. But just understand that on most fights you can always do more damage with arcane

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignore the officers, and say that if they want a Fire Mage, they should recruit one on the proviso that they gkick them the instant they want to respec Frost or Arcane.

That should work.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

If you're doing subpar DPS and holding the raid back then you should be changing specs. If you're playing a spec which isn't optimal, and still out DPSing people, tell them to focus their attention elsewhere.

Deleted
    Most people will agree that Fire is roughly the middle of the pack and about the same as Frost. Arcane is where the real damage is right now. Fire got nerfed just after 5.1 and without reasonable gear can be frustrating and sometimes a bad class to play. Unless you are holding back your guild I suggest staying Frost. Play what makes you happy because trust me if your forced to play something you don't want to, you will resent your guild mates and soon unsub.

Quote Originally Posted by Evassac View Post
    Well, frost is by far the worst DPS spec for raiding. But it depends, if you're into Herioc progression, I can see why they want you to play Arcane (top dps by far atm) or even fire.
    On Heriocs you want to have everything topped out, a DPS that can easily do 15k-20k dps more with simply another spec, makes sense to me.

If it's just normal... I wouldn't really change my way.

It's your game, you have to have fun with it.
    Frost is not the worst spec for raiding by any stretch of the imagination, quite the contrary. If you read the forums here you'll see many people switched TO Frost from Fire after 5.1. But I 100% agree with your last sentence.

To OP: I would invite the officers to read the forums here or some other site where mages discuss current mage issues (they obviously don't play a mage), and they will see that switching to Fire is not a good idea right now. If anything, you should be looking at switching from Frost to Arcane, but like many already said, even that is not necessary unless you are struggling for heroic progression. I raid Frost in my guild, we are doing normals and I am almost always top dps, and we are killing things and progressing. The spec is just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scuac View Post
    Frost is not the worst spec for raiding by any stretch of the imagination, quite the contrary.
    http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_...11100000000000
    Frost is third-worst on average, only in front of Arms and Elemental.

However:

http://www.simulationcraft.org/510/Raid_T14H.html
    Frost is third-best, behind Arcane and Affliction, when played perfectly.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're forcing you to go Fire and not Arcane clearly they have no idea about Mage DPS anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    If they're forcing you to go Fire and not Arcane clearly they have no idea about Mage DPS anyway.
    Haha so true.
    Frost is only fine you're supposed to deal with freezable mobs. Otherwise I'm not sure how have you not changed specs yet...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    Haha so true.
    Frost is only fine you're supposed to deal with freezable mobs. Otherwise I'm not sure how have you not changed specs yet...
    5.2 aint out yet Freeze(pet) works fine on bosses.

as the others said you should just tell your officers to read these and other mage forums fire is pretty dead. If you can play near/close to perfect frost is very viable, and on some fights better than arcane, although arcane is better for most fights.

Deleted
    Arcane > frost > fire

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do they want you to go fire? If you're better at frost, you're most likely going to be pulling more DPS as frost. Fire needs a decent amount of crit to get reliable HS procs to keep Pyro's DoT reliably rolling, especially with the recent nerf to the crit bonus on abilities.
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

OMG please stop bitching about Frost if you have no clue. I play Frost and we're currently 4/16HC. I know this is not hardcore, but still I'm totally competetive to my guild mates. The 4p T14 Bonus also kicks ass compared to Fire
    Fire isn't the best spec anyway. If your raid lead wants you to go max DPS then he should make you go arcane cause that's the best mage DPS spec if you go for the absolute maximum, BUT
    1. you have to learn the spec. You have to readjust for every fight. Not everybody is super hardcore and can instantly switch specs (for me at least it takes 1-2 IDs till I can play a spec well)
    2. you have to change a lot of your equip

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/realistic-dps

>.> fire at 20th dps, frost at 2nd...... What's your raid leader smoking ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MuskiER View Post

Noxxic's not accurate.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MuskiER View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Noxxic's not accurate.
    Yep, noxxic's wrong.

And if i'll say it again, I they think fire is the best dps spec atm, they're clearly misinformed, it's been weeks, since fire nerfs, arcane is clearly the top dps spec atm.
    If your dps is fine with frost spec, and you're enjoying, you should tell them to go look elsewhere.

Noxxic's mage guide was horribly wrong for the entirety of Cata... how anyone can trust their assessment for anything (especially mages) in MoP just boggles my mind.