Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Whats it like in Germany?

I got some good information from people who visited and also lived / lives in Sweden (i may visit some day). So I also am interested in Germany. What is it like in Germany? How are the people? Weather? Government? Also, if you have lived there, whats the feel of living there? Any nice sights to see?

Deleted
    I must say that my trip to Berlin, even though I was only there for barely 4 hours, was one of the most interesting ones. The Brandenburg Tor-area offers one of the most fascinating experiences ever if you're a cultural freak like me. Very clean area, awesome contrast between West and East Germany, plenty of nice art everywhere and the best Soviet-inspired apparel this side of the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great beer, awful food. The Germans keep invading the French for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Germany is a great country. If you're into history then make sure to visit the u-boat museum.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would like to know what germany's castles are like if they still have any. i have always been interested in castles. something about living in a gigantic stone fortress appeals to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i would like to know what germany's castles are like if they still have any. i have always been interested in castles. something about living in a gigantic stone fortress appeals to me.
    Germany definitely has one of the most beautiful array of castles in the world. Hohenzollern Castle comes to mind.

Deleted
    There's a lot of Germans
    also, I heared Berlin is a very nice,modern city

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Germany definitely has one of the most beautiful array of castles in the world. Hohenzollern Castle comes to mind.
    All I have to say is... WOW, that is amazing!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Great beer, awful food. The Germans keep invading the French for a reason.
    Thanks for the laugh

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    I believe you want to head to Rhineland for those. But yeah, there are tons still around, from both pre-Renaissance and post-Renaissance eras. They even have one that inspired the disney castle

10+ Year Old Account
    Are the people in Germany accepting of non German speaking people in their country?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Are the people in Germany accepting of non German speaking people in their country?
    Yeah, as far as I'm aware, German people are pretty good with English, though their accent can be hard to grasp at times.

Still haven't found where you want to move yet then lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I visited Amsterdam, I was told to learn a few choice German phrases to avoid the inevitable beggars on the streets. Apparently the Dutch hate Germans? Any truth to that?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Apparently the Dutch hate Germans? Any truth to that?
    Dutch is german with a spanish accent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I took a German class that did a lot of cultural studies, and the country sounds great. The system is better in education of trying to teach people for their profession, not teach them everything in the book and then stare at them until they make a decision about what they will do for the rest of their life. You also can go to the Universities in any EU countries, it's sad that multiple countries in Europe can communicate and work better than states in the US. However, don't expect to ever become a citizen, because you can't. At best, if your kids are really young, they have a chance to possibly at some point become citizens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Germany is awesome. One particular reason why I like it is because most of their larger cities are part-modern and part-old as a result of WWII bombing and I like both. Berlin and Hamburg are particularly nice examples of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Still haven't found where you want to move yet then lol.
    Does this imply that they dont like Americans? Not sure of the intent of your post here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Does this imply that they dont like Americans? Not sure of the intent of your post here.
    I don't get his post either but just address your question; Germans don't like Americans any more than your average European does. Then again Australians, Canadians, or Kiwis don't like Americans more than Europeans so it's a pretty safe bet. Europe and those 3 countries are still the friendliest places Americans can go to. Given the current image of the US in the world. :S

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I as a German can say , that my country is great , and I am happy to live in Germany.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    When I visited Amsterdam, I was told to learn a few choice German phrases to avoid the inevitable beggars on the streets. Apparently the Dutch hate Germans? Any truth to that?
    No that's not true. We only "hate" them when we have to play football (soccer) against them.

You won't find many cultural differences between The Netherlands and Germany (nor Sweden really), nothing that really stands out anyway. I speak Dutch and German fluently and am currently in the process of learning Swedish... the languages are so alike you often mix them up once you know them.