Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not enough to prevent them from being slaughtered for delicious beef, for instance.
    I prefer to think of cows as 'walking tacos'. Delicious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you imagine Lincoln giving a speach on all men being created equal, but not doing anything to end slavory? Comparing animal breeding to racism ignores that whole, animals are property. It's like complaining that the manufacturer of black shirts is racist towards white shirts. It should really show the complete lack if understanding of racism by the OP.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

People generally don't like to talk about racism. But in the case of animals..

In my personal opinion, no it isn't considered racist. But lets consider a thought experiment. Lets say that horses, for example showed intelligence akin to our own and developed societies and a culture. Would it then be considered racist to only breed the strongest, fastest and most intelligent of the species?

Again I don't think so. Because it furthers the progress of stronger genes onto the next generation of horses. Theoretically, the horses of future generations would eventually get stronger, faster and more intelligent. But then you have the genetics factor that doesn't always pass on the strongest genes so you will still end up with an average.

Now, apply what we do with the horses, to humans. Only let the smart/strong/fast to breed. We have a point in history where a man had an idea that blonde hair and blue eyes was the perfect genetic traits and tried to exterminate anyone who didn't fall into that category. Take a look at how THAT ended.

It's a slippery slope but you cannot apply that to animals because it isn't their own doing. We're getting involved and making it happen. How can it be racist if its not our race that we're trying to improve?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    why are people trying to attach the concept of racism to everyfuckingthing? just stop
    Because they don't understand it...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    ....animals are property.
    Weren't slaves property too?

Yes, people that say that they want to keep their race clean and are actively popularizing it amongst the people of their race are considered rasists by many people.

You can tell your daughter that she should not marry the asian guy, but if you say it publicly(that white women should not marry black guys to prevent your race from extinction) you'll be eaten alive.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydiddlydoo View Post
    that was his point

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the part you didn't quote for the answer. /facepalm

Once animals are proven to be sentient beings and not lower lifeforms then your analogy will be valid, and we'll all be terrible people.

Deleted
    The title of the thread has nothing to do with it's content.

Racism is, at perhaps its simplest, discrimination against people different from the racist in terms of "race", and since "races" have no real difference aside their identity, it is has no real purpose.
    Breeding is artificial selection, and is the same as evolution but for the fact that instead of the most useful characteristics surviving, it's those desired by the breeder, and has a definite purpose of producing the desired offspring, like the fluffiest polar bear, or quietest shrew, or tastiest apple (pick the realistic one).
    There is no discrimination in breeding apart from that against undesirable characteristics, like bald polar bears, deaf shrews that shout like grumpy old men in cartoons, and bad apples, while Racism is nothing but discrimination.
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    If you weren't speaking english I'd call you a racist for applying the word to humans, honestly.
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, implying that the difference between a black man and a white man is comparable to the one between a yorkshire terrier and a rotweiler is utterly disgusting.
    That has absolutely nothing to do with the actual definition of a "race".
    All humans are part of the same species : Homo sapiens. This means that every fertile individual in this group can reproduce with another fertile individual of the opposite gender. It is the actual definition of "Species".

Now "races" are fuzzy limits to begin with, whatever the species you decide to take into consideration.
    There ARE humans of different races. There ARE different phenotypes among humans. We ARE different. Things get wrong when you start thinking about some kind of "priority", "superiority" lying on those genetical, phenotypical differences.

Denying differences, all kinds of differences between people, which appears to be a sacred principle in France, is the hallway to misunderstanding. We have to accept differences, and deal with them intelligently, not deny them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Once animals are proven to be sentient beings and not lower lifeforms then your analogy will be valid, and we'll all be terrible people.
    I don't think caring about which color of animal we like to eat, is as much a deal to them as being eaten. Complaining about racism of things that we have enouph respect for to include in TV dinners, is idiotic. How is something that has no right to live supposed to care about racism?

Quote Originally Posted by razski View Post
    Now, apply what we do with the horses, to humans. Only let the smart/strong/fast to breed. We have a point in history where a man had an idea that blonde hair and blue eyes was the perfect genetic traits and tried to exterminate anyone who didn't fall into that category. Take a look at how THAT ended.
    No one knows how it would have ended.
    World wide empire. No borders. One universal language. No more wars.
    A lot of racism, but such things never last forever. Americans used black people as slaves for hundreds of years. And now they have the black president.

But good guys came, killed 5 million bad guys with the cost of the death of ~50 millions good guys and did not let it happen. So we'll never know how it would have ended.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Maybe it was a Kunta Kinte ice cream bar that said "my name is toby" everytime you licked it?
    It was "Nogger Black" (No, "nogger" does not mean "nigger" in Swedish) which was, IIRC, a licorice version of an ice cream called "Nogger" (which is nougat flavored).

The organization that threw a fit was, as always with these silly things, Afrosvenskarnas Riksförbund (they've also called art created by a black African as a statement against female genital manipulation racist because part of it involved a "blackface" cake).

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    I don't think caring about which color of animal we like to eat, is as much a deal to them as being eaten. Complaining about racism of things that we have enouph respect for to include in TV dinners, is idiotic. How is something that has no right to live supposed to care about racism?
    Precisely my point. We eat animals because they are viewed as lower lifeforms.

If scientists suddenly proved they were sentient like human beings, we'd be in for a world of hurt and devoid of delicious meat.

Deleted
    Could you elaborate and explain why? Dont animals have rights too?
    Not even humans have a right to not be discriminated against when it comes to choosing sexual partners. Why the fuck should animals have those rights?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eled. View Post
    Now "races" are fuzzy limits to begin with, whatever the species you decide to take into consideration.
    There ARE humans of different races. There ARE different phenotypes among humans. We ARE different. Things get wrong when you start thinking about some kind of "priority", "superiority" lying on those genetical, phenotypical differences.

Denying differences, all kinds of differences between people, which appears to be a sacred principle in France, is the hallway to misunderstanding. We have to accept differences, and deal with them intelligently, not deny them.
    I accept differences. What I don't accept is applying the notion of race to human beings. You've said yourself that the definition is fuzzy. To me, you can apply it to the different phenotypes of dogs, as they vary considerably, but not to humans. We're not that different.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 07:30 PM ----------

If scientists suddenly proved they were sentient like human beings, we'd be in for a world of hurt and devoid of delicious meat.
    Honestly I wouldn't care. Seems pretty obvious that most animals are intelligent beings. At some point I had to justify to myself that I could crush mosquitoes just because they annoyed me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Precisely my point. We eat animals because they are viewed as lower lifeforms.

I want bacon! Anyway to make sure it came from only white pigs? Ah, who am I kidding!!?? I love bacon of every color pig! Black, white or spotted... All delicious... In unity... In my belly... Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't care. Seems pretty obvious that most animals are intelligent beings. At some point I had to justify to myself that I could crush mosquitoes just because they annoyed me.
    Turkeys and chickens don't seem particularly bright, I dunno about cows or pigs though. 'Birdbrain' had to be coined from something.

This topic suddenly reminded be of the South Park episode where they got that Japanese to stop killing 'dolphin and whale' and starting killing 'chicken and cow' like the rest of the world. One of my favorites.

FUK YOO DULPHEEN!
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2013-01-08 at 06:37 PM.